Xavi Hernández

BJJ

Gavi has 1 goal and 3 assists in La Liga 22/23. I am all for giving younger players a shot at proving themselves… but this is simply not good enough for a starter at Barca.
Exactly. And I'd really like to see our players under an experienced, big name manager. I don't think Xavi is getting the best out of this squad.

JamDav1982

It works both ways... Gavi has not been as good this season but MATS, Araujo, Christensen, FDJ, Pedri, Balde etc have all had good seasons.

Cant have it only that the players not perforing is on Xavi and ones playing well is just their expected standard.

The big season for Xavi is next year. He has had his time to learn and assess his squad for how he wants to play..... made a lot of mistakes particularly in Europe and now needs to show has learned from them.

There is no way they should be sacking him at this point.

delancey

The reason why many international fans are criticizing the current version of Barcelona is because of how we play, which is neither entertaining nor effective against top tier teams.

In my opinion, here’s why:

Our main attribute as a team focuses on nullifying the tempo of a game rather than controlling an attack-focused tempo that is difficult to overcome for the opposition. This works against less talented opposition, but as soon as a team has superior tactics than our own, we fail to do what we do best… break our opponent’s momentum and nullify the tempo of the game. This is effective but very very dull to watch.

Point is, Christensen, Araujo, Kounde, De Jong, Pedri, Gavi, implement the aforementioned game plan very very well. Break the tempo of the game. And when we score the first goal, it’s game on. But what happens when our opponent scores the first goal?

The problem is….

that there’s a disconnect between our midfield and our attack. And this is a result of tactics… which Xavi is responsible for implementing. Our attacks are oftentimes slow, predictable, and dependent on individual talent. We lack combination play between the midfield and the attack, and transitions are oftentimes slow and/or non-existent. We fail to attack from the center of the pitch, pass the ball forward in tight spaces, and do so quickly in order to overwhelm the opposition. Our midfield has been instructed to play the damn ball out to the wings, which the opponent expects, and defends with 2-3 players against our wingers, nullifying the threat. The ball returns to the midfield and out to a winger on the other side. Rinse and repeat.

Thru balls are essentially non-existent, for we are seldom in a position to implement them. There’s a disconnect between our midfield and attack. Combination play, tactics, and purpose should be instilled in the players, where each player does not even think about what to do next. Habit takes over. It just happens. With one objective in mind, to score a goal, as quickly as possible, with as little predictability as possible. All players should pose a threat. All angles should pose a danger for the opposition. And in order for this to occur, we need a manager who understands tactics in and out, ala Guardiola. This is not Xavi. Not now. Maybe in 10 years?

And it’s not a coincidence that our entire attack is underperforming. It has little to do with talent, and everything to do with what I described above. A does not know what B is doing or wants to do. Cross and inshallah, that’s as far as our attacking tactics go.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJJ

iniestaGOAT

Where are INIESTAGOAT and Serghei?

Still hungover from celebrating the league?
🤣

Season is over you idiot

That was a friendly, why you calling me over a game i didnt even watch

New low for XAvi haters, attacking him for losing a meaningless game

iniestaGOAT

Gavi has 1 goal and 3 assists in La Liga 22/23. I am all for giving younger players a shot at proving themselves… but this is simply not good enough for a starter at Barca.

And? How many goals and Assists did Iniesta have?

Some people are just winners.

If Gavi keeps winning we will accept the 5 goals 5 assists seasons

BJJ

Season is over you idiot

That was a friendly, why you calling me over a game i didnt even watch

New low for XAvi haters, attacking him for losing a meaningless game
Douchebag, your boy is going to find it much harder next season. Forget Europe,Real won't be as bad next season.

Andresito

Staff member
Why 2026? Would rather have waited to see how he'll fare in Europe and if he's learned anything from the failures in the group stages.

The renewal of Xavi until 2026, coinciding with the end of Laporta's term, is progressing well, but there are still aspects to be agreed. It's assumed that an agreement will be reached, but it's not expected for this week.

Home of Barca Fans