The Ramón Calderón Memorial Thread

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
So, sunny and I were right :p

Florentino Perez: Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger Turned Down Real Madrid Role
Los Blancos' president admits the Spanish giants had planned to install the French tactician as their new head coach, but says Wenger would not be persuaded to leave the Gunners...
5 Jun 2009 13:03:25

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has revealed that the Spanish giants had explored the possibility of appointing Arsene Wenger as head coach, but were unable to tempt him into leaving Arsenal.

Eventually, Chilean tactician Manuel Pellegrini arrived from fellow Primera Division outfit Villarreal to succeed former Tottenham Hotspur boss Juande Ramos at the Santiago Bernabeu earlier this week.

However, it seems that speculation linking Wenger with a move to Los Blancos during May may not have been too wide of the mark.

Perez admits that he did make contact with the 59-year-old, but found that the French coach was wholly dedicated to helping the Gunners attain more silverware.

"From the beginning we have worked on two possibilities - Wenger and Pellegrini," Perez told L'Equipe.

"We have always been attracted by the Frenchman and we talked to him several times.

"He didn't come because he feels very responsible about what has happened and what will happen at Arsenal. He didn't want to abandon the club that he has given such a lot to.

"But as [director general Jorge] Valdano said: 'Pellegrini is the Wenger of Spanish football'."
--------------------------------

heh, so gio...

Sunny 1 - 0 Perez!

S

Snyde

Come on Beast why the hell are you so stubborn? Perez may not openly say that "I want X and Y" but you can be sure that the press (Marca) are his mouth and represent his promises.

Beast

The Observer
Come on Beast why the hell are you so stubborn? Perez may not openly say that "I want X and Y" but you can be sure that the press (Marca) are his mouth and represent his promises.

that means every president/director is the same which takes out the idea of the thread doesn't it ?

weren't u connected with Cesc,Villa..etc last season ? so does that make Laporta like Calderon ? .. i think u know the answer..

however if we are talking about failed attempts.. and according to Jatin post.. that makes the result 2 Perez (Kaka & Pellegerini )-1 Sunny (Wenger )

Beast

The Observer
Should Pellegrini count if Wenger was first choice? :hmmm:

according to the "attempts " it does count as success normally .. considering since Early April AS been claiming he is Valdano first choice for the job

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
So far he has only failed to land one of his promises. Still plenty of time to go...Ribery, Alonso, Silva etc...

Home of Barca Fans