14 - Javier Mascherano

XaviMessiGirl

This coming from a die-hard Liverpool fan who, despite Mascherano's departure, will be buying a Barca shirt with Mascherano on the back.

Mascherano is a VERY GOOD passer. I have been watching him all of his years at Liverpool and don't be fool by his "tough" playing style. Last year iin the EPL he made more passes than anyone else in the league. Although most of those passers are the result of him taking the ball from an opponent and then quickly giving it to another midfielder, he does do a lot of good passing. Hell, his last play for Liverpool was laying a great little pass to NGog who went on to score.

Despite Mascherano being a defensive midfielder, he is very quick and a good passer. He will flourish even more in all of the space that Barcelona creates I believe.

Sad to see him go.

Hey man, make yourself at home, I support both Barca and Liverpool, so :D

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Mascherano is a VERY GOOD passer. I have been watching him all of his years at Liverpool and don't be fool by his "tough" playing style. Last year iin the EPL he made more passes than anyone else in the league. Although most of those passers are the result of him taking the ball from an opponent and then quickly giving it to another midfielder, he does do a lot of good passing. Hell, his last play for Liverpool was laying a great little pass to NGog who went on to score.

Despite Mascherano being a defensive midfielder, he is very quick and a good passer. He will flourish even more in all of the space that Barcelona creates I believe.

Sad to see him go.

good post.

mascherano may not be xavi but in terms of passing to a team-mate and retaining possession (the basis of our style) he's superb: and here's the proof (clickity click)

Barcafan 2304

This coming from a die-hard Liverpool fan who, despite Mascherano's departure, will be buying a Barca shirt with Mascherano on the back.

Sad to see him go.

Nice to hear that mate, hope you stick around here

W

woobie

Hi. I'm still at the phase of (mostly) newbie questions about Barcelona players/formation/etc so here's another one.

Mascherano's signing is, from what I can see, a very good one for Barcelona. He's a quality DM, no doubt about it. That said, there seem to be quite a few people who are convinced he's going to automatically take the starting DM position from Busquets. Now maybe I'm looking more at the World Cup performances than some of the league performances, but it seems to me that Busquets is a remarkably good DM for his young age, and one who suits the Barcelona style of play quite well. So, if my analysis is anywhere approaching generally accepted views...why's he going to be benched?

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
It is very hard to believe that Busquets will necessarily be benched due to the arrival of 'El Jefecito".

You have to consider that Mascherano's arrival gives Barça an option in the midfield to create a double-pivot, which would operate quite neatly against certain teams with a creative AM/CM (I think Meta had already made this point in one of his many posts). With only one substitution the midfield can be changed to suit different tactics of the opposite team, which imho. is never a bad option.

One last thing is that Pep will rotate and despite of not necessarily playing with a double-pivot week in week out, he will still be able to play both in a satisfactory amount of games. It all will depend on many variables such as form, tactics and performance in overall.

Mascherano actually even admitted that he would be crazy to think to play every game, yet still being available when needed.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
We'll see how it all shakes out but I still believe there will be scenarios whereby both Busquets & Mascherano will play together

Chevy

Hi. I'm still at the phase of (mostly) newbie questions about Barcelona players/formation/etc so here's another one.

Mascherano's signing is, from what I can see, a very good one for Barcelona. He's a quality DM, no doubt about it. That said, there seem to be quite a few people who are convinced he's going to automatically take the starting DM position from Busquets. Now maybe I'm looking more at the World Cup performances than some of the league performances, but it seems to me that Busquets is a remarkably good DM for his young age, and one who suits the Barcelona style of play quite well. So, if my analysis is anywhere approaching generally accepted views...why's he going to be benched?
Simple, he's not.

There's enough space for both Busquets and Mascherano. They'll both get plenty of playing time - sometimes seperate, sometimes together. But they are very different in terms of style so having them both gives Pep some nice options.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
It is very unlikely that Busi will be subbed , Javier will help us in a bigger way when injuries will start kicking in.

(depends on Busi`s performance though)

W

woobie

Thank you all for the detailed explanations! Rotation and/or tactical decisions and/or fitness etc all make good sense. Appreciate the help; I'm trying to slowly move from being an occasional watcher of Barcelona games to someone who understands the team reasonably well.

(I will admit I was also slightly worried at not seeing regular anteater images in the Busquets thread after every game. The anteater's way cooler than the badger).

Barcafan 2304

We'll see how it all shakes out but I still believe there will be scenarios whereby both Busquets & Mascherano will play together

There is mate, 100% agreed. Dont understand this thinking where some on here feel its one or the other. In fact, in big games against RM and in the CL, I can see them both starting

Home of Barca Fans