Samuel Umtiti

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I made a list years ago about French players joining Barcelona. All but one flopped and we got one good season out of that one.

Not related to race either.

xXKonan

We ended up giving him a big contract after a great season bar the Roma Disaster. Ended up having knee issues but still pushed himself and got a WC trophy but at the expense of his knee.

From then on the dude couldn't be relied on long term. He either got injured or was so far below the level required needed for us that we had to play Musical chairs between him and Lenglet as both were complete dumpster fires at that point.

Fair play for having a good season with Lecce but not sure why he's trying to rewrite history when we left the door open for him numerous times for him to leave but he refused to until last summer.

Messi983

I made a list years ago about French players joining Barcelona. All but one flopped and we got one good season out of that one.

Not related to race either.

Abidal, Henry, Digne, Mathieu, Giuly were all good signings imo.

Only real flops for me were guys like Christanval, Dehu and Dutruel at the start of this century.

And it's still way too early to write off Kounde. Not that he had a bad first season but I believe he will improve a lot in 2nd year.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Abidal, Henry, Digne, Mathieu, Giuly were all good signings imo.

Only real flops for me were guys like Christanval, Dehu and Dutruel at the start of this century.

And it's still way too early to write off Kounde. Not that he had a bad first season but I believe he will improve a lot in 2nd year.
Especially Abidal, Henry and to large extent Giuly were good signings imo.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Especially Abidal, Henry and to large extent Giuly were good signings imo.
Thuram was brief but excellent too

List is shorter for abject failures than good signings for the French

Portuguese lists would tilt more heavily towards failures

khaled_a_d

Thuram was brief but excellent too

List is shorter for abject failures than good signings for the French

Portuguese lists would tilt more heavily towards failures

I am a big fan of Thuram but in Barca was a bit like early years of Lenglet tbh.
He made so many mistakes in his two years to consider him success. Dominant one game and then cost you the next one.
One of the major reasons we didn't win the 2007 Liga title was his mistakes and bad performances. We got him few years too late.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I am a big fan of Thuram but in Barca was a bit like early years of Lenglet tbh.
He made so many mistakes in his two years to consider him success. Dominant one game and then cost you the next one.
One of the major reasons we didn't win the 2007 Liga title was his mistakes and bad performances. We got him few years too late.
Only agree we got him too late but 2007 failures were not down to him - he has a respected legacy at the club

Home of Barca Fans