CL Round 5: Barca - Porto 2-1

serghei

Yes Barca have done as expected... no brownie points because others havent.

Doesnt work that way.

No. But others get a bad grade for not doing the same.

And since Barca don't play football alone, it's nice that the club is doing better than many teams spending far more. It means that, despite the noise, Barca are not doing too shabby at all.

JamDav1982

No. But others get a bad grade for not doing the same.

And since Barca don't play football alone, it's nice that the club is doing better than many teams spending far more. It means that, despite the noise, Barca are not doing too shabby at all.

Ok others get bad grade... not relevant to how Barca are judged.

Barca have better squad than likes of United no doubt.

If City or Real dont win CL they dont go seeking teams that spend more and did worse.

Losers mentality trying to find areas of credit when fail.

serghei

Ok others get bad grade... not relevant to how Barca are judged.

Barca have better squad than likes of United no doubt.

OK. Just make sure you keep the same high standards in the future as well, for when Xavi is not gonna be here.

Same on my part. If I care about my own principles, I can't shit on the next manager for just winning some titles and not playing top football with this squad.

JamDav1982

OK. Just make sure you keep the same high standards in the future as well, for when Xavi is not gonna be here.

Same on my part. If I care about my own principles, I can't shit on the next manager for just winning some titles and not playing top football with this squad.

Indeed.. same high standards no matter the coach.

Been over that.

Not that the standards have been particularly high for Xavi in comparison to many other coaches.

Just make sure you keep the same standards in future and dont revert to how judged others when 'too harsh'.

serghei

Same, if the club is gonna hire some guy like De Zerbi and wins La Liga by playing better football and does better in CL... have to own up to it and say De Zerbi is a better manager than Xavi.

JamDav1982

Same, if the club is gonna hire some guy like De Zerbi and wins La Liga by playing better football and does better in CL... have to own up to it and say De Zerbi is a better manager than Xavi.

Yes obviously the next coach would need to improve the position left and to standards expected.

That would be whole aim otherwise keep Xavi regardless.

Xavi himself needs to meet those aims from here not just the next coach.

serghei

Yes obviously the next coach would need to improve the position left.

That would be whole aim.

Not just the position left, but has to deliver on the expectations of the club. Koeman left the team on 9th place. Does this mean Xavi just needed to improve on 9th place? :lol:

The expectations are to win big titles, compete in CL, and play nice football. The whole package. Xavi delivered on some, not so much on others.

JamDav1982

Not just the position left, but has to deliver on the expectations of the club. Koeman left the team on 9th place. Does this mean Xavi just needs to improve on 9th place? :lol:

The expectations are to win big titles, compete in CL, and play nice football. The whole package. Xavi delivered on some, not so much on others.

Yes as said 'as to standards expected'.

What are the rules? A new coach would have to from here improve the style and in Europe and challenge but thats not expected of Xavi as won league last season?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Same expectation from here no matter who is coach.

Koeman should have gone in summer and faced issues Xavi cant even begin to compare.

serghei

Yes as said 'as to standards expected'.

What are the rules? A new coach would have to from here improve the style and in Europe and challenge but thats not expected of Xavi as won league last season?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

It's pretty simple.

The club's main objective is to win titles. Not immediately. But soon.

From here, if you are so great that you can win titles and play top stuff, without big spending... then I have to admit that the manager is amazing.

On Xavi, you can argue that the aesthetics of the game are not great. But... last season he won 1 big title, and 1 2nd rate title.

On the titles department, Xavi is on 2 titles in 1 full season as manager. That's not easy with this squad. Just want to make sure that winning titles is still, at Barcelona, the main barometer for success.

So... no bullshit like we played well but ended up empty-handed. That's Tottenham stuff. You play well AND win if you want to stay on the job.

Loki

A very good second half, Xavi can build on that. I hope Cancelo stays LB for the time being until Balde gets his form back.

JamDav1982

It's pretty simple.

For me, the club's main objective is to win titles. Not immediately. But soon.

From here, if you are so great that you can win titles and play top stuff, without big spending... then I have to admit that the manager is amazing.

On Xavi, you can argue that the aesthetics of the game are not great. But... last season he won 1 big title, and 1 2nd rate title.

On the titles department, Xavi is on 2 titles in 1 full season as manager. That's not easy with this squad. Just want to make sure that winning titles is still, at Barcelona, the main barometer for success.

So... no bullshit like we played well but ended up empty-handed. That's Tottenham stuff. You play well AND win if you want to stay on the job.

The clubs objective is indeed to win titles AND compete in Europe and to do it playing in a certain way.

That is how it is at Barca and doesnt get changed for Xavi despite him been given leeway on that so far.

From here Barca need to compete much better in Europe.. finances need it and need to compete in league also with a brand off football as always.

What Xavi has done in past will give him more time but it is what he does going forward that will determine how long stay in job.

You keep making up shit about 'playing well and empty handed' and wanting Conte next.. no one is saying that is acceptable or what aim would be if Xavi leaves.

Squad was better than Real last season and far better than shown this season.

serghei

The only exception is Champions League. Even if you fail to win Champions League, a semifinal for example has to be seen as a success with this squad. So if a new manager fails to win La Liga vs Madrid and Atletico, but somehow improves our CL record under Xavi, then the manager is worth backing up.

serghei

The clubs objective is indeed to win titles AND compete in Europe and to do it playing in a certain way.

That is how it is at Barca and doesnt get changed for Xavi despite him been given leeway on that so far.

From here Barca need to compete much better in Europe.. finances need it and need to compete in league also with a brand off football as always.

OK.

I can accept fans being ultra-demanding with a manager. Not realistic imo, since squad quality needs looking at before you can demand such ambitions, but hey, at least it's gonna be consistent.

ajnotkeith

The only exception is Champions League. Even if you fail to win Champions League, a semifinal for example has to be seen as a success with this squad. So if a new manager fails to win La Liga vs Madrid and Atletico, but somehow improves our CL record under Xavi, then the manager is worth backing up.
Depends who is beaten.

Overperforming would be putting out a better side like City or Bayern, that would increase Xavi's Europe standing. Otherwise if we just beat fodder and lose to the first good opponent it doesn't mean much.

JamDav1982

No one is saying Barca HAVE to win CL. Not even remotely been claimed but they can still get to QFs etc and it be a failure of a season in europe depending on who meet and how play.

Home of Barca Fans