Barca Transfers and Rumors

Chainsaw

Killahead
Our Board's obsession with the Brazilian market is just tragic. I'm sure there are some upcoming talents, but we tend to be inclined towards medicore-shitty ones. Almost feel like they just want to make up for Alves & Adriano's departure, lest their fav boy feels homesick.
Neither Luan's stats or highlights look anything remotely impressive. And he's 23yr old. If he belonged to fiji or lesser football nation, would the board still be interested?

Yeah this nonsense fetish is still going on since 90s, while it is an Argentino who's leading the club to their most successful era ever!

Xavinho

Yes, damn our obsession with the Brazilian market that's forced us into buying two Frenchmen, a Spaniard, and a Portuguese this season, and last season made us get a Catalan and a Turkish player, and the season before that made us get a German, a Chilean, a Uruguayan, a Croatian, a Frenchman, a Belgian, and one Brazilian. When will this Brazilian madness end?

God Serena

Yes, damn our obsession with the Brazilian market that's forced us into buying two Frenchmen, a Spaniard, and a Portuguese this season, and last season made us get a Catalan and a Turkish player, and the season before that made us get a German, a Chilean, a Uruguayan, a Croatian, a Frenchman, a Belgian, and one Brazilian. When will this Brazilian madness end?

The Brazilian player we bought in that season before is arguably the worst player to ever wear a Barca jersey though.

Xavinho

The Brazilian player we bought in that season before is arguably the worst player to ever wear a Barca jersey though.

One player out of many doesn't constitute an "obsession" though. And personally, I wonder if his transfer wasn't so much motivated by his nationality as perhaps it was by some shady business related to Neymar's transfer.

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
People watching the Brazilian league.. are there any decent RBs coming from there or not?

Mario Gaspar, Hugo Mallo, Bellerin, Fabinho, Hysaj, Aurier etc etc etc have already been talked about but maybe there's someone new out there?

Probably not, 'cuz the Brazilian U23 is using a LB as a RB afaik, but.. anything?

Edit: seems like Marcos Rocha (27, Atletico Mineiro) has been in Brazilian league team of the year for 4 years straight. He's probably wank tho or he would've been bough which pretty much sums up my question above I guess...

Last edited:

xXKonan

MD had a tidbit on their cover saying this will be a key week for the 4th striker and it won't be Brazilian.

Watch Sport be correct in the end and we sign Luan. :lol:

F

Flavia

MD had a tidbit on their cover saying this will be a key week for the 4th striker and it won't be Brazilian.

Watch Sport be correct in the end and we sign Luan. :lol:
I really hope sport is wrong.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What happened to that "big news" unveiling that former Sport director or whatever talked about right after we signed Gomes?

They were only kidding?

xXKonan

What happened to that "big news" unveiling that former Sport director or whatever talked about right after we signed Gomes?

They were only kidding?
Whatever it was it didn't have to do with any transfer news I guess.

According to the Turkish Press Mario Gomez, might stick around with Beşiktaş afterall.

Chainsaw

Killahead
One player out of many doesn't constitute an "obsession" though. And personally, I wonder if his transfer wasn't so much motivated by his nationality as perhaps it was by some shady business related to Neymar's transfer.

It is an obsession when you see of all the places the club could look for reinforcements they still seem to be insistent to look for 'em in Brazil. And not the Brazil of 90s and 2000s but today's Brazil, where their massive decline of talents is pretty obvious. Why despite this insistence no Brazilian has arrived (yet)? Well maybe because they were not good enough, or too expensive for the current budget, or simply because the club doesn't want to be mocked again for bringing another Douglas here (so far)!

Remember the past several summers when we kept hearing about Barca pushing for Marquinhos when every man and his dog knew PSG won't sell him to Barca? Is he really that enormous defender that Barca needs? Was he the only defender in the world who has Barca DNA'?? Hell no! Remember before David Luiz and Thiago Silva end up in PSG how many god damn times we heard about Barca pushing to sign them? Maybe we could say Thiago Silva was one of the best defenders in the world (at the time), but could we say the same thing about Luiz? What were the reasons behind this obsession for these 3 specific defenders who were all coindidentially Brazilian?!

You know how much controversy the club has brought upon themselves just to get their hands on Neymar? You think they were going to go through all these shits if for example he was not Brazilian? Now don't get me wrong on the Neymar the player. I am not using this to question his talents (whenever he's using it the right way!). Just saying, why the club has to go through all these complications that even makes the president of the club to resign from his post? And what was the reason behind the signing of Lord Douglas? Give me one good reason why Barca (of all the clubs) must get this guy, not even for free or thousands but 6m???

If all of these don't give you a hint I don't know what will. If you were folowing Barcelona long enough you'll be well aware of the club's connection to Brazil. It's nothing new.

Xavinho

It is an obsession when you see of all the places the club could look for reinforcements they still seem to be insistent to look for 'em in Brazil.

We are not insistent about looking in Brazil. We sign many more players from la liga than Brazil. We've also signed players from France, Italy, England, and Germany recently.

Razor said:
Remember the past several summers when we kept hearing about Barca pushing for Marquinhos when every man and his dog knew PSG won't sell him to Barca? Is he really that enormous defender that Barca needs? Was he the only defender in the world who has Barca DNA'??

Evidentially not, because who we actually signed for that position was a Frenchman from la liga, and a Belgian from the Premier League. Marquinhos is an excellent young defender though, and it's natural we would be interested in him given our requirements. We also don't know how much of that was genuine interest up to a point and how much was media invention after that.

Thiago Silva and David Luiz (despite his reputation) have both been very good for PSG. Many clubs were interested in them. Nothing particularly unusual about interest in either of them, but again we don't know how genuine our interest was or for how long it persisted. Zubi was an incompetent sporting director.

Neymar wasn't bought because he was Brazilian, but because he was arguably the biggest talent in the world at the time and very marketable. Every big club was interested.

Douglas, as I said, may have been somehow connected to the Neymar deal, or may just have been due to Zubi not being any good at his job. This was the guy who thought signing Vermaelen was a good idea after all.

Home of Barca Fans