Who are your football icons?

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Wish I was able to have seen Maradona and Laudrup play week in week out. Firsy footballng memories are from 94/95 and a little bit earlier which was the time they both kinda came to an end.

Beast

The Observer
I have to say i was blessed to see a great generation of footballers without the "exclusive " broadcast rights shit we have these days
Zico,Platini,Scotrates,Maradona,Van Basten,Gullet , Rumminege , Baggio,Laudrup,Barnes,Ian Rush..etc

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Zico is a legend, easily the player from Brazil I like the most in their history. Lucky bastard Gio. :lol:

Beast

The Observer
Zico is a legend, easily the player from Brazil I like the most in their history. Lucky bastard Gio. :lol:

to be honest i haven't see plenty of Zico , apart from the WC's and International games he didn't stay long in Udinese neither did many of his generation (Scorates,Junior..etc ) they left back to Brazil

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I have to say i was blessed to see a great generation of footballers without the "exclusive " broadcast rights shit we have these days
Zico,Platini,Scotrates,Maradona,Van Basten,Gullet , Rumminege , Baggio,Laudrup,Barnes,Ian Rush..etc

Same as you Gio. It was a privilege to see them perform.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Marco Materrazi

Why?

It was interesting Gio you say the 82 and 86 plus the 84 tournaments really influenced you.

I was born in 1981 6 years after you. So for me I was heavily influenced by the 1986 and 1990 world cups. Each are like a bookend in my chilhood football years. 86 was the year I was fully aware of the full complexities of football and 1990 was about the time I truly understood the game.

Thus no surprises then that John Barnes and El Diego are my favourite players of all time.

Beast

The Observer
Why?

It was interesting Gio you say the 82 and 86 plus the 84 tournaments really influenced you.

I was born in 1981 6 years after you. So for me I was heavily influenced by the 1986 and 1990 world cups. Each are like a bookend in my chilhood football years. 86 was the year I was fully aware of the full complexities of football and 1990 was about the time I truly understood the game.

Thus no surprises then that John Barnes and El Diego are my favourite players of all time.

86 you would be 5 years old.. u hardly understand what they were doing IMO
that's why i excluded stuff like the 1980 Euro, @ 8-10 onwards u start to really get influenced by football icons and probably have a couple of daydreams being them on the pitch and taking your team to glory

X.A.U

The Special One

X2

Footballing icon? Someone we still fascinated by years after he performed. Only few can claim this and of course on top is Maradona.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
Roy Keane-what a man,great player and one of the greatest captains of all time!could control the tempo and break up the attacks like nobody else!chipped in with a few goals too and nobody fucked with him,He's also Irish witch by right makes him the greatest player ever ;)

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Keane > Vieira

I know who I'd rather face as opposition and it isn't Roy Keane. A man you'd rather be in your camp than against.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
True,he was a genius,it speaks volumes that we still haven't replaced him after all this time and to try and replace him we signed two players in Carrick and Hargreaves!He is one in a million TBH closest player I've seen to him would be Essien and even Essien doesn't have a patch on Keane IMHO and i rate Essien very very highly

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Keane > Vieira

I know who I'd rather face as opposition and it isn't Roy Keane. A man you'd rather be in your camp than against.

and if a scouser can say that, you know it's must be all kinds of true!

for me he wasn't an icon of my childhood, as when I was 12/13 I far more appreciated the flair of giggs and cantona (I think I liked pep because he was just ridiculously cool-looking and I've always loved the blaugrana kit). he mesmerised me in '99 in turin but I was 15 then and that's too old for someone to be an icon of your childhood IMO. although he's still provided the greatest moment in football history (vs. vieira in the highbury tunnel, man, just so badass).

john barnes was the first big player I admired coz my cousin was a crazy fan of his. it's a wonder I never became a liverpool fan, lol.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
One of my earliest memories was WC 1986 in West Germany. I was six but already into football. Playing it in the school ground, started training with my local club... Needles to say, Maradona was the hero of that WC and easily the first football icon for me.

Home of Barca Fans