Daniel Alves

P

PhilS

Doesn't his contract run until 2012? Still time to re-sign him, or at least get 1+ more years from him.

He has to be the best offensive back in the world right now. Even without having a killer shot or the best cross. Whatever you think about his defense, it is not as good as his offense. But on balance, it is easy to see why he is now starting for Brazil and never comes off the field for Barca. Part of Barca's core.

He passes very well, is unselfish, is an incredible runner, this does not seem like the type of player Barca is going to let go.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Lahm could never be the same as Alves but he would be the closest possible replacement. Too bad we cant buy Ramos from RM! ;)

If the board are making a fuss over a few million they are being stupid. I hate to say it but I think Alves will leave. If the board piss him off it will be a matter of principles and he will leave. He has alot of pride and will not hang around.

P

PhilS

Thanks for that, Mido. Barca does employ a very risky type of defense that requires speed and tackling ability from all the backs. Alves' contribution to the buildup, possession passing style uses the skills he has that are so rare at his position. And a big part of his contibution to the Barca defense is that his offensive threats cause the other team to have to put their offensive guys back into defense. You can't buy this combination, it is Barca-specific. And Alves is not likely to contribute as much to another team as he does to Barca.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
First of all Lahm just extended his contract at Bayern till 2016, basically committing his life to Bayern as he is about to take over van Bommels capitaincy next summer anyway.

But thats not the only reason Alves' possible departure would be a major blow as there just isnt a reasonable alternative with similar pace, energy, determination and both defensive aggression and offensive flair. But i dont see it happen so likely though ... there can only be a monetary reason to transfer to Man City. Both the team and the personal life will be worse than in Barcelona and i doubt that Alves would ignore that. Bringing Man City into play is just part of the negotiations i guess.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Van der Wiel is overrated IMO...Massive difference in quality of play on both ends of the pitch compared to Dani...I'd take a Masia player over him easily

Ocelot

One of my fave players at Barca (If he was with Real Madrid, i m sure i would have hated him more than Ronaldo). I hope he stays with Barca, he has perfect understanding with Messi, and is a machine. None can replace him

Galning

Seems like we offered him a final offer which would make him one of our best paid players just behind Messi, Villa, Iniesta & Xavi. He turned it down..

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Easily? Lahm could potentially develop the same understanding with Messi as Alves does, but that's not guaranteed, not at all. Besides, Lahm probably wouldn't come cheap.

I really hope that the board won't be stubborn over this, and give Alves what he wants (and deserves). His departure would be a terrible loss for our team.

Messi plays in the center nowadays... so there need not be any talk about chemistry. We surely won't be missing his bad crosses and those more-than-ccasional defense feckups. But the most important aspect about Alves that we could probably not be able to replace is his mid field displays. He essentially plays a RM role for us frequently providing Xavi an option to pass to, an outlet from the midfield pressure, like Iniesta does on his left hand side. It won't be easy to find a defender with such an attacking flair really. Probably the best option to find a replacement for Alves is to groom a mid fielder into a fullback!!

Seamus

If he does go there is a possible replacement there, that van der Wiel fella in Ajax could be just as good???

I can see him leaving some time soon, hasnt he been on about the premiership for a good while now??

Hellsangel

There is no player who can replace Alves. He's such a vital part of our team. When he's on the pitch it looks like we play with 12 men.

Home of Barca Fans