European Super League

Porque

BTW, different levels and sports but worth reading up about the formation of the PDC Darts in the 90s breaking away from the BDO. Smaller scale but this will be similar (except UEFA won't become defunct like the BDO).

Yannik

I dont even think there's increased entertainment value in there compared to the CL. This is like saying "people love the WC, let's make it every year."

Rassvet

We'd need to revamp our whole squad if this happens. The value of certain players and tactics would change considerably if every match is against another top team.

jairzinho

Biggest winners with this are AC Milan who have been dead as a top club for almost a decade. Much like Arsenal. All we need is Marseille to join ahead of PSG and the 90s circle jerk is complete.

With funding from the new league they would probably be able to overhaul their squads and bring in lots of star players.

Porque

We'd need to revamp our whole squad if this happens. The value of certain players and tactics would change considerably if every match is against another top team.

Messi staying and starting until 37/38 years old confirmed.

This new league will be about glitz and glamour over results. For us that will mean Messi being there.

Richard.H

I am not sure how this format will be good for Barcelona. We are not an oil club and aren't owned by a foreign rich company.

Richard.H

Also can someone give a quick cliff notes on this?

What I've read and not sure about: So teams still participate in their respective country leagues, but no longer play in the CL?

What happens to Europa League level teams? I mean surely this is great for clubs like AC Milan, Arsenal, and Inter who are building their clubs back up. So they no longer participate in UEFA Europa League?

What happens to teams that finish top 4 in La Liga that aren't the 3 big teams? Is there some Secondary Super League where this teams play at?

Also, this obviously increases amount of games in a season. There is already plenty of injuries in the sport. How will this issue be dealt with? 5 subs are permanent now? No cup competitions like CDR, FA Cup, Coupe De France, etc?

Last edited:

Messigician

🚨🚨[Telegraph] | All clubs in the Super League have left the European Club Association!!

❗Champions League and Europa League matches are temporarily suspended.

? BBC

❗Italian, Spanish and English federations are SERIOUSLY considering to cancel the leagues for this season or not award the trophy if the teams involved in Super League win.

? AS

This is fucked.

Messigician

Here's a clue as to why 12 clubs have signed up for a European Super League:

They lost a combined ?1.2 billion in 2019/20 before player sales*

And that was for a season where only the last 3 months were impacted by COVID...

*Liverpool have not yet published their accounts

Wow

Rassvet

With european football in chaos, it's time for MLS to make a power play and become the NBA of soccer. :cheers:

Home of Barca Fans