9 - Robert Lewandowski

KingLeo10

This fool comparing Dortmund as a league rival while playing on Bayern...versus competing versus Mourinho's RM, Ancelotti's RM, and ZZ's RM (16-18) with:

CR7, Benz, Bale, Ramos, Modric, Kroos, Bale, Pepe, Marcelo, Casillas, Navas, Casemiro, Alonso, Di Maria, Varane etc etc. Get the fuck out of here :lol:

Kul_z

When Messi moved to PSG, he already had:

4 CL,
10 LL,
1,100 G + A :lol:
6-7 Ballon D'Or

His primary objective was to win the WC, and a secondary objective was to add more CLs to his tally. He more than achieved his primary objective, and failed at the second one.

Lewa came to Barca to win a Ballon D'Or and big club trophies. Different expectations

Messi is at least 2 levels above Lewa at their best. Thinking otherwise is delusional. Lewa is top 25-50 player all time while Messi is the GOAT or even with the worst critics top 3 all time minimum
I can name 20 players from barcelona only who are better or ranked higher then lewa in all time debate. This choker better start delivering next season.

lucas24

You can't compare La Liga and Bundesliga when you are comparing the number of league titles won as you mentioned there's only 1 dominant team in the Bundesliga
Of course, I wrote that half in jest and half in earnest. Simple maths, if you play 10 seasons in a league with 2 title contenders you will win the league 5 times and in a league without rivals you will win it 10 times. This is a simplification, in reality the other teams have at least 20-30%.

This fool comparing Dortmund as a league rival while playing on Bayern...versus competing versus Mourinho's RM, Ancelotti's RM, and ZZ's RM (16-18) with:

CR7, Benz, Bale, Ramos, Modric, Kroos, Bale, Pepe, Marcelo, Casillas, Navas, Casemiro, Alonso, Di Maria, Varane etc etc. Get the fuck out of here :lol:
Honestly? IMO BVB was a bigger underdog against Bayern in the 10/11 and 11/12 seasons than Barca against Real in the period you mentioned. Lewandowski has won the Bundesliga twice with BVB. They beat Bayern in 2 out of 4 seasons and Bayern were stronger then than they are now (won the Champions League and were in the final the year before). The most objective way of judging who is the better league player would be a comparison of the number of league wins vs the odds that the bookmakers have given their clubs.
Like this:
sample.png

* Barcelona had exactly 25% chance of winning La Liga this season, the odds of Bayern/BVB winning the Bundesliga I averaged over 3 seasons. If I ever find a site with historical odds for both leagues, I'll do such a Lewadnowski vs Messi comparison. Probably nobody has a chance with Lewadnowski in this stat. Thanks to him, his clubs won 4 more titles than should.

Kul_z

Of course, I wrote that half in jest and half in earnest. Simple maths, if you play 10 seasons in a league with 2 title contenders you will win the league 5 times and in a league without rivals you will win it 10 times. This is a simplification, in reality the other teams have at least 20-30%.

Honestly? IMO BVB was a bigger underdog against Bayern in the 10/11 and 11/12 seasons than Barca against Real in the period you mentioned. Lewandowski has won the Bundesliga twice with BVB. They beat Bayern in 2 out of 4 seasons and Bayern were stronger then than they are now (won the Champions League and were in the final the year before). The most objective way of judging who is the better league player would be a comparison of the number of league wins vs the odds that the bookmakers have given their clubs.
Like this:
View attachment 9709

* Barcelona had exactly 25% chance of winning La Liga this season, the odds of Bayern/BVB winning the Bundesliga I averaged over 3 seasons. If I ever find a site with historical odds for both leagues, I'll do such a Lewadnowski vs Messi comparison. Probably nobody has a chance with Lewadnowski in this stat. Thanks to him, his clubs won 4 more titles than should.
While you search, try to dig deeper and see if barcelona % was high because of messi in the team by default, and calculate without him.

lucas24

Before Messi came Mcry didn't pass to Ney enough and after Messi especially this WC prep season Messi and Ney were performing better (a brilliant tiki taka duo) than Mcry so his slight drop in xg's a logical fallacy to criticize Messi. Of course Xavi won't dump Lewa, but I never wanted him here in the first place. Xavi wasted our levers and now we need a motivated Messi to obliterate gimpball. Never imagined we could reach such tragedy needed saving from.
Messi has always looked best as a false 9, with 2 fast, mobile strikers more of a wingers profile (Neymar, Suarez). At the World Cup in Qatar, Argentina also played this way. That's why I can't imagine how Xavi is going to play Leo and Lewandowski combined. Ibrahimovic and Messi could not play together and Lewa is a similar type of player to the Swede.

While you search, try to dig deeper and see if barcelona % was high because of messi in the team by default, and calculate without him.
This is LA LIGA click on "Standings" at top, "Forecast from" at the bottom and select 1 round. Then you have probabilities before the start of the season. Unfortunately, this site has only data from the 2016/2017 season. I need from the season in which Messi made his debut.
22/23: Real 39%, Barca 25%, Atletico 12%.
21/22: Barca 43%, Real 24%, Atletico 15%.
20/21: Barca 45%, Real 29%, Atletico 13%.

Messi = 20% :p

lucas24

Did you hit your head recently fam ?
I just don't see the point of listing Real players from seasons when Barca were on average favourites. In terms of winning the league, Messi has not had to face as difficult challenge as Lewy did with BVB. Why leave out 1/3 of Lewadnowski's career in Germany if we count all the league titles? I can understand liking some players and not others. But it's important to value also the ones we dislike.

I'm not a big fan of Lewadnowski, as he tends to perform poorly in the big games on the international stage. But I have to admit, when it comes to winning league titles, he is phenomenal. I didn't realise he was so good at it until this morning. I think you all underestimate the German league very much. No one gives Bayern the titles for free. A year ago, club from this "farmers league" - Eintracht Frankfurt won the Europa League and they eliminated Barca.

Kul_z

21/22: Barca 43%, Real 24%, Atletico 15%.

Messi = 20% :p
That site can shut itself down, calculation for that season without messi, reinforcements came in winter transfer window. They calculated that team with depay, coutinho, umtiti, lenglet have more chance to win then real madrid.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lucas24

That site can shut itself down, calculation for that season without messi, reinforcements came in winter transfer window. They calculated that team with depay, coutinho, umtiti, lenglet have more chance to win then real madrid.
Yeap, the odds of 21/22 are a bit strange. Impossible that the bookies thought Messi meant nothing to Barca (ridiculous 2%?). Maybe contract with PSG has not yet been finalised. That's why I compared current season with Messi's last. Site is great, have a look at it in the long term :p

Average odds over the last 7 years: Barca 45.14%, Real 33.43%, Atletico 9.43%.
La Liga winners: Barca 3, Real 3, Atletico 1.

Not bad.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans