European Super League

Yannik

Yeah, but even then he should be able to understand why this is wrong. I'm no better, I'm not from Barcelona either. But I recognize that the people that actually live in Barcelona and have grown up loving the club generation to generation are the true heart of the club and they can't get screwed over by shit like this super league.

Well in the end its a stereotype and locations arent automatically confirming a mindset. Most people in this forum arent from Catalunya and I dont think it makes everyone a couch merchant.
But if the poster has these views AND is from Texas, well then the stereotype just fits.

ZeRoberto

At first I was very upset but now after thinking it thoroughly I realized it can be not bad idea in reality. Lets face facts - football is not romantic sport anymore. Gap between top clubs and rest is growing season by season. Good examples:
-in La Liga we have 10th season in row with Atletico, Real and Barca all in top3
-PSG is playing in Ligue 1 since 1974 - before ownership change they won only 2 championship titles. After Nasser Al-Khelaifi was appointed chairman they won 7 from 9 Ligue 1 seasons.
-Bayern is on their way for 9th league victory in row
-Juventus won last 9 seasons of serie A
-In last 15 years only one club outside 'shameless six' represented Premier League in Champions League - obviously it was Leicester City after their sensational title in 2016. We need to go back to 2005 to find another club that was in top4 spot giving right to play in CL(Everton)
-In last 20 years founding SuperLeague clubs won 17 titles. Bayern that will likely join party soon won 2 more, only in 2003/04 title was awared to FC Porto.

So lets end with hipocrisy. Those clubs grown too big. Saying that smaller clubs can compete for anything other than scraps off the table is just lie. I only hope that new league will soon transform into something like NBA for football. In NBA big budget doesnt guarantee anything, there are certain rules that ensure teams with smaller budget can compete on equal(almost) footing against clubs with higher income. Good example is New York Knicks - richiest franchise in NBA, but its their 8th season in row without qualification to playoffs. I wish something like this is also possible with new SuperLeague. Just imagine - league where club wins more money, but also competition is more fierce as club cant spent all those earned euros to buy better footballers that other teams. It would be win-win situation - we would get more interesting competition and clubs would get even more cash.

Jadentheman

So you're just playing devils advocate? If thats so then I'll backtrack.

I'm trying to see both sides of this thing. For me it's not so much to be for or against it because I don't live in Europe nor do I have concrete connections to these clubs. So anything involving UEFA and all that I just take a neutral position. My domain/lane is MLS and anything else that affects North American soccer. Yes I do realize world football is played in Europe and that I am a Barca fan so there is some stake I should have in this, but eh.

FinBarcelonafan

Well in the end its a stereotype and locations arent automatically confirming a mindset. Most people in this forum arent from Catalunya and I dont think it makes everyone a couch merchant.
But if the poster has these views AND is from Texas, well then the stereotype just fits.

Most of the posters here probably care more about Barca than people living in Barcelona.

Heck, we are spending time online talking about Barcelona. Day in and out. How many people are that committed? Not many.

From my personal experience: I was always surprised how little people wanted to talk(or care) about Barca in Barcelona. (Locals and other travelers). Barcelona attracts a lot of different type of people.

Fc Barcelona today is very much a tourist attraction..

akaranzo

At first I was very upset but now after thinking it thoroughly I realized it can be not bad idea in reality. Lets face facts - football is not romantic sport anymore. Gap between top clubs and rest is growing season by season. Good examples:
-in La Liga we have 10th season in row with Atletico, Real and Barca all in top3
-PSG is playing in Ligue 1 since 1974 - before ownership change they won only 2 championship titles. After Nasser Al-Khelaifi was appointed chairman they won 7 from 9 Ligue 1 seasons.
-In last 15 years only one club outside 'shameless six' represented Premier League in Champions League - obviously it was Leicester City after their sensational title in 2016. We need to go back to 2005 to find another club that was in top4 spot giving right to play in CL(Everton)
-In last 20 years founding SuperLeague clubs won 17 titles. Bayern that will likely join party soon won 2 more, only in 2003/04 title was awared to FC Porto.

So lets end with hipocrisy. Those clubs grown too big. Saying that smaller clubs can compete for anything other than scraps off the table is just lie. I only hope that new league will soon transform into something like NBA for football. In NBA big budget doesnt guarantee anything, there are certain rules that ensure teams with smaller budget can compete on equal(almost) footing against clubs with higher income. Good example is New York Knicks - richiest franchise in NBA, but its their 8th season in row without qualification to playoffs. I wish something like this is also possible with new SuperLeague. Just imagine - league where club wins more money, but also competition is more fierce as club cant spent all those earned euros to buy better footballers that other teams. It would be win-win situation - we would get more interesting competition and clubs would get even more cash.

But this is going the opposite way of that. Instead of New York Knicks not being able to qualify, these 12 clubs have guaranteed themselves automatic qualification to this super league every season. I agree that the gap in football has been widening already and something needs to change but this is only accelerating that gap, not fixing it.

FinBarcelonafan

Very true. Good post. It really shows how boring normal leagues have become in general, very few surprises.

Yannik

and clubs would get even more cash.

Only 15 clubs will get more cash. The rest is worse off than before. This isnt in any way adressing the gap between the rich and the poor, this is just going in the direction "well lets just fuck the poor then".

Home of Barca Fans