Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

• Buffon

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Victor Valdés

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Julio Cesar

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Casillas

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • Cech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van der Sar

• Lloris

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Adler

• Akinfeev

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Reina

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Yes I know you could, and I would also. This is why I said that I was very conscious of not including him in the options list, because he is indeed excellent.
However, the points a, b and c that I listed would put him out of contention in the face of keepers such as Akinfeev and Adler.

Firstly: Has he really done remarkable? He got relegated, he failed to win a single trophy aside from the Intertoto Cup... No, he hasn't done remarkable. He has done well considering the defence he has had put in front of him, but you can't just say 'it's only Newcastle' because Given was at Newcastle when they were one of the biggest clubs. It is so so simplistic to blame everything on the defence. Just like people say Barca's defence is so great so VV is a crap goalkeeper. No - he is not, and Barca's defence isn't so great. Madrid's defence has often been crap (until this season, perhaps) and yet Casillas is one of the best, if not the best GK in the world.
Also, you don't play in a team with a bad defence because of random reasons, you play there because you haven't merited a move up to a better club. Why have Arsenal and Liverpool - to name a few, not replaced their bumbling goalkeepers with Given if he were so great?
Never mind that - at this point you have to compare him to the other players who I have put on the list but may or may not merit a place ahead of Given.
Akinfeev and Adler both play for clubs who are better than Newcastle, and are either currently participating in top European competition or if not this year then have consistently done so. They are the undisputed no.1 keepers at their respective clubs. More importantly, they have reached these prominent positions at the ages of 23 and 25, respectively, which is a full 8 years younger than Given. This is significant, and certainly tips the scale in their favour if we consider them to be of roughly equal ability.

Secondly: Ireland did not qualify for Euro 2008, nor did the qualify for the 2010 World Cup. They did not qualify for the 2006 World Cup, nor did they qualify for Euro 2004. They did not qualify for Euro 1996, nor did they qualify for Euro 2000.
In fact Shay Given has only ever participated in international finals competition in 2002 in Japan & Korea. So yes, saying that Ireland are a crap team is a slight exaggeration, but Shay Given's Ireland have indeed been crap, just as Hungary have been, in that they've failed to qualify. Ireland are bad because they failed to qualify for 6 out of 7 of the international finals, which is an 86% failure, which imo classifies as not world class. However, Akinfeev and Adler are at the head of the international footballing world as they are no.1s for two massive teams. Russia made the semis under Akinfeev during Euro 2008 and Given was at home watching him make world class saves to win Russia the tie against the Netherlands. Russia failed to qualify for the World Cup in 2010 just as Ireland did in the knockout phase, but if you look at the wave of talent and strength coming from the east in club competition, Russian qualification for the Euros in 2012 and the next WC is a safe bet. And then you have Adler whose case doesn't even need to be argued since he is with the Germans, who are always there, always good, always successful, and always piss me off.

Thirdly: Of course, I know given will probably go on to play for 4, maybe 5,6 more years. But I think anyone would say a 23 year old performing at the same level as a 33 year old is more deserving of note.

given didnt get relegated, he left at january last year when newcastle werent in the relegation zone. you cant judge a keeper on the team. he is a class keeper, perhaps not the best in the world but easily in the top 10, perhaps only weak on crosses. no different to valdes. his shot stopping is incredible.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Casillas for sure, only challenged by maybe Buffon and Julio Cesar. Then the rest eg Valdes, Lloris, Akinfeev etc.

NickoH

You see, nobody ever goes in... and nobody ever co
I wouldn't swap Pepe Reina for anyone and that's not me being biased.

beef-supreme

given didnt get relegated, he left at january last year when newcastle werent in the relegation zone. you cant judge a keeper on the team. he is a class keeper, perhaps not the best in the world but easily in the top 10, perhaps only weak on crosses. no different to valdes. his shot stopping is incredible.

Well yeah newcastle were a couple of points outside of it. Of course I agree with the fact that he's a good goalkeeper which is why i put him first in my list of who I didn't manage to fit into the 10 choices, but then imo the reasons I listed in my post justify why, in comparison with the other options he shouldn't be there.

beef-supreme

I think that Casillas is the best keeper by the way. I think that if anyone, Victor Valdes has shown in the past few months perhaps years why he is underrated and deserves his place at Barca.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Its hard to name one good goal keeper because they don't control anything, usually shit just piles on top of them. A goal keeper could concede six goals and still would have played an amazing game.

However, one way of looking at goal keepers is not the fact that they make incredible saves, on the contrary, how easy they make the saves look.

While a lot of people are growing out of the Buffon phase, the reason why he lasts so long and still considered #1 by many is because of his sheer class in positioning. I do not see him making incredible saves often enough because he puts himself in positions where the ball would seem easy to catch. Another person in this category is VDS. Maybe its because of his height, but a lot of it is due to schooling and natural ability to stand in the proper position. Julio Cesar for instance, has developed that skill as well. His approach to crosses was erratic and often hilarious for rivals however, he has calmed down a lot since his arrival at Inter and improved dramatically. His anticipation to freekicks has improved quite a bit as well, making him a contender for the best keeper in the world. An upcoming keeper of this mold is Lloris. It will come with age and experience but he is calm and collected, has very good natural reflexes.

Casillas for example often more than not makes awkward saves when he does not need to. Valdes it the same way. Kahn made saves look harder than they should as well. Kameni is another example of young keepers who make saves look harder than they are. If he were to be better coached, his athletic abilities can take him to top three.

It is not about the number of saves or the wow factor, goal keepers also need to be able to calmly organize their defense and deflect a lot of the pressure off them and onto the defense, which is Casillas' biggest weakness a long with freekicks. His communication skills are poor in my opinion. I would say Valdes is a bit louder which is good, but both Buffon and Cesar are as loud and effective as they should be, they are leaders of the defense not the primary CB.

I still rank Casillas as number one for his natural skills are just undisputed and the amount of times he has kept a way below average Real Madrid still making it to the top 4 are remarkable. His consistency, and a never say die attitude is truly Madridismo however at times, he could have saved his goal a couple of goals if he was better at communicating.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Well, at the moment, is Casillas. Infortunately he's a RM player... but no doubt... is the best in his position!

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Casillas is Real's most important player, he captains Spain, is worth at least 15 points for Real per season. He is no.1 no doubt.

beef-supreme

Its hard to name one good goal keeper because they don't control anything, usually shit just piles on top of them. A goal keeper could concede six goals and still would have played an amazing game.

However, one way of looking at goal keepers is not the fact that they make incredible saves, on the contrary, how easy they make the saves look.

While a lot of people are growing out of the Buffon phase, the reason why he lasts so long and still considered #1 by many is because of his sheer class in positioning. I do not see him making incredible saves often enough because he puts himself in positions where the ball would seem easy to catch. Another person in this category is VDS. Maybe its because of his height, but a lot of it is due to schooling and natural ability to stand in the proper position. Julio Cesar for instance, has developed that skill as well. His approach to crosses was erratic and often hilarious for rivals however, he has calmed down a lot since his arrival at Inter and improved dramatically. His anticipation to freekicks has improved quite a bit as well, making him a contender for the best keeper in the world. An upcoming keeper of this mold is Lloris. It will come with age and experience but he is calm and collected, has very good natural reflexes.

Casillas for example often more than not makes awkward saves when he does not need to. Valdes it the same way. Kahn made saves look harder than they should as well. Kameni is another example of young keepers who make saves look harder than they are. If he were to be better coached, his athletic abilities can take him to top three.

It is not about the number of saves or the wow factor, goal keepers also need to be able to calmly organize their defense and deflect a lot of the pressure off them and onto the defense, which is Casillas' biggest weakness a long with freekicks. His communication skills are poor in my opinion. I would say Valdes is a bit louder which is good, but both Buffon and Cesar are as loud and effective as they should be, they are leaders of the defense not the primary CB.

I still rank Casillas as number one for his natural skills are just undisputed and the amount of times he has kept a way below average Real Madrid still making it to the top 4 are remarkable. His consistency, and a never say die attitude is truly Madridismo however at times, he could have saved his goal a couple of goals if he was better at communicating.

This is a good, balanced analysis.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
Buffon, of course. He's the best in the world and has been for a very long time.

Although I suppose he briefly vacated the title last season when he was injured and Julio Cesar was on fire.

beef-supreme

After today Julio Cesar is no longer the best goalkeeper :p Nah, everyone can have an off-day, but he was shocking with Kalou's shot.

Home of Barca Fans