Sergio Busquets

kollegah

such a champion, he gives a shit against whom he plays, he does his feints in any game, wether its cl final or cdr, i love his braveness.

what do you think about him beeing the future captain of the team, in my opinion hes such a leader, not that hes like a puyol, but hes so calm, he can dictate the speed of a game by his own. i feel so save when he gets the ball, he finds a solution for every situation in a manner, ive never seen before.

barcanuck

such a champion, he gives a shit against whom he plays, he does his feints in any game, wether its cl final or cdr, i love his braveness.

what do you think about him beeing the future captain of the team, in my opinion hes such a leader, not that hes like a puyol, but hes so calm, he can dictate the speed of a game by his own. i feel so save when he gets the ball, he finds a solution for every situation in a manner, ive never seen before.

I don't see him being the captain to be honest.

He will be one of the 4 captains however.

This is the pecking order now:

Carles Puyol (captain)
Xavi Hernández (vice-captain)
Víctor Valdés (3rd captain)
Andrés Iniesta (4th captain)

Messi is usually 5th if none of these guys are on field as we've seen him put on the armband a few times.

Now once some of these guys retire which still is a ways away hehe Pique, Busquets, Messi, Cesc will move up into that list.

But Messi and Pique are my picks.

M

mitkoa7x

I'd give 3rd captain to Busi, keepers cant be good captains as they have restricted movement.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Pique, Messi, Cesc, Thiago and Busquets are all possibilites for the 4 captain roles.
Pique looks the most likely. Cesc has some qualities, such as being one of the older ones, being a star and being Catalan, but he did leave the club and he might not have the right mentality. Messi is the star of the team, but he's a forward. Thiago has a positive attitude and seems to have leadership abilities, but he's a bit young. Busquets is calm and collected but so far lacks vocal leadership.

Galning

Piqué doesn't look like a captain to me. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
But who knows... maybe he'll be ready in 6 years when Puyol retires :pep:

Cule4life

The Culest
Piqué doesn't look like a captain to me. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
But who knows... maybe he'll be ready in 6 years when Puyol retires :pep:

Busi will be a better captain than loverboy Pique :) I dont blame him- Those truthful hips will distract anybody :)

J

jiopi

Anyone else thinks that he has improved from the start of the season? Maybe it's because he's happy to finally got recognition in Ballon d'Or shortlist, so that's extra motivation? Seems to have cut down diving and simulation also.

F

Flavia

Yes he's improved but not due to Ballon d'or. He knows he's the least deserving person on that list. I think maybe becoming a father has mad him more responsible
Busquets a father? Or are you talking about Pique?

X

xaviniesta

I see what you're trying to say about Busquets but I don't agree with you when you say goals are overrated. (unless you're saying goals for a DM are overrated? then i agree with you)

(1) The purpose of the game is to score more goals than the other team.
(2) A goal being scored changes the complexion of the game entirely (unless it's already 4-0 and the team scores the 5th).
Take Iniesta yday for example. He produced moments of so much skill but they ultimately led to nothing as he got dispossessed lots. Whereas Messi was just terrible all the time but had 1 moment of skill where he scored the 3rd goal which had a much bigger impact on the game.
Or look at Adriano's goal. Even at 1-0, Atletico were very comfortable but after Adriano's golazo (which came out of nowhere), Barca were all over them.

what i actually meant by that is that when busquets scored a goal, everybody said how great he was, overall. like good defending, great passing etc. man of the match even. well, he had just as good game against benfica, but got a red card with 5 mins to play and he got a lot of stick then. everybody said he was bad, i was the only one who regardless voted him MOTM, nothing to do with my love to busi - i've voted him maybe 3-4 times as MOTM this season and that was one of those matches where he was fantastic. bojan even put my vote to troll quarantee (how arrogant).

as for goals. what do you think is more important. to create such atmosphere for messi so he could walk around the pitch most part of the game, while others like busquets break up the plays, keep possession and keep barcelona basicly alive so messi could score those goals at the end of the game which you say are very important? i would say busi's 10+ interseptiosn he made that could led to a possible goal are not less important than a goal, like the last one which game from his great tackle.

footyfan

Calma, calma
As for goals, I agree with you. Of course, both are important for the team. But you can't underrate goals either because if Barca didn't have the confidence they have in Messi or the forward line to score, they would not play such a high attacking game that allows Busquets to play in his favoured way. Besides it's not like Messi only scores at the end of teh game when it's already over. He has already scored the first goal a huge number of times or put Barca ahead and that helps Barca to play a far more relaxed game. It also means that the opponent cannot sit back and defend all the time because they already are behind on the scoreline. There's been numerous times when the players have said in post-match conferences that they actively look for the goal because the game becomes much easier after they score.

I only misunderstood you because I thought you said "goals are overrated" in general. Take for example Messi vs Osasuna earlier this season or vs Levante away last season. He was pretty shit most of the game but scored twice and won the game for us. Lots and lots of people voted him MOTM because obviously he changed the result for us. That's what I was trying to point out - that there are games when more than consistent performance, a few moments of individual quality can be far more important. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Obviously for a DM like Busquets, goals mean nothing. But with the Atletico game compared to Benfica game or the Madrid game at home (in which I put Busi in the top3 as well if i recall correctly), Busquets played equally amazing but also scored a pure quality goal at an important time. So of course he's gonna get more praise now. You're worried that he doesnt get enough praise for his game when he doesn't score even though he plays the exact same way - which is valid. Maybe people don't say these things but they definitely notice. Like last year, I would say he was the second best performer for Barca after Messi. But he was never THE best in a lot of games, so people will not talk a lot about him. But at the end of the season, they will still say Busi was the second best on our team.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans