State of La Liga

R

ronsytler

Standard of La liga

With players like Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa argubably 6 of the top 10 players in the world is Spain the place to be, or is is just another 2- team Scottish league as some say.
I am hearing people say how in Italy and England any team can beat any team on any given day but this is not the case in Spain.

Does the fact that Real Madrid and Barcelona have won 21 of the past 25 trophies and the fact their budgets dwarf every other team in Spain diminish the standard of the league. Or is it the case that the undoubtedly technical quality across the board mean that the standard of la liga is still high, after all what makes football such a unique sport is what people can do with the ball at their feet as well as using the ball creatively.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I´d say the quality is still high. Valencia only lost Albiol, Atletico looks stronger on paper, Sevilla strong as ever. The gap on the pitch is smaller between Barca and Xerez than ManUtd and Hull. Not to mention La Liga football is much nicer than the Premiership.

Beast

The Observer
The technical ability help smaller teams and their scouting or rather what they look for in a youngster .
yes the BUDGET of Real & Barca is big but you have good technical players in smaller teams like Rossi ,Corlunga(recreativo ) , Renato ,Forlan,Emana,Pedro Leone,De La Pena..etc all bought for small amounts of money and offer good football week in week out.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
I don't kno if you have noticed but the ranking in La Liga after this match day is the same as in England:

The two stongest team 3 points before the others. Italy? Sampdoria is the surprise but Juventus and Inter on top as well. Sure, any team can beat anyone else on their day. United lost to Burnley because Burnley played well but don't forget: United played shit. The same Burnley lost 5-0 (FIVE ZERO) to Liverpool.

Everything is just the same in my opinion bar one difference: Spain loves attacking and technical football. The other two are more of a defensive oriented league. So in Spain you wil get entertainment and goals whilst in the other leagues it will be more 1-0 or 0-1. It's not that teams are weaker. Check Getafes european games two years ago, Racing last season, ..... Everyone looks at Spain through an English point of view.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Spot on Gneg.
Spanish football and english football are similar too eachother, except that here it's more technique and there it's more physique(for example, Iniesta - Lampard, Xavi - Gerrard) The defenders there might be better, but in Spain football is more entertaining. I mean ffs, Getafe just beat Valencia 3-1.

Last edited:

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
La Liga is the best league in the world nobody can deny it. The attacking football is brilliant, the technique is great. The English league is basically a big mans game. If you can't battle physically then you won't reach your best ( except Messi and Xavi who can beat anyone ).

Everything is just the same So in Spain you wil get entertainment and goals whilst in the other leagues it will be more 1-0 or 0-1. It's not that teams are weaker. Check Getafes european games two years ago, Racing last season, ..... Everyone looks at Spain through an English point of view.

Normaly I would agree, but something happend to the EPL this year, just look att the scorlines I think they (the EPL) have a higher goal/game ratio than La liga so far this year.

Anyway comparing leauges is like comparing top shelf wines, it all comes down to taste and tradition IMO

beef-supreme

I think the standard of La Liga is high, there's basically Xerez who are very very weak, but aside from them, the other teams are only held back because of clichés - Atlético the ever-underachievers, Villarreal the small-town club, Athletic the conservatives who'd rather not embrace success etc. etc. and in a weird way this prevents La Liga from being even. And of course there's the huge budget differences - in the end I prefer watching La Liga any day but while on paper La Liga looks stronger, there are always these clichés that bring it down.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Normaly I would agree, but something happend to the EPL this year, just look att the scorlines I think they (the EPL) have a higher goal/game ratio than La liga so far this year.
So we should start campaining things like: "look at the scorelines there, what a crappy defense in england. Messi would score 50 in one season."

So we should start campaining things like: "look at the scorelines there, what a crappy defense in england. Messi would score 50 in one season."
Sounds constructive enough, let´s do that.

Or perhaps the British are realising that sometimes scoring goals is a tad bit more fun than cracking skulls, beats me really.

Last edited:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Sounds constructive enough, let´s do that.

Or perhaps the British are realising that sometimes scoring goals is a tad bit more fun than cracking skulls, beats me really.
Maybe :lol:

Sunderland-Wolves: seven goals. you got to be kidding me.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
the difference between the teams in england is huge due to the overpricing of players that are subject to interest by english clubs.

hull need to spend 9 million to get a player that is available to spanish teams for 1.5-2 million

no way in hell does antonio valencia cost 25 m

nebeer

Love is All
Both in La Liga and Premier League - we have seen 2 winners in last 5 seasons. In last 5 seasons, Barca have won the league 3 times and Real twice. On the other hand, Man U have won the title 3 times and Chelsea twice in the last 5 seasons. So the trophy has seen only 2 teams in last 5 seasons in both the leagues. Even more interestingly, Valencia and Arsenal have both won their respective leagues 2 seasons out of 3, before this 5 season phase. Out of last 11 seasons in English league, Man U have won 7 times. Only 4 times it went to somewhere other than Old Trafford.

English league is a good league. Though to be honest I enjoy watching La Liga more, because of the way it is played. It comes down to different styles of football that we can see in these 2 leagues. La Liga is very artistic. It is true that EPL has strong teams in Liverpool and Arsenal besides MU and Chelsea (who have been winning their league in recent years). Man City have also arrived on the big scene. Personally, I believe that La Liga can even get a lot better when the likes of Valencia, A Madrid, Sevilla and Villareal get bigger budgets to fuel the right transfers for them. For the betterment of football itself, these La Liga teams deserve more money at their disposal. My best wishes to the EPL as well.

Home of Barca Fans