Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

• Buffon

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Victor Valdés

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Julio Cesar

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Casillas

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • Cech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van der Sar

• Lloris

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Adler

• Akinfeev

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Reina

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

beef-supreme

Seeing as we have a "best striker" poll, I thought why not have a best goalie one too. Especially because I cannot understand why some people are adamant that Buffon is the best GK and has been so for the past god knows how many years. There are many keepers out there who are better and less arrogant than Buffon.
The Hungary 3-1 against Italy in a friendly a few years ago exemplifies what I think of Buffon.
Also, if we were to look at something like soccermanager, Julio Cesar is the 3rd best goalie after Buffon and Casillas. Again debatable.
Well, here goes.

There are some keepers that I haven't been able to put up because of the limit of options, the ones I have in mind are:
Given, Frey, Joe Hart, the other mediocre English keepers, Neuer, Diego Lopez, Palop...
But I think it is quite rational to not have 'other' as an option because they really don't come into contention (or not yet, in the case of the younger ones).

Last edited:

Sallou

You said becasue of limits there were ones you couldn't put in. Fair enough. But Shay Given should have been ahead of many of these keepers. He's one of the best and most underrated in the world.

redout

Valdes last 18 months is definitely ahead of Iker.

VDS has been class but I would go for Julio Cesar.

beef-supreme

You said becasue of limits there were ones you couldn't put in. Fair enough. But Shay Given should have been ahead of many of these keepers. He's one of the best and most underrated in the world.

Given was the one i was debating whether to put on, but he has a few things against him.
a) Crap national team
b) Old
c) Never won anything in his life except the Intertoto Cup with Newcastle and that's just a laugh
d) Currently with City and hasn't won anything.

All the players i have put on either have won a lot or play for good club and national teams, and have potential to be even better.

redout

Given was the one i was debating whether to put on, but he has a few things against him.
a) Crap national team
b) Old
c) Never won anything in his life except the Intertoto Cup with Newcastle and that's just a laugh
d) Currently with City and hasn't won anything.

All the players i have put on either have won a lot or play for good club and national teams, and have potential to be even better.

You could argue Given is a brilliant keeper.

He has never had a good defence in front of him his whole career yet has done remarkable.

and as for crap national team they went through World cup qualifying undefeated and held the World Champions twice if I recall. The only other countries who went through World Cup qualifying undefeated were Germany, Italy, Holland and Spain. Not bad company to keep, eh ? Not to mention they beat France over the 90mins in the second leg of the play-off in Paris and were robbed of a place at the World cup largely in part because of Henry and bent officials. You really should think before you make such accusations.

EDIT: as for old you are talking crap. He is 33 which in Goalkeeper terms is actually around your prime. Many of the best keepers go on until near 40. Look at Oliver Khan and VDS for recent examples.

Last edited:

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Schmeichel was, and still is the #1 for me. There's nobody who'd come even close to how he played back in the 90's. Each save he pulled was simply astonishing and made your jaw drop plenty.

However, as we're indeed talking about the current top of the crop, I'd be really tempted of saying V.V. As somebody had already mentioned, he has been stellar for close than two years now and he's only getting better. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd surprise a lot of us during next few years.

Last edited:

Olsend

Gian Luigi Buffon for me. Only against France Buffon had to take ball back of the net in WC 06. Although he has weakness - headers, but his ball reading ability is pure talent. For me he is the best ever GK. (And his character is another superb thing about him)

Last edited:

beef-supreme

You could argue Given is a brilliant keeper.

He has never had a good defence in front of him his whole career yet has done remarkable.

and as for crap national team they went through World cup qualifying undefeated and held the World Champions twice if I recall. The only other countries who went through World Cup qualifying undefeated were Germany, Italy, Holland and Spain. Not bad company to keep, eh ? Not to mention they beat France over the 90mins in the second leg of the play-off in Paris and were robbed of a place at the World cup largely in part because of Henry and bent officials. You really should think before you make such accusations.

EDIT: as for old you are talking crap. He is 33 which in Goalkeeper terms is actually around your prime. Many of the best keepers go on until near 40. Look at Oliver Khan and VDS for recent examples.

Yes I know you could, and I would also. This is why I said that I was very conscious of not including him in the options list, because he is indeed excellent.
However, the points a, b and c that I listed would put him out of contention in the face of keepers such as Akinfeev and Adler.

Firstly: Has he really done remarkable? He got relegated, he failed to win a single trophy aside from the Intertoto Cup... No, he hasn't done remarkable. He has done well considering the defence he has had put in front of him, but you can't just say 'it's only Newcastle' because Given was at Newcastle when they were one of the biggest clubs. It is so so simplistic to blame everything on the defence. Just like people say Barca's defence is so great so VV is a crap goalkeeper. No - he is not, and Barca's defence isn't so great. Madrid's defence has often been crap (until this season, perhaps) and yet Casillas is one of the best, if not the best GK in the world.
Also, you don't play in a team with a bad defence because of random reasons, you play there because you haven't merited a move up to a better club. Why have Arsenal and Liverpool - to name a few, not replaced their bumbling goalkeepers with Given if he were so great?
Never mind that - at this point you have to compare him to the other players who I have put on the list but may or may not merit a place ahead of Given.
Akinfeev and Adler both play for clubs who are better than Newcastle, and are either currently participating in top European competition or if not this year then have consistently done so. They are the undisputed no.1 keepers at their respective clubs. More importantly, they have reached these prominent positions at the ages of 23 and 25, respectively, which is a full 8 years younger than Given. This is significant, and certainly tips the scale in their favour if we consider them to be of roughly equal ability.

Secondly: Ireland did not qualify for Euro 2008, nor did the qualify for the 2010 World Cup. They did not qualify for the 2006 World Cup, nor did they qualify for Euro 2004. They did not qualify for Euro 1996, nor did they qualify for Euro 2000.
In fact Shay Given has only ever participated in international finals competition in 2002 in Japan & Korea. So yes, saying that Ireland are a crap team is a slight exaggeration, but Shay Given's Ireland have indeed been crap, just as Hungary have been, in that they've failed to qualify. Ireland are bad because they failed to qualify for 6 out of 7 of the international finals, which is an 86% failure, which imo classifies as not world class. However, Akinfeev and Adler are at the head of the international footballing world as they are no.1s for two massive teams. Russia made the semis under Akinfeev during Euro 2008 and Given was at home watching him make world class saves to win Russia the tie against the Netherlands. Russia failed to qualify for the World Cup in 2010 just as Ireland did in the knockout phase, but if you look at the wave of talent and strength coming from the east in club competition, Russian qualification for the Euros in 2012 and the next WC is a safe bet. And then you have Adler whose case doesn't even need to be argued since he is with the Germans, who are always there, always good, always successful, and always piss me off.

Thirdly: Of course, I know given will probably go on to play for 4, maybe 5,6 more years. But I think anyone would say a 23 year old performing at the same level as a 33 year old is more deserving of note.

V

Valon

Iker.

I think in a few years it'll be between Akinfeev or Lloris and maybe Adler.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
1. Casillas

2. Julio Cesar

3. Buffon

Then there is a clutch of GK's that are all more or less the same level imo Lloris, Akinfeev, Cech, Van Der Sar, Reina.

Then the level below that with the likes of Valdes, Adler, Dida, Carrizo, Lopez.

But I would not swap Reina for any gk in the world because of what he does for us in the dressing room and in the training ground.
But Casillas's rival for best goalkeeper in the world is now probably Julio Cesar.

Home of Barca Fans