CL: Barca - Man City 1-0 (3-1 agg.)

footyfan

Calma, calma
My main point was to highlight Barca's wastefulness infront of goal but yeah, English teams have declined a lot. If this current United team finishes in 2nd place which they have a great chance to do it will sum up the Premier League. They have played 2 good games the entire season. Against QPR at home and Spurs a couple days ago.

Funny how those two work out together (naivete of opposition and Barca's wastefulness in front of goal). Could it be that the shock of having such open space and so many options unbalances Barca's poise in front of goal slightly? Not something that they really get to practice, if anything they probably practice day in day out how to get better with parked buses and in tight spaces.

utility73

Still pissed off re. our conversion rate. That was absolutely horrible besides not having much luck with those three hits on posts.
Though nothing else to be criticized, absolutely dominated them, with relatively decent conversion rate we would have made at least 6 golazos.
Anyway on Sunday we will need to be a lot more clinical in front of the goal, because we will most likely not get that many chances but Real themselves will most likely create a bit for themselves too.

G

Gasgas

This happens all the time against English opposition. Still doesn't hold a candle to that ridiculous 2-2 against Arsenal in 09/10. This one:

Created twice as many chances as today in the first half alone and went 0-0 into half time.

Manchester United in the CL final '11 should have ended 6-0 yet we go 1-1 into HT. Arsenal 10/11 total onslaught in Camp Nou yet they somehow get a goal from a Busquets own goal despite ending the game with 0 shots. Chelsea 2012 needs no mentioning.

I found some consolation from this

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Not a bad game. We gave the ball away cheaply at times. If it wasn't for Joe Hart we would've won 4 or 5-0.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
I do take some comfort in the fact that although our finishing was poor, it took top save after top save from Hart to keep us from scoring bucket loads against a top European side.

Mido

Barca's offensive game yesterday was monstruous. They were ( short) parts of this game where I, howerver, was very worried about the fact that we gave the ball sometimes too easily.

Still, this was a good performance. Rakitic was amazing. Iniesta was average ( comparing to his true talent). Mascherano has reassured me.

Rakitic and Neymar seemed to have ran out of gas at the end of the match.

Leo_Messi

The most important thing was to advance to the quarterfinals without picking up any injuries before the El Clásico game and preferably win in order to boost the teams confidence further. All of that succeeded. That the result should have been 7-2 or 6-2 if the team was not so wasteful in front of goal is another discussion altogether.

As long as they have used their quota of "wastefulness" for this week I won't complain as I really want the team to trash RM.

Messi is Messi. The best way to describe him.

Oh, and it's always a pleasure to kick out English teams.

Bucky

Penya Member
are+you.png

It was an entertaining game of football. With the game "already won" they invited Citeh to play and in doing so opened them up, toying with them. It was both amusing & hilarious to watch.

You could say City almost gave up from the off but they did have some chances, not many, but we flexed our defensive capabilities.

City were simply out classed across 2 legs with a Barça team at about 40-60%. They didn't need to go all out. What we saw in the first half of the first leg basically put this whole tie to bed. Call it conserving energy and rightly so, why bother? We have an important game on the horizon and at times we slowed it down to walking pace whilst still looking dangerous, again inviting City on but they didn't seem to care and just walked with us. Watch as Barça then broke into an attack.

After the first near miss by Neymar, Hart's tactic was to come rushing out and smother the area of the ball trajectory and/or player.

Great game by both gk's, Stegen is clearly our future #1 and I am ever more confident in his abilities. German gk's... phwoooaaaarrrrr

The created chances were fantastic, it's convincing & great to see that we can open up teams in such a way and look dangerous. Sad indeed; as Kohe pointed out exactly what I wanted to say;

Hart was immense.

BUT, don't let that fool you: the reason we didn't score more was because of our complacent attitude. We played too relaxed, released the ball to late, shot to late, or shot when we should have square passed it.

I hate this attitude, and I think it can sink us later in the CL if we start with it again BEFORE a match has been decided properly.

But all in all, the lack of goals here say absolutely NOTHING about the coming clasico. The mentality will be completely different.

Spot on. It was frustrating to see the ball being released far too late, shot too late or shooting when the ball should have been passed or passed when it should have been shot. That has happened regularly through the season and something they need to brush up on. Neymar aggravates me to no end when he slows it right down when he needs to use his speed, agility & skill to take it past. Quite a fair few chances especially on the counter that should & could have been put away but I don't want to be another echo. We all know it could & should have been a higher score line but the fact is we won 3-1 without much effort and are through to the next stage.

That's all that matters. No injuries, didn't need to go ham before the Clasico so hopefully energy levels aren't going to be spent. Our only lose is Alves for the next CL match but something that can be filled.

Oh, and it's always a pleasure to kick out English teams.

Try living in the country, because it's not, all we're going to hear is blah blah blah moan moan moan, bitch bitch bitch more none sense garbage from usual pundits *yawn* :lol: jk'ing of course, it is an absolute pleasure to out class English teams and shut them up. Unless they start the "how we were cheated" campaign aka '09 (they're still sour to this day about it).

Last edited:

sailor

I think that Barca should charge non -Barca fans extra-fare on tickets when Messi is on the list. You cannot be entairtained for free.:bartomeu:

cmsy27

I get the feeling with Neymar that he wants to try and 'repay' Messi for all those assists. He's trying too hard to impress him almost.

He needs to learn when the pass is on and when its clearly not on.

Yeah, that could be why, but he definitely needs to learn fast. Wasting chances against a poor City is alright but against an RM that needs to prove itself, a single chance could decide the match. Wonder what's up with Neymar anyway apart from passing when he shouldn't. Hope he gets back in form on Sunday :neutral:

Home of Barca Fans