14 - Javier Mascherano

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Masche has a knack for those. His tackle against Robben in the WC semis was even better than the one on Bendtner.

This guy is a damn hero tbh. Our game is beautiful because of the midfielders and forwards but without guys like Puyol or Masche you rarely win anything. They would literally give their life for their badge and the most important thing there is that those players accept the fact there have to be players who do the dirty work for the Messis, Xavis and Neymars of the world.

A German commentator once said that a football team needs to work like this: "They are about 3 people who can play the piano, the other 8 have to carry it into the house."
But all 8 need to realize that is their job to carry that damn thing and in the end everybody will talk about the pianists.

Truthist

Still remember that game and it was probably also the last time we experimented with Busquets as a central defender.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Great interview. Everyone should read it.

Seems like it was pieced together through different sources because I caught a bit more of the interview in another article:

'El Jefecito' (the little boss) lays down a few home truths about the team who are favourites to become the first to win the tournament in successive seasons.

"Those on the inside don't have to adapt to those coming from the outside. No, no, no," he says. "It's those arriving to the club from the outside who have to adapt to those already here. The players who have come up through the system are the ones who pass on the culture of the club."

"Great players are very good technically but they also have a huge amount of character, because without it you will never get to see that great technique because it vanishes under pressure. I have had so many team-mates who have been technically better than me. But they have lacked that desire and mental strength. This team has that."

None of which means Mascherano does not marvel at Messi along with the rest of us.

"Football is not as easy as it looks from the television gantry," he says, before adding: "but for Messi it is".

"He is someone you never stop being surprised by. Iniesta is the same. There is always a piece of skill during a match or a training session. . . I have seen Iniesta dribble on the edge of our area so many times and you say to yourself: 'how has he done that?' If he loses the ball then they score. But he doesn't lose it."

MasChe

Oh I'm fairly new on the forum, so I am not sure if I'm his biggest fan around here, but I definitely love our jefecito.

MasChe

had a good game while on CB position. I didn't like his positioning at times when he switched to DM, sure he had stolen few balls around the center and broke the play early, but with Vermaelen and Mathieu behind, I feel it's best if he is close to them if some fuckups happen.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda sad noone came here to praise our best man vs. Arsenal :(

I guess neither MasChe nor Annie, I win Mascherano biggest fan award :)

Home of Barca Fans