Xavi vs Iniesta

Xavi or Iniesta, who was better?

• Total voters

Temptation

2 of Barca and Spain's biggest legends.....

The better Footballer according to Barca Forum..... And why?

This is strictly as a Footballer. Don't bother with your takes about Xavi as a manager!

KingLeo10

Xavi is the best central midfielder ever.

Nobody has ever played midfield better than he did in 08/09.

Can't say the same about Iniesta when it comes to AMs (ZZ notably above and a few others on similar level).

Temptation

Xavi is the best central midfielder ever.

Nobody has ever played midfield better than he did in 08/09.
Still rate the guy in your profile higher.

Think he was a bit more special and well rounded individually.

Unless you consider Zizou a number 10? I think he's more of an attacking 8 personally. Proper Number 10 is a bit more advanced imo.

Windhook

Feels unfair comparing a CM against AMF playing at the same club. Iniesta was a wizard of the ball and Xavi was the computer of passing. Honestly I don't want to vote on this.

Iniesta Ultra

Messi and Iniesta were the pinnacle of the spectacular and DNA.

Xavi was slightly more precise but Iniesta's effortless dribbles and passes to beat defenders, ultimate champagne style and provided balls would match or even surpass Messi on occasion.

Messi the most talented artist, Iniesta the most inspirational artist. Xavi's perfectionism prevented him from reaching Messi's or Iniesta's artistic level.

Now Barca have artless retards, IT nerds and retirees Xavi wants running like wild boar xenobots. Pearls to swine. Beyond any sanity yet true.

Renaissance to dark ages less than a decade.

Last edited:

Daisymorr

Xavi was ridiculously consistent and always controlled the big games for Barca and Spain.
For that I personally preferred Xavi but I would concede that Iniesta had more strings to his bow.
He could dribble players, play key passes, play multiple position & score goals.
I would say Iniesta was marginally the better player overall but personally I preferred Xavi for how his simplicity of game contributed to dominating big games for Spain and Barca.

Both are Legends.
Iniesta was better - just had a bit more to his game.
Although Xavi's control of matches cannot be undervalued.

Temptation

Xavi was ridiculously consistent and always controlled the big games for Barca and Spain.
For that I personally preferred Xavi but I would concede that Iniesta had more strings to his bow.
He could dribble players, play key passes, play multiple position & score goals.
I would say Iniesta was marginally the better player overall but personally I preferred Xavi for how his simplicity of game contributed to dominating big games for Spain and Barca.

Both are Legends.
Iniesta was better - just had a bit more to his game.
Although Xavi's control of matches cannot be undervalued.
What? Xavi had more goals, better final ball and better end product than Iniesta despite playing significantly deeper.

Iniesta's end product is pretty poor for his position.

serghei

Xavi's profile was incredibly rare and unmatched in CM.

Counts against his teammates that as soon as he declined and disappeared from Spain NT, the team irremediably declined with him. Even though many of Spain's younger top class players were still around, including Iniesta, Busi, Sergio Ramos, Pique, Carvajal, David Silva. All big talents, most legends themselves, but neither could fill in the gap of losing Xavi. Other Spanish creative midfielders edged towards a no10 or a no8. Neither was the full package in one like Xavi.

Iniesta was pure class and style though, with big attacking moments in clutch situations, even though he was not a big scorer usually. Similar to a Zidane, or even Modric and Pirlo.

But if you could choose one player... that is Xavi in midfield. More influential overall from first minute to minute 95. Defense benefits hugely from it too, not just the attack.

Last edited:

serghei

What? Xavi had more goals, better final ball and better end product than Iniesta despite playing significantly deeper.

Iniesta's end product is pretty poor for his position.

I also think Xavi had superior passing ability to Iniesta even in more advanced positions. His final ball was beter, and his assists numbers before Pep made Messi a false 9 were astonishing. Higher than Iniesta's I think.

Iniesta was not a volume passer, nor a volume scorer. He is very close to someone like Modric, pofile-wise. Not as influential overall, but clutch and genius in moments that decide games at the most elite level.

serghei

Yeah, that's the magic of Iniesta. The elusive dribbling ability coupled with a high football-IQ.

For example, Xavi would not and probably could not do that serial dribbling sequence. He'd evade pressure just like Iniesta, and once that cleared, he'd feed the ball to a more advanced player and keep a deeper position. He would not risk a solo action and take 2-3 more players himself in a clear 1 vs 1 duel.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah true, both are different types of midfield players, a Xavi would be extremely helpful now as we lack control in nearly every game. Gundo is good but he is no prime Xavi :jack:

serghei

Yeah, different types, but I do think an AM is easier to replace than a complete CM like Xavi. In terms of function at least, if not elegance, flair, and aesthetics.

Take someone like Kevin De Bruyne. Far more likely to play as some type of Iniesta variant, than Xavi.

Rodri - Xavi - De Bruyne for example.

Quite scary.

Home of Barca Fans