MLS

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
MLS really holding there own against some foreign teams... granted it is preseason

but the wizards (what a STUPID name) with 10 men beat united... i feel like Barca athleti could beat the wizards...just saying

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I've watched a few of these MLS international matches and came away impressed with LA, Philly, KC & Red Bulls - particularly NY...Dane Richards is a very interesting player.

Level of MLS clearly looks better than I remember, no doubt about it...Skill/technical level still seems to be a bit behind the best leagues, atm...But that gap looks like it is closing, fast

Ultimately, it'll rest on the fans and coverage...Even trying to read writeups etc. on post match subject matter remains a difficult proposition when compared to the top European leagues...Coverage and fan interest in the US will be key going forward probably...Talent level seems to have made up more ground than it's coverage

M

Miss Kris

That MLS All Stars vs. Man U game was interesting to watch; nice to see Ching and de Rosario score. And it was pretty cool to see the reception the crowd gave Chicharito on his debut. Almost 80,000 people in attendance=awesome.

I'm not super familiar with the reception/popularity of MLS soccer in North America, as I've only started trying to follow it recently, but it seems like the momentum and interest generated by the World Cup is being really being maxed to its potential with recent events. Between the Celtic/SCP game at Fenway Park, the two high profile signings to NY Red Bulls, and that all-star game, I think it bodes well in terms of generating audience interest, both in soccer/football generally and in the MLS.

XaviMessiGirl

I think in some areas the interest has grown, LA Galaxy and Seattle Sounders already had a pretty big fan base that is getting bigger. NY Red Bulls will probably grow too.

There is still no one at Earthquakes games though, they have a small stadium but even then it's not like it sells out. Record attendance - around 2,700 when I was there for their friendly against Spurs. I don't know if it's to do with the fact that they're a mediocre team and no one wants to come out, or if there are just considerably less football fans here than in other cities with teams.

Even though I've gone to matches I'm still not a fan myself, MLS just hasn't ever interested me, I've tried though. I think all the teams need more foreign players to bring other styles of play into the league, hopefully that helps. Heard the Sounders signed Alvaro Fernandez from the Uruguay NT, interesting.

diegomessi

I am a fan of columbus crew and 3 times now i have driven the 11 hours up there on a few weekends... nice to see the old Boca Legend doing so well in older age

!Guille barros!

XaviMessiGirl

DM do you know of Javier Robles? He's an Argentine midfielder who is on the Earthquakes but he's only been played twice, I was just wondering if he's actually any good

diegomessi

Yea he was a failure at Velez that is all i know really... he is 3 years older then me so when i was actually playing he wouldn't have prolly been around

A

Aker

I think in some areas the interest has grown, LA Galaxy and Seattle Sounders already had a pretty big fan base that is getting bigger. NY Red Bulls will probably grow too.

There is still no one at Earthquakes games though, they have a small stadium but even then it's not like it sells out. Record attendance - around 2,700 when I was there for their friendly against Spurs. I don't know if it's to do with the fact that they're a mediocre team and no one wants to come out, or if there are just considerably less football fans here than in other cities with teams.

Even though I've gone to matches I'm still not a fan myself, MLS just hasn't ever interested me, I've tried though. I think all the teams need more foreign players to bring other styles of play into the league, hopefully that helps. Heard the Sounders signed Alvaro Fernandez from the Uruguay NT, interesting.

Maybe when they get good you can support the best one?....

diegomessi

the matches are boring sometimes on tv but live they are nice, and the atmosphere is very safe and relaxing family friendly, in argentina i gotta worry about getting knifed or hit with a brick, and i wouldnt dream about taking a girl or kid to a match

the playoffs are good though

XaviMessiGirl

Yea he was a failure at Velez that is all i know really... he is 3 years older then me so when i was actually playing he wouldn't have prolly been around

Ah okay, says he had 38 appearances for Olimpo but yeah all the other places he played didn't use him much

Maybe when they get good you can support the best one?....

I think if I ever supported an MLS team it would have to be my local one, so I'm hoping they get some signings that make them more interesting to watch, not necessarily successful but at least not terribly boring. If the Sounders, who are worse than the Earthquakes, can get a guy who played in the WC, I'm hoping the Earthquakes can attract someone too.

diegomessi

dont mind theo... he has been suffering at the hands of "plastics" for a very long time he lashes out sometime but we all love him

O and san jose have Bobby Convey dont they? he is good

XaviMessiGirl

the matches are boring sometimes on tv but live they are nice, and the atmosphere is very safe and relaxing family friendly, in argentina i gotta worry about getting knifed or hit with a brick, and i wouldnt dream about taking a girl or kid to a match

the playoffs are good though

Oh lord yeah, I have never seen a fight at a match here, worst I have seen is people booing someone supporting the opposition... which unless you're overly sensitive isn't bad compared to other countries where you can get beaten up or worse if someone decides they don't like you. Even in England or Spain it can get bad, but South America is the worst.

I think the mentality here is that people go to games as a family outing, or as something fun to do on your weekend, rather than because they're a die-hard supporter of whatever club. We don't really have those "ultras" and such

Home of Barca Fans