State of La Liga

R

ronsytler

No you actually don't have a similar marketing power at all... you are far behind us..
when we didn't win a thing and crashed out early in the CL we were still much far in terms of earning then you ..

you were able to decrease the gap with your CL win of course .. and with dinho then Messi as brand names.. but make no mistake if one of them was in Real .. we would make at least 8 times more then you did ..and even when we didn't bother going on Tour to Asia & the US

you need some good marketing department in Barca.. having an Economical genius doesn't mean he is a brilliant mind in action.. academical studies is not the same as applying it
Point taken.

I live in Asia, and obvious the Epl clubs are the most popular particularly Man U. Real Madrid and Barcelona pretty even in terms of following, in fact there is a lot of talk about Barca amongst followers of the game because of Messi and before that Ronaldinho. Obviously the Galacticos had made Madrid popular here.

I think both Real Madrid and Barcelona have done well (especially compared to Italian clubs) at promoting themselves given the fact the league they play in is not well marketed as a product.

La liga also Serie A IMO needs leadership in terms of marketing which will benefit all teams.
I think the reason why some epl games start at 3 pm UK time is because they get broadcasted prime time (6 -8pm) into places like Malaysia and Hong Kong (there was a huge bidding war for the hk epl rights 2 years ago).

Beast

The Observer
We've closed the gap massively in recent years though, before 2003 we were nothing in terms of marketing and revenues, now we're firmly amongst the top 3 of world football and with further work we'll close the gap yet more.

with less spending compared to Real , more big trophies and you are still behind... that's what i'm talking about.. if Real had your trophies and your stars our Revenue would easily double up to 800 Million with no real effort

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
with less spending compared to Real , more big trophies and you are still behind... that's what i'm talking about.. if Real had your trophies and your stars our Revenue would easily double up to 800 Million with no real effort

We were well behind to begin with thanks to Gaspart and Nuñez missing the boat in the 90s when most clubs started marketing themselves big time. It will probably take us another 10 years to be on your level if we ever get there, and in all honesty we really don't need to as recent successes have shown. The last five years have given us 2 CLs to your 0 and 3 ligas to 2 and mostly as a result of combining very effectively the cantera with the increased financial muscle that Laporta's changes have brought about. I've highlighted the last part of your quotation because it's quite obviously a pie in the sky statement with no foundation. The likelihood is that you'll be lucky to see a double digits (%) increase in revenue over the next 2 to 3 seasons because of the economic climate and the fact that you're locked into the most valuable contracts for several more years.

BTW Ronstyler, EPL games start at 3pm because that's when football matches in England have ALWAYS been played. It's the earlier, later and Sunday games which are in televised slots due to TV company demands and it really annoys fans of PL clubs.

Last edited:

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
beast explain to me where the amounts of money came from to buy those superstars and to pay the wage bill for next 5 years? (valid real question not a smartass)

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
That question has been asked, answered, argued and amplified (?) several times through several threads. You post everywhere but seem to read very little.

diegomessi

okay sorry........... i think el classico will be epic this season.. all the best players in the world going together.. it will be more like a final then a league game

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
I wonder if La Liga will crush Europe like a piece of paper, not just in the Champions League with us and Real, plus Atleti and Sevilla but in the Europa League with Villareal and Valencia. If they can then there will be no more argument.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
okay sorry........... i think el classico will be epic this season.. all the best players in the world going together.. it will be more like a final then a league game

To be quite honest it doesn't matter one bit which stars are playing in the clásico, it's about the clubs and the history and the politics. Whenever a clásico is played it's like a cup final, relegation decider, title match all rolled into one which is why the atmosphere surrounding them is so tense.

Beast

The Observer
tense and nothing comes to close it...

the difference this year is the international viewing will be double

diegomessi

To be quite honest it doesn't matter one bit which stars are playing in the clásico, it's about the clubs and the history and the politics. Whenever a clásico is played it's like a cup final, relegation decider, title match all rolled into one which is why the atmosphere surrounding them is so tense.

so cr7 and kaka and if ibra villa and ribery are playing that wont have any effect on the popularity and coverage of the classico?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Who cares about the popularity and the coverage? The stadium will still be full and the game will still mean just as much to the fans whether galacticos or canteranos are playing.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
I wonder if La Liga will crush Europe like a piece of paper, not just in the Champions League with us and Real, plus Atleti and Sevilla but in the Europa League with Villareal and Valencia. If they can then there will be no more argument.

It's gonna be hard, Madrid as a squad are now probably at a stage where they are signing big players because they can lecture to players like Ramos etc what it means to get past the first knockout round of the CL, and also because no matter how good Liga teams will play the EPL top four will all be far more tactically prepared and organised and better at the back. This is the sole reason for their recent dominance. Effectiveness; how else did Chelsea, a team with slow CB's and inferior footballers but great athlete's probably deserve to progress against us (no matter how pathetic they were in the first leg).

The Liga vs EPL argument can go on and on and the EPL is probably stronger but fuck me there were about 5 epic games last season and the rest were SHIIIIIIIITE. Go through and look at the results week by week in Spain, obscene entertainment week in week out.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End

IF that happens I will have a change of heart. But will you if AGAIN the epl have 3 semi finalists and villa and everton take the europa seriously?

Lemmi

The Reckoner
They dont have the squads to take it seriously, it's a shame because they are good enough to win it. The thursday games are the nail in the coffin for that tournament really, until they are earlier in the week I can't see how managers (especially in England) are gonna prioritise differently.

Home of Barca Fans