Xavi Hernandez

delancey

I just rewatched to check something and it was as I thought: Xavi says “Presi(president), no somos tan mal.” Because he says somos instead of estamos it translates to “we are not that bad” instead of “our situation is not as bad” and it would seem he is referring to the quality of the squad rather than the state the club is in. So how it looks is that Laporta and Xavi at one point at least had an argument about the quality of the squad. Which I think is fine behind closed doors, but to call him out like that in victory speech was surprising. I don’t think it says anything about Xavi’s situation and that his job was jeopardy. Actually, it shows Xavi and Laporta to have a good understanding since Xavi is comfortable throwing something like that in his speech. But it is a bit of an awkward thing to say especially with all the players standing there behind him. These are seemingly innocuous comments but they expose a lack of confidence from the president which from a PR standpoint is something Xavi might have done better to not have said.

One option I am considering is that within catalan laid-back culture it is permitted for things like this to be casually said. So to outsiders it looks a bit weird.
Thank you for sharing. I loved reading your post and analysis.

Horatio

You're welcome
Thank you for sharing. I loved reading your post and analysis.
lol was barely analysis. Just opinion piece on something I did not expected to hear. Same as the inter president that said he would have never believed inter to make it into final earlier in season.

jamrock

Probably the wrong place to put this, but why did we have a parade before getting the cup?

Players were probably like we're on vacation mode after that.

Prodi

I just rewatched to check something and it was as I thought: Xavi says “Presi(president), no somos tan mal.” Because he says somos instead of estamos it translates to “we are not that bad” instead of “our situation is not as bad” and it would seem he is referring to the quality of the squad rather than the state the club is in. So how it looks is that Laporta and Xavi at one point at least had an argument about the quality of the squad. Which I think is fine behind closed doors, but to call him out like that in victory speech was surprising. I don’t think it says anything about Xavi’s situation and that his job was jeopardy. Actually, it shows Xavi and Laporta to have a good understanding since Xavi is comfortable throwing something like that in his speech. But it is a bit of an awkward thing to say especially with all the players standing there behind him. These are seemingly innocuous comments but they expose a lack of confidence from the president which from a PR standpoint is something Xavi might have done better to not have said.

One option I am considering is that within catalan laid-back culture it is permitted for things like this to be casually said. So to outsiders it looks a bit weird.
It has nothing to do with it. It was a gesture of affection for Laporta.

Laporta's most famous speech is: "Al loro, que no estamos tan mal" "Watch out, we're not that bad"
Also at the end he had another gesture of affection with the figure of johan cruyff. "Gallina de piel"

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...i-celebra-gallina-piel-guino-laporta-mal.html
Laporta speech

In fact, in interviews after the game, he has complained that he feels that there are some groups from Barcelona (journalism and fans, Followers of Nuñez-Rosell-Bartomeu) who seem not to be happy about the team winning.

Iniesta Ultra

I just started watching the celebration and Xavi does say estamos not somos. Regardless not a good look to call Laporta out since Xavi's the main problem and Laporta enabling him. What's up with rhino grabbing the trophy from panda only two seconds after he gets it from gazelle smfh!

Last edited:

Slevinn

I’m surprised that Xavi didn’t give some youngsters a chance to start, as they absolutely would have had something to play for. How about starting Garcia as our pívot, and giving Torre and Yamal a shot?
Yamal is playing U17 Euro’s and I don’t think we will see many B players when they are fighting for promotion sadly.
He did give Garcia and Torre a shot but bit too late. Guess he wanted to play the strongest team to win before the celebrations.

Horatio

You're welcome
I just started watching the celebration and Xavi does say estamos not somos. Regardless not a good look to call Laporta out since Xavi's the main problem and Laporta enabling him. What's up with rhino grabbing the trophy from panda only two seconds after he gets it from gazelle smfh!

Hmmm… I keep hearing somos but u could he right. But estamos could still refer to condition to the team. But not the other way around. If he were talking about state of club woul not use somos.

delancey

Yamal is playing U17 Euro’s and I don’t think we will see many B players when they are fighting for promotion sadly.
He did give Garcia and Torre a shot but bit too late. Guess he wanted to play the strongest team to win before the celebrations.
On Yamal, fair enough.

Have a look at City’s lineup last weekend. I like a manager who has balls to completely change the lineup like that, and give players who haven’t played a lot to implement the tactics of the manager… and to show what they’ve got.

Torre is getting a shot to prove himself tonight. Good. I bet he’ll score. 😏

Ansu? :lol:

Last edited:

Slevinn

On Yamal, fair enough.

Have a look at City’s lineup last weekend. I like a manager who has balls to completely change the lineup like that, and give players who haven’t played a lot to implement the tactics of the manager… and to show what they’ve got.

Torre is getting a shot to prove himself tonight. Good. I bet he’ll score. 😏

Ansu? :lol:
City still has 2 finals so I think that was more about resting the players.
They also have a better bench than us with some world class players.

Anyway what a shitshow again. Hope we give it all one more time in Busi’s last game and hope for better football next year.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We've won the league sure, but most of the performances this season + these last few ones doesn't inspire much confidence.

We should not renew his contract yet. Let's see how next season goes until the winter break in terms of the product on the pitch and results.

Home of Barca Fans