Xavi vs Iniesta

Xavi or Iniesta, who was better?

• Total voters

companyofcules

This autistic cretin really called me clueless and then made a post consisting of the dumbest takes ever seen. :lol:

Where do I start?!

2m pass and holding the ball? It's called controlling/running the game consistently at the highest level. Xavi was the heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain's system.

Iniesta in the same bracket as Messi and Maradona? Hahahahaha. Even Iniesta's mum wouldn't say that! You could easily make a case that Modric is better than Iniesta and this retard is comparing him to Messi and Maradona! Do me a favour! :lol:

Funny how Iniesta was so talented yet Xavi had way better numbers and end product from a much deeper position and more defensive role. Iniesta's career statistics are about as laughable as his hairline. :lol:

David Silva played in the best league in the world from top to bottom, not in a top heavy, two and a half team league. That "peasant league" gets more eyeballs, fanfare and organic buzz for a midtable clash than some of Liga's most prestigious games.

Rakitic and Xavi are very different players but you need to have more than the IQ of a celery to get that.

The point about Pedri is just incoherent, incomprehensible tripe.

Go watch Women's Football ya braindead fag. Men's Football isn't for you. :lol:
Franco Madrid fan probably. Clueless and offensive

Temptation

Sanitized censored version:

This **** really called me clueless and then made a post consisting of the dumbest takes ever seen. :lol:

Where do I start?!

2m pass and holding the ball? It's called controlling/running the game consistently at the highest level. Xavi was the heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain's system.

Iniesta in the same bracket as Messi and Maradona? Hahahahaha. Even Iniesta's mum wouldn't say that! You could easily make a case that Modric is better than Iniesta and this retard is comparing him to Messi and Maradona! Do me a favour! :lol:

Funny how Iniesta was so talented yet Xavi had way better numbers and end product from a much deeper position and more defensive role. Iniesta's career statistics are about as laughable as his hairline. :lol:

David Silva played in the best league in the world from top to bottom, not in a top heavy, two and a half team league. That "peasant league" gets more eyeballs, fanfare and organic buzz for a midtable clash than some of Liga's most prestigious games.

Rakitic and Xavi are very different players but you need to have more than the IQ of a celery to get that.

Go watch Women's Football. Men's Football isn't for you. :lol:

companyofcules

Iniesta didn't have two things that stopped him from being top 3 all time. Acceleration and strength, both are the results of weak thighs muscles. Both Messi and Maradona solved many issues with pure force. On the talent side Iniesta had it all. Played every offensive role except striker.
His stats are irrelevant since it was not his role to be a stat merchant, but to link up play, break the lines, create chaos and drag attention on him, this benefited Alves and Messi allot and also Xavi since the focus was always on Iniesta too not only Messi.
When Xavi and Busquets failed at controlling the game, again the solution was dropping Iniesta. Far from being not an expert at controlling games he was the best hence he was in demand at that task before Xavi in crucial games as in the 2006 final.

But his talent will be wasted on just that so he played way more advanced. Why this kids think somehow Iniesta could not play. holding mid while constantly doing that in the vicity of the penalty box is beyond me.

Tiki-taka is very demanding for the 8-10 inside-forward hence many failures at Barcelona.
Nobody in the history of Barcelona played that well except Messi, R9 and prime Busquets in their roles. Iniesta had an imediat impact at Barcelona the 2006 UCL is his work, Valdes, Larsson, the 2009 one Iniesta again. Iniesta made Barcelona clutch and dinamic a total revamp of what tiki-taka looked before him. I will not comment again because it's not my hobby to contradict Franco Madrid kids and the fans of other teams on a Barcelona forum. Those who attack Pep, Messi and Iniesta are not Barcelona fans or don't have the games in their bag.

Last edited:

Nazario1985

For me there is a huge difference between Iniesta and Xavi, in favor of Iniesta of course.

The only negative about Iniesta was his longevity.

But Xavi didn't peek early, until that Magnificent squad start forming including a young Iniesta.

But Talent Wise Iniesta>>>Xavi.

iniestaGOAT

Sanitized censored version:

This **** really called me clueless and then made a post consisting of the dumbest takes ever seen. :lol:

Where do I start?!

Go watch Women's Football. Men's Football isn't for you. :lol:

No ball knowledge at all.
Dis this jabroni just say David Silva was better than Iniesta?

Total-Football

Modric xavi pirlo I put them in the same bracket as 3rd after Iniesta and Zidane. The three of them are world class and won a lot. Modric slightly edges it because of his ludicrous longetivity.

Then the next bracket I put : schooles Gerrard lampard Viera makelele seedorf

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Started watching ball in 1994. Iniesta is the best mid I have seen as of yet.

1 iniesta
2 zidane
3 modric
4 Xavi
5 Pirlo
6 KdB
7 Rijkaard
8 Seedorf
9 Viera
10 Scholes
11 Xabi Alonso
12 Fabregas
13 Kroos
14 Ozil
15 Laudrup
16 Matthaus
17 Giggs

and so on...
But if you're putting DM's like Makelele and Viera in the mix, than my nr 2 would be Busi. Prime Busi and Iniesta - that was something I will never experience in my life again.

Last edited:

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Modric could have the longevity to play to 85 years and he would still not come close to touching the great Xavi. When they were on the same pitch together, one was on another stratosphere to the other and Modric was only allowed to pop his head out of the swimming pool when Xavi retired and stopped drowning him.

Zidane massively overrated as well, booed by his own fans regularly. Xavier is miles clear of both. Go back and watch the Classicos of 10 years ago. 22 world class players on the pitch. And then watch in awe how they all played to Xavi's tune. The fucking GOAT.

Messigician

You must be 20 and something at most.
Yep 2m passes and holding the ball vs spliting lines in half playing 4 positions.
You don't get it, Iniesta can do whatever Xavi did, but Xavi could only dream to play Inside forward cuz he was average as talent. Iniesta was in the realm of Messi and Maradona.
Silva was good but playing in the peasant league made him look better for people that consider those rudimentary peasants a good league. Xavi was replaced by Rakitic Iniesta by no one till this day.
Pedri is a holding midfielder you are trowing hype at me like Xavi. That's why he is broken because Xavi in his average brain thinks that guy or Gavi are Iniesta.
Spain were finished once xavi retired

He was the heart of Spain not iniesta

companyofcules

Spain were finished once xavi retired

He was the heart of Spain not iniesta

Some explanations needed
I don't think Xavi was an average player, but an average talent when compared to geniuses.

CR7 was also an average talent but huge player.
Lewandowski also, started as a defender, Haland and the list can go on.

I also think he was not average as a player in terms of intelligence but as a manager his brain seems to have issues on assessing player profiles or how to get the team of caracters motivated, he is going into a corner where he seems irrational ( regularly yelling, protesting being simply unhappy).

That might work with La Masia and probably that's why only the kids play well at the start since he is a huge La Masia model, but being a total nerve-wracking machine with big caracters and millionaires is going to end up Benitez or Lopetegui style.

So I am not really trying to take anything from Xavi, and my beef with him started purely as a manager when he started thinking Koeman was some idiot while having no money at all and he will show us better.

I don't like arrogant people in general but hitting people in need is a huge no for me especially if those people made Barcelona recover years of Spanish discrimination.

Is like Cruyff would have been humiliated by Guardiola after beating United 2 times for that huge humiliation against Milan( 8-2 Bayern is a dream).

Xavi failed too in the end and the trasfers he made are more Barto style.
As for Xavi as midfielder in the realm.of holding mids he was the best ever, but we should remember that he became a holding mid not because that was the toughest job on the field and we should give credit to more offensive players.
Dribling in front of the box is not the same as dribbling near your box or in the middle, also passing is different.
As Iniesta got old we got no ability to hold possesion neard the box and the game started to be more boring and the attacking more difficult.

Rakitic who is a good player was absolutely a joke when trying to emulate Iniesta, that happened to Coutinho and everyone who tried after him.

Bobo32

They were extremely similar in some ways, but complete opposites in others. The similarities is in the smooth technique and in the spatial and temporal awareness.
Perhaps you can make the point that a player able to play in this "controlled" way while at the same time regularly be decisive with crazy dribbles and creative assists etc (like Iniesta) is more unique than someone who barely controls the game by keeping the ball at all times and play the correct, safe pass 999/1000 times (like Xavi). But I feel, as someone already pointed out, that you could replace Iniesta with Silva without noticing much difference, but if Xavi was to be replaced (by whom?) the entire team would almost fall apart.
I felt Xavi went on the field just to prove that the easy solution is enough, that you do not need to look for the decisive action all the time (like Magnus Carlsen said about Bobby Fisher - he proved that 'easy' chess is enough). He was an extremist, and influenced not only his team but the entire footballing world as soon as he got the chance to play his way to the fullest. Of course he was extremely gifted, but as I have written a lot of times here, it was only after the year he turned 28 anyone ever thought about him entering into some GOAT discussion. Iniesta was probably more gifted, but less ideological and less unique, more of an artist kind of player the likes we've seen a lot of. Xavi was lucky to finally get permission to play his type of way fully, Iniesta was lucky to be in the same team as Xavi all the time.

Home of Barca Fans