Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

delancey

Xavi is trying to emulate Manchester City’s tactics by constantly passing the ball out to the wings in order to eventually “gape” the defense. And City does this very well, for the ball is moved quickly. Very quickly. We see combination play used constantly. It is beautiful. Don’t we practice tactical moves or what?

More importantly, the ball is oftentimes passed back to the center of the pitch, with attackers (and mids) waiting behind the lines… for a killer pass. This means that there’s a threat from all angles, which is difficult to defend against. And it removes all predictability from the game… another weapon that we fail miserably at.

I loved Alvarez’ goal assisted by Foden last night. Wish we would see these type of goals more often here.

Random thought: I like how Grealish oftentimes receives the ball on the wing, and carries the ball to the center in front of goal. He does this very very well. Dembele does this too, but oftentimes ends up shooting the ball to the heavens… or fails to recognize the most intelligent pass.

Chemistry between Dembele and Auba was very good, and Xavi should have recognized this… instead of bringing in Lewandowski. Foolish transfer if you ask me.

City scored 4 goals on an Italian parked buss. It was such a joy to watch, and City’s success has everything to do with Pep’s tactics. Barcelona’s hierarchy, and La Liga’s mismanagement of the league, really fucked up by allowing the great exodus of talent and brain power from the league.

Porque

It will be hard for Xavi to replicate where they don't get the game time in league games to practice this style at a higher tempo, where you gain experience in performing the style with lesser seconds/half seconds in decision making.

We saw how inferior we setup against Man Utd and how much better they were than us in those two legs. Yes we missed a few players, and yes Utd were at their season peak during that period, but it is a slippery slope when in the majority of LaLiga games we do not need to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

Same problem that undoes PSG every year, more or less.

delancey

It will be hard for Xavi to replicate where they don't get the game time in league games to practice this style at a higher tempo, where you gain experience in performing the style with lesser seconds/half seconds in decision making.

We saw how inferior we setup against Man Utd and how much better they were than us in those two legs. Yes we missed a few players, and yes Utd were at their season peak during that period, but it is a slippery slope when in the majority of LaLiga games we do not need to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear.

Same problem that undoes PSG every year, more or less.
That is a good point. It reminds me of how creative and innovative the human mind becomes when forced to find solutions.

BerkeleyBernie

"This is a team that have won the league at a time of change and financial crisis, working within a club with €1bn debt, building work at the Camp Nou about to force them into exile at Montjuïc, and with the Negreira case as a backdrop, all the noise that has surrounded them".

Nice little read by sid Lowe.

Read a couple of articles about the league win,almost all of them use a variation of those words to highlight how well the club has done to win the league, CONTEXT matters.

But Barca forum...

Honestly, not much fun to watch. But no denying Xavi's achievement with the squad on hand. Superb defensive record, only 13 goals allowed all season. Atletico Madrid next best defense with over 2x as many (27 goals allowed).

JamDav1982

Not Pedri fault that most of his great passes are wasted by his teammates.

Pedri scores important goals in those 1-0 wins streak.

Also he is the player with most through ball in Liga (highest per 90 if you want detail).

De Jong has been great lately but Pedri is there from beginning of season to end.

Nah FDJ been better and Pedri was out injured and Barca won 6 of 7 and beat Real twice.

FDJ gets injured and they lose to Real in worst defeat in 15 years and fail to beat Girona and Getafe.

Pedri got some important winning goals.. four.. lets not overplay it or make out that makes him better than anyone else who didnt score.

FDJ still had the bigger performances and better than Pedri v Real etc.

Pedri scored away to Villareal for example but FDJ was head and shoulders best player in that game.

FDJ was the one who was there this season more than Pedri and started more games so that is a bizarre claim that 'Pedri is there from beginning to seasons end'

Last edited:

jamrock

Mats
Kounde--Araujo--christensen--Balde.

----kimmich----De Jong

-----pedri---------------Gavi

-------messi--------Lewa

Holy shit things are happening.

Is this the best XI in the history of Football everything? Idk I'm just asking questions.

soul24rage

Mats
Kounde--Araujo--christensen--Balde.

----kimmich----De Jong

-----pedri---------------Gavi

-------messi--------Lewa

Holy shit things are happening.

Is this the best XI in the history of Football everything? Idk I'm just asking questions.
I'd have Dembele on the RW for Gavi and Pedri cutting in from the left.

Dream would be to have Julian Alvarez for Lewy, then the team would be great.

jamrock

I'd have Dembele on the RW for Gavi and Pedri cutting in from the left.

Dream would be to have Julian Alvarez for Lewy, then the team would be great.

That could work, but you need the work rate of Gavi in that team.

Dembele, lewa and Messi won't defend, 1 player too many.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Messi's inclusion kinda messes up the team I have to admit.

I'd sacrifice Gavi's workrate for Dembele's pace and him being able to provide some width in the team. Without that it becomes too one-dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans