Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebieymjunior

Yes, he should stay. I'd go as far as to say that if it comes down to Cesc leaving and nobody else being bought, I'd like that. I'd be fine with a midfield of Xavi, Iniesta, Rafinha and Roberto, while Xavi gets a more and more restricted role in the squad.
Of course it'd be good to get another midfielder.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Should his number be retired?

If he goes ofc

It can't. La Liga only allows 1-25 on first team squad, retiring a number permanently would be far too limiting. Maybe for 1 season, but if Puyi doesn't get his number retired for a few seasons, then Xavi shouldn't either.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
It can't. La Liga only allows 1-25 on first team squad, retiring a number permanently would be far too limiting. Maybe for 1 season, but if Puyi doesn't get his number retired for a few seasons, then Xavi shouldn't either.

ah fair dues, i wasn't aware of that rule

Ursegor

World Champion
If Xavi were to leave, I can already see the story being spun to be about them not getting along well, when the more likely story would be about Xavi not wanting to accept a lesser role. It's not a mystery that Xavi has a huge ego, has been rumored to give Tata the business behind the scenes about how Barca philosophy should be, etc. etc. I hope Lucho tries his hardest to keep our seniors and restore harmony and working order in the team, but as for bending over and allowing stagnation and players to do what they want (as it looked like last season) I'm praying Lucho puts a stop to that immediately.

There is nothing that indicates that Xavi showed unprofessional behaviour except one or two children on this forum going berserk because Barca played possession football like ... well ... all the time. And because Xavi is associated with possession it was Xavi's fault.

Ritchie

Xavi does have an ego and can sulk. He was threatening to retire from Spain after the Euros because Del Bosque subbed him off a couple of times and played him in a different role.

Maybe next season should be his last (he doesn't need to stay till he's 36 where we really can't play him much) but he needs to back the coach and keep his opinions to himself more. He's had a wonderful career here but we don't want him going like Raul towards the end. Especially without Puyol and Valdes around now. It's difficult for footballers when their time is coming to an end.

Don't forget as well it was apparently senior players who convinced the Barca board not to go for Enrique last summer. Xavi could have been part of that.

Last edited:

Yes I realize that but Messi is a legend too. If Puyol's number won't be retirered then no one number won't.

i don't get the retiring numbers Bs.
who cares if Milan still us or use not the number 6? and if you do it systematically there will be a point when you don't have numbers left

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We cant retire a number. For our 1st team squad in La Liga, we can only use numbers from 1 to 25 and we therfore lose a place. Its a strange rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans