State of La Liga

Guardian

the standard is high, the league is top quality, but if things doesn't change and clubs don't start sharing the wealth equally, then the level could be drawn to a dualistic league with 2 arguably best teams in the world, three or four decent team and the REST. The rest is not a term for quality.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
At the end of the day would you seriously watch the Premier League or Serie A over La Liga ? That's the answer to your question.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I think it's a silly question to bring up this year. The Sevilla and Valencia sides themselves are pretty strong. But it just happens that you have one of the greatest Barca sides ever and then the 2nd Galactico era where Real have brought in a shit load of quality to their side. The league is always going to be dominated by those two but I think this year it's more obvious because how good the two sides are.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
At the end of the day would you seriously watch the Premier League or Serie A over La Liga ? That's the answer to your question.

I'd watch the premier league over most serie a matches. Only the big 3 serie a sides playing against each other ie Inter-Milan Inter-Juve Milan-Juve would I watch a serie a game.

Alas would I watch Deportivo, Malaga, Mallorca, Espanyol, Almeria, Racing, Sporting Gijon, Osasuna, Valladolid and Xerex? no I would not.

In the sense if those clubs were playing each other or any other club not called Barca or Real Madrid I would not particularly want to tune in and watch.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Matches between lower midtable sides are never usually up to much in any league, of course you get the off exception i.e. the Sunderland-Wolves game the other day, but not many neutrals would have tuned into that match before kick off, just as with Sporting-Zaragoza or whatever the equivalent may be in La Liga. Given the choice I'd watch the la liga game because the technical ability will inevitably be greater.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
There is no doubting that technically speaking la liga is better.

But I believe the premier league is more unpredicatable than la liga and as such I enjoy its unpredictability. Also the top 4 never have an easy time of it in 90% of its away fixtures. Who would have thought Burnley would beat manure or Wigan beating chelsea?

It is that unpredictability which I enjoy.

Fourteen

Monster Masch

But I believe the premier league is more unpredicatable than la liga and as such I enjoy its unpredictability. Also the top 4 never have an easy time of it in 90% of its away fixtures. Who would have thought Burnley would beat manure or Wigan beating chelsea?

I think all leagues have a level of unpredictability. Whilst Serie A is slowly dying, the Sampdoria win the other day against Inter took me personally by suprise and yet it wouldn't take others by the same surprise. Same goes for games such as our 6-2 win over Madrid. I wasn't surprised, but i'm sure many other people around the globe were.

You and I live in England for example, so when a result in England happens unexpectedly, we take notice of it, but are unlikely to feel the same way compared to a Spaniard or Italian when a shocking result happens in their respective leagues. It's all about perspective is what i'm trying to get at.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived

have you seen Chelsea lose that game? First half in particular?

ANY club would lose ANY game if you play like that. The unpredictability thus was not Wigan at all, it was the suckage of Chelsea.

Same thing as Getafe-Barcelona where we were pretty bad in the first half, result: Getafe hit the woodwork twice and could have been 2-0. Not because Getafe was playing superb but because the stronger team was not showing its strength.

If the EPL was that unpredictable, Manchester wouldn't have collected all that titles. Moreover, you pick out the Chelsea result while predictable thrashings of Burnley and Hull just took place as one would expect. Who would have thought Sporting could draw AT the Mestalla last week? No one, still Tenerife and Atletico took their fair amount of goals as one expected.

nebeer

Love is All
have you seen Chelsea lose that game? First half in particular?

ANY club would lose ANY game if you play like that. The unpredictability thus was not Wigan at all, it was the suckage of Chelsea.

Same thing as Getafe-Barcelona where we were pretty bad in the first half, result: Getafe hit the woodwork twice and could have been 2-0. Not because Getafe was playing superb but because the stronger team was not showing its strength.

If the EPL was that unpredictable, Manchester wouldn't have collected all that titles. Moreover, you pick out the Chelsea result while predictable thrashings of Burnley and Hull just took place as one would expect. Who would have thought Sporting could draw AT the Mestalla last week? No one, still Tenerife and Atletico took their fair amount of goals as one expected.

Decent post Gneg.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Fair point, but that's not what Ed means, Gnegy-pooh (you've replaced Snyde, by the way, with the addition of "pooh" to your name).

He's only talking from the angle of looking at the fixture and predicting the result. If you were to look at Burnley - Man Utd before hand, you'd have a Man Utd win written all over that and the same goes for Wigan - Chelsea (Or atleast a result far from the eventual 3-1).

If you watched a game between Accrington Stanley and Barcelona and saw that Accrington were by far the better side and came out of it as worthy winners, of course you wouldn't be surprised by the result bar the fact that Accrington Stanley have just beaten a team far bigger than themselves...

Guardian

It depends. I have the power to choose. If they show Barca or La Coruna I'll watch'em. The only teams worth watching in La Liga at the moment are Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla and maybe Valencia. Atletica and Villarreal are shit atm. And yeah I follow La Coruna because I like them. But basically the competition is limited in La Liga and that's my concern, La Liga was much stronger in the past, the games were more entertaining when you have strong Zaragoza, La Coruna, Betis, Real Sociedad and even Espanyol/

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Fair point, but that's not what Ed means, Gnegy-pooh (you've replaced Snyde, by the way, with the addition of "pooh" to your name).

He's only talking from the angle of looking at the fixture and predicting the result. If you were to look at Burnley - Man Utd before hand, you'd have a Man Utd win written all over that and the same goes for Wigan - Chelsea (Or atleast a result far from the eventual 3-1).

If you watched a game between Accrington Stanley and Barcelona and saw that Accrington were by far the better side and came out of it as worthy winners, of course you wouldn't be surprised by the result bar the fact that Accrington Stanley have just beaten a team far bigger than themselves...
I don't get what you mean, Jordan14 my maaaaaaaaan.

Look at Valencia-Sporting. That has a Valencia win written all over it beforehand. But it didn't turned out that way, just like that game for United and the other one for Chelsea. The other fact is that Chelsea won their other games this season, just like we did last year until we suddenly drew against Getafe at home. That had also Barcelona written all over it.

Btw Guardian: Depor played some good football yesterday, as well as Villarreal actually. Although the latter plays decent football until the point where they have to score, than it falls apart. I would put Depor alongside the good football sides.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
If anything the Valencia result was more of a surprise, given their form and they were at home. Chelsea were away to Wigan who are a dangerous side when they get going, and Burnley are newly promoted. Promoted teams are always an unknown and can get crazy results at home.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
I would any La Liga game not involving Xerez ( except when we play them ). I can't say the same for the other leagues I don't think I would go out of my way to watch 2 teams in the bottom half play against each other.

Home of Barca Fans