Thiago Alcantara

M

MessiCam

We need a Kante more than Thiago. Particularly with Messi dropping deeper in next years. Legs over flair is what's needed here.

Messi is never going to play in CM as some are advocating. He can’t defend.

ASordidGod

We need a Kante more than Thiago. Particularly with Messi dropping deeper in next years. Legs over flair is what's needed here.

Could not disagree more, from principle as much as anything. (For without our footballing identity, a commitment to a specific ideology, what are we? Certainly not the club I fell in love with.) Though I guess it depends to an extent on what formation we play. If we persist with 442, and I pray to god we don't, then to replace Rakitic with Kante would make sense. Though we'd become even uglier and less like 'Barcelona' than we are already. In any case, Kante's not for sale and there's no-one I can think of with equivalent attributes of a similar standard. If we go back to 433 however, which is what we SHOULD be doing, then Thiago is exactly what we need. He would give us the control and impetus from deep we're sorely missing. He's a huge upgrade on Rakitic and we should be all over him.

Sorin

So, is Kante available? How much is he gonna cost? If not, who is similar to Kante and has the necessary level and qualities to start for Barca?

Easier said than done tbh.

khaled_a_d

We just bought back Deulofeu last year, what is this goofy motherfucker talking about?

Gerard was sold with buyback option, how is that even comparable?

He can’t defend.

I think that is his point.

Could not disagree more, from principle as much as anything. (For without our footballing identity, a commitment to a specific ideology, what are we? Certainly not the club I fell in love with.) Though I guess it depends to an extent on what formation we play. If we persist with 442, and I pray to god we don't, then to replace Rakitic with Kante would make sense. Though we'd become even uglier and less like 'Barcelona' than we are already. In any case, Kante's not for sale and there's no-one I can think of with equivalent attributes of a similar standard. If we go back to 433 however, which is what we SHOULD be doing, then Thiago is exactly what we need. He would give us the control and impetus from deep we're sorely missing. He's a huge upgrade on Rakitic and we should be all over him.

You know we played with Edmilson and Motta as our DM in 433 before? we also used Davis there. Playing with a player like Kante doesn't take our identity.
Our team right now lack lungs in it, in all honesty Kante in 433 would push Busquets to CM and relie him from his defensive duties which he has struggled a lot this year.
Though Kante isn't available anyway

Andrew M

Imagine if Man U told Pogba to fuck off because he had left the club.

We just bought back Deulofeu last year, what is this goofy motherfucker talking about?

This is incredibly frustrating, get Rafa Benitez's assistant out of here!

They should have in hindsight!

BBZ8800

We played 442 with some thugs in midfield in early 2000s.
And 433 under Rijkaard with thugs like Edmilson, Van Bommel, Motta in midfield.

No offense, have you fell in love with Barca during Pep?
Because he turned a page in an extreme light snd technical direction and people nowadays often confuse Pep's way with Barca's way.

Saladin

Because he turned a page in an extreme light snd technical direction and people nowadays often confuse Pep's way with Barca's way.

And how did the Thugs Era turn out? How succesful was our spells with the likes of Mark Van Bommel, Thiago Motta and Edmilson? These strawman arguments left and right are hilarious; to even put Kanté, who is fairly good technically, in the same bracket as Mark fucking van Bommel is hilariously, unforgivingly stupid.

jamrock

Peps way is cryuffs way which is the barca way, so I don't know what you talking about.

Rijkaard played with physical midfielders at times but his football always flowed & was barca football

Anything else is not barca football which is why we were less successful during those times.

Sorin

Bringing up early 2000 as an argument in favor of tall workhorses is quite something. :lol:

That was our worst fecking period in recent memory. If that's what we aspire to be then by all means, bring in all the Bogardes of the world.

BBZ8800

And how did the Thugs Era turn out? How succesful was our spells with the likes of Mark Van Bommel, Thiago Motta and Edmilson? These strawman arguments left and right are hilarious; to even put Kanté, who is fairly good technically, in the same bracket as Mark fucking van Bommel is hilariously, unforgivingly stupid.

Are you trolling, I seriously hope you are, lol.
Van Bommel, Edmilson and Motta won the same number of CLs as Cruijff in his 8 years here.

So, Cruijff's style was equally as successful as a style with Motta and Van Bommel.

Not to mention that Van Bommel, Edmilson and Motta brought a first CL title after 14 years of waiting, or the 2nd one in our history.

Regarding our "beautiful" style under Pep, the question will always remain: how many CL titles we would have won without Messi?
Based on Pep's results without Messi, probably 0, lol.

So, ask yourself, is Cruijff's style alone or Pep's style alone that much superior to other eras of Barca?

If Messi played in early 2000s, then even a team with Rochemback and Cocu as midfielders would won some CL titles with Rivaldo and Messi in attack.

Peps way is cryuffs way which is the barca way, so I don't know what you talking about.

Rijkaard played with physical midfielders at times but his football always flowed & was barca football

Anything else is not barca football which is why we were less successful during those times.

I don't get it, now.
Is ONLY Pep's way a true follower of Cruijff's way?
Are Van Gaal, Rijkaard or coaches from early 2000s also Cruijff's followers or they were from the another planet?

Further, since Van Gaal and Rijkaard were Dutch, their football is quite similar to a football of Cruijff, Netherlands, Ajax and Barcelona.
Now, an interesting question:
If Rijkaard is a follower of Cruijff/Dutch/Ajax but if he used Edmilson, Van Bommel and Motta, what now?
= is that Barca's style or it isn't Barca's style.
So, he used Cruijff's tactics, but executed it with thugs. Is that allowed?

If Van Gaal is a follower of Cruijff/total football, but he used taller players, crosses or thugs in midfield, what then?
Is that Barca's style or not?

So, I see, now we'll have a new urban myth here:
1. Pep's way is a true Barca's way
2. and Cruijff's way is a true Barca's way
3. other coaches were not coaches playing "Barca's way", right?

Anyway, let's have some fun, this is Barca from Van Gaal's era, Barca vs Chelsea knockout matches in 1999/2000:
Our midfield trio was Cdm Guardiola, Cms Cocu and Gabri, hahahahahahahaha.
Cocu and Gabri.. That's like Rakitic and poor man's Roberto in today's terms.
So, how is that possible then?
Is Van Gaal a Barca's DNA coach or not?
Since Van Gaal made a lot of deadly sins:
1. playing with 2 thugs as CMs without too much technique, all they had was a lot of energy, running and good defending
2. Van Gaal played with too many tall players, and didn't play ONLY with Iniesta's type of players
3. Van Gaal used a lot of crosses and counters, not only possession.

So, guys, what now?
Is Van Gaal's Barca a true Barca or some "wrong Barca"?
And again, don't reply: how many CL's they won?
Lol, they didn't have Messi. Add Messi to this team and they would dominate against everyone.

Anyway, enjoy a video.
Plus, is this "ugly" football in this match? Since we don't have short midfielders, we don't have a controlling midfielder (Cocu and Gabri, lol).
Is this Barca at all?
Since imo, we played insanely beautiful back then also...
So, how is it possible to play beautiful with 2 thugs in midfield?

Bringing up early 2000 as an argument in favor of tall workhorses is quite something. :lol:

That was our worst fecking period in recent memory. If that's what we aspire to be then by all means, bring in all the Bogardes of the world.

As I have said, Messi alone, even with Cocu, Rochemback and Gabri as a midfielders would bring at least 1 CL in 7-8 years.

So, is our era in the last 10 years THAT good because of an awesome tactics or because of Messi, more or less?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans