2012-2013 : What is needed ?

Ash1899

He's a LB the same way Dani Alves is a RB.

Strange

Considering the last time Bale had a decent run at LB, he was plain atrocious and was dropped from the squad. He only broke into the squad after they shifted him to LW

Or maybe I am wrong and it was another player

Zachary

understand that there is more than just one style of playing football and just because teams don't play the 'barca way' it doesn't mean they are playing anti football

also learn how to adapt and have a plan b other than just constantly passing the ball around hoping for a break

amen !!!

Zachary

What is needed for Barca is a Plan 'B'. Every team that plays us KNOW we will have all the ball, so they will sit back and try to hit us on the break. Teams that play 4-4-2 and have the back 4 well-drilled and the midfield line close to them will be hard to break down. If they bring the back 4 in tight, then there is no space for the ball to go through the middle. They CAN keep a tight 4 because Barca will not get to the by-line and put in crosses for tall strikers to head in, because we dont have any!!. We dont score from headers, and we dont score from corners; this cuts down very much on scoring avenues for us.
We need a striker who is big and strong and good in the air so that we can use wide players and the pitch and stretch teams. I love the tiki taki, but it is expected and can be defended against. We had trouble all this season away from home against teams who parked the bus. If we dont play at out best/miss chances/Messi having an off game, teams can get at us.
I know Ibrahimovic was sposed to offer this to us, BUT he was never a Barca player. He is too much of a prima donna; he plays well in the first season for every team he plays for then tails off/ and doesnt score in the big games.
We need a quality CB, LB and Striker.

Few have managed to address the core of the problem the way you do. The tiki-taka basically expresses ideal football (possession, control, team play, beautiful "show") but by now it's become too predictable and manageable with a nice size bus, so the tiki-taka needs some fresh options or alternatives in order not to make it so easy for them to keep us from scoring. We have to stop wasting corners and, as you said, we have to get to the by-line and center to somebody who can do something with it (like a header). A world class team cannot be almost 100% deprived of air game (it would be 100% if it wasn't for Puyol and Pique) because it leaves too much money on the table. It is certainly one of the most significant adjustments that we can improve our attack with.

shockey80

Strange

Considering the last time Bale had a decent run at LB, he was plain atrocious and was dropped from the squad. He only broke into the squad after they shifted him to LW

Or maybe I am wrong and it was another player

Different team and different league. With Spurs, he is expected to be a much better defender at that spot because they dont have the ball as much. But with Barca, having the ball 75% of the time limits the need for a really good defensive player in that spot.

I'm not saying it is something I would do but I can see a logic behind it.

Gaines10

Buying Bale would be a massive disaster! I hope we don't go any where near him.

Yes he's a decent player but he wouldn't suit our style of play at all and would cost us a fortune.

Leave him were he is and buy Jordi Alba and spend the rest and a very good CB

hellsangel1

What is needed for Barca is a Plan 'B'. Every team that plays us KNOW we will have all the ball, so they will sit back and try to hit us on the break. Teams that play 4-4-2 and have the back 4 well-drilled and the midfield line close to them will be hard to break down. If they bring the back 4 in tight, then there is no space for the ball to go through the middle. They CAN keep a tight 4 because Barca will not get to the by-line and put in crosses for tall strikers to head in, because we dont have any!!. We dont score from headers, and we dont score from corners; this cuts down very much on scoring avenues for us.
We need a striker who is big and strong and good in the air so that we can use wide players and the pitch and stretch teams. I love the tiki taki, but it is expected and can be defended against. We had trouble all this season away from home against teams who parked the bus. If we dont play at out best/miss chances/Messi having an off game, teams can get at us.
I know Ibrahimovic was sposed to offer this to us, BUT he was never a Barca player. He is too much of a prima donna; he plays well in the first season for every team he plays for then tails off/ and doesnt score in the big games.
We need a quality CB, LB and Striker.

And yet Barca won everything with the plan 'A'.......but pep changed the formation and injuries (villa/abidal) + loss of form (pedro) contributed to our dissapointing season this year. I still think last year's Barca woul've beaten Chelsea easily and won la liga.

However,i do agree with large parts of your post and a need for plan 'B'

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
And yet Barca won everything with the plan 'A'.......but pep changed the formation and injuries (villa/abidal) + loss of form (pedro) contributed to our dissapointing season this year. I still think last year's Barca woul've beaten Chelsea easily and won la liga.

However,i do agree with large parts of your post and a need for plan 'B'
What 3 trophies and a possibility of making it 4.Champions league semi final almost in the final and La Liga probably 2nd place in whose book is it a disappointing season,there is no chance to win every trophy each year.

Ash1899

Different team and different league. With Spurs, he is expected to be a much better defender at that spot because they dont have the ball as much. But with Barca, having the ball 75% of the time limits the need for a really good defensive player in that spot.

I'm not saying it is something I would do but I can see a logic behind it.

Recent results say otherwise

No offense, but as good as a team Barca are, the moment their defense gets pressured - they crack

And Bale is not only a poor defender, he is a crap defender

Last edited:

Ash1899

What 3 trophies and a possibility of making it 4.Champions league semi final almost in the final and La Liga probably 2nd place in whose book is it a disappointing season,there is no chance to win every trophy each year.

You mean 3 mickeymouse trophies?

And of course finishing 2nd in La Liga is not good enough. Who else other than Madrid will give you competition?

Obviously it is a disappointing season for Barca. No one expects them to win everything every year but when you miss out on the two biggest ones the same season, it is a disappointing season. He would have been stretching it if he said it was a disastrous season

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
You mean 3 mickeymouse trophies?

And of course finishing 2nd in La Liga is not good enough. Who else other than Madrid will give you competition?

Obviously it is a disappointing season for Barca. No one expects them to win everything every year but when you miss out on the two biggest ones the same season, it is a disappointing season. He would have been stretching it if he said it was a disastrous season
3 mickeymouse trophies is the Club World Cup not a majpr trophy.
Its not been as successful as previous years but not bad at all.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
If tito is looking for strikers, it would be interesting to see if we will look for Hulk?
Rosell would certainly approve.

He'd help if Tito identified that we needed a plan B - Pass to Hulk, pulls back left foot from 20 yards out....*HULK SMASH!!!*

Not sure about his character though.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Rosell would certainly approve.

He'd certainly help if we needed a plan B - Pass to Hulk, pulls back left foot from 20 yards out....*HULK SMASH!!!*

Not sure about his character though.

I know nothing about Hulk's character, but I would never object for the potential to say HULK SMASH! after every goal.

Home of Barca Fans