European Super League

FinBarcelonafan

I think people also forget, that success of past ten years means almost crap for the next ten years. Who knows how good Arsenal will be in ten years. Maybe Madrid and Barcelona both suck then and Arsenal rules the world. You never know with football.

Hardy

Florentino Perez: "Everything I do, I do it for the good of football."

tenor.gif

Richard.H

Florentino Perez (Super League president): "20 years ago I used to play Pro Evolution with my son on his PS2. I told him this is what European football needs. One day I will implement this and save football."

Wait, is this an actual quote? Has to be a joke :lol:

akaranzo

UEFA proposal protects core of bigger clubs by more or less gteeing their place in it.

About only difference is more of the poorer sides in it and not so closed off.

UEFA's proposal also sucks then, but this is so much worse. This is like combating one room being on fire by setting the whole house on fire.

Jadentheman

Leicester doesn't have the influence of those clubs. Nowhere near. Financially or fan wise. They are not powerful enough.

It's mostly based on visibility and money attraction.

Very true. Those three clubs are international name brand clubs. You ask any casual or someone who doesn't really know about soccer and they will recognize those names. Leicester not so much. I think a lot of people are overestimating the appeal of smaller clubs and consistent big club to big club matchups. Maybe it's because I'm American, but saying the sport will die is far off the mark. ESL probably will reach more markets and eyes than current iteration of CL IMO.

Porque

I really hate the idea in the Uefa system that who is playing who in the league system is unequal. It's going to give unfair league standings.

fergus90

Very true. Those three clubs are international name brand clubs. You ask any casual or someone who doesn't really know about soccer and they will recognize those names. Leicester not so much. I think a lot of people are overestimating the appeal of smaller clubs and consistent big club to big club matchups. Maybe it's because I'm American, but saying the sport will die is far off the mark. ESL probably will reach more markets and eyes than current iteration of CL IMO.

Pretty much highlights everything I detest about this very idea. The fact teams can't automatically qualify because any casual on his sofa thousands of miles away hasn't heard of the side so they shouldn't be guaranteed entry based on sporting merit.

Meanwhile the fan who has spent a lot of his hard earned wages on the club may miss out on seeing his local team play against Europes best.

akaranzo

But the wrong kinds of eyes. What makes you more interested in getting involved with watching a sport, seeing people who are deeply passionate about their team, live and breathe what their club represents or some fans who live thousands of miles away from the team they claim to support, only tune in for finals and switch teams every few years if the team they liked isn't doing that well anymore? I would not be a fan of this club or this sport in general if I hadn't seen how much passion and love it can generate. Not how much money it makes or how many millions of neutrals are watching it. It's about passion, and this kills that.

Yannik

But the wrong kinds of eyes. What makes you more interested in getting involved with watching a sport, seeing people who are deeply passionate about their team, live and breathe what their club represents or some fans who live thousands of miles away from the team they claim to support, only tune in for finals and switch teams every few years if the team they liked isn't doing that well anymore? I would not be a fan of this club or this sport in general if I hadn't seen how much passion and love it can generate. Not how much money it makes or how many millions of neutrals are watching it. It's about passion, and this kills that.

He is part of the latter crowd you are referencing here.

akaranzo

He is part of the latter crowd you are referencing here.

Yeah, but even then he should be able to understand why this is wrong. I'm no better, I'm not from Barcelona either. But I recognize that the people that actually live in Barcelona and have grown up loving the club generation to generation are the true heart of the club and they can't get screwed over by shit like this super league.

Jadentheman

But that the current state right now. There are both passionate local & international fans, bandwagon fans(during the periods of winning), and casuals that root for a team on a streak of recent success or historical success.

Yeah, but even then he should be able to understand why this is wrong. I'm no better, I'm not from Barcelona either. But I recognize that the people that actually live in Barcelona and have grown up loving the club generation to generation are the true heart of the club and they can't get screwed over by shit like this super league.

No I agree. But from the perspective of those at the top what do you think matters more?

Hardy

Florentino Perez: “We will try to select the best referees for the Super League with professional criteria.”

:koeman:

Home of Barca Fans