10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
A good example of that we don't have a Messi-dependencia but that Messi also has a Barça-dependencia.
Argentina's midfield is whack, no creativity at all. Defense isn't that great either.

Yep... in Argentina, Messi don't have the aid of the midfield Barça players...

Emily

I think he deserved a goal but he has the future ahead of him so there's no reason for him to stress at all.. :thumbsup2:

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Yep... he has only 23 of age and a long, long carrear in front of him... maybe more 4 years and things could be different...

Barcafan 2304

Ah well, must be philosophical. as a positive thinking Cule, at least i dont have to watch him in an Argentina shirt now and cringe when he goes down under a challenge! Give him a good rest then see him rearing to go for Barca

zanela

Also Higuain wasted 3-4 good chances, the best one where he just coulda made a cut in pass to Tevez that was clear in front of goal.

What are these 3-4 good chances you speak of when Argentina failed to create even a decent chance in full 90? As for the one where he didn't square to Tevez, nothing to say it wouldn't 've been intercepted by the defender positioned in the latter's path. Besides, the entire team was guilty of bad decision making on the day. But ofc it's easier to blame the madrid player.

Hydro2oo9

Messi still deserves World player of the year award for what he did last season. He didn't have an amazing World Cup by all means, but he was far from a disaster. Along with Tevez and Masch, he was his countries best player and there is only so much you can do when you have a manager who is very poor tactically. Look at the line-up in midfield today for example, it offered nothing, meaning Messi was coming too deep(in his own half sometimes) trying to get the ball and make something happen. He wasn't fed in the right parts of the pitch to show his ultimate effectivness and that can't be blamed entirely on him. 2 wide men(Di Maria and Maxi) started with Masch basically in the centre of midfield on his own. Had Veron played, the team would have looked more balanced. Everytime Veron's played in this world cup, he has always tryed to get Messi on the ball, they linked up well and Messi was looking a threat. Maradona made bad decisions in todays line-up and in the 23 man squad he left out vital players. Every single little thing can't be pointed at Messi everytime a team he plays for loses. It's like they expect him to win every single game he ever plays in all on his own. Today we didn't see much of him, but he still tryed to make things happen to be fair to him and I noticed that he kept possession today more times than not and made a few nice passes. In the rest of the games in this tournament, it has been bad luck more than poor form in why he hasn't scored, especially in the group stages were he forced alot of good saves and hit the post a few times. Say he didn't hit the post these times or force a great performance out of the Nigerian keeper, his scoring tally would be looking very good right now. A little bad luck is all which left him short of goals if you ask me.

He cannot be compared to how Rooney or C.Ronaldo played, as they were awfull not just in front of goal, but in their allround play and neither of them looked interested when they played nor help their team get some good results together while they was in the tournament. Messi has a hand in over half of Argentinas goals which showed the importance he had to his side. He's not been player of the tournament by all means, but he's not been the ultimate flop that he is portrayed either.

But it's no big worry for him, the man walked into this world cup as a 22 year old(turning 23 while over there), the same age Maradona walked into World Cup 82(when Argentina went out in the 1/4 finals and Maradona was sent off), so he's still got time to improve on the international stage and still has 2 or 3 world cups left in him to prove himself at a much more mature age. Alot of players begin to shine in international competitions when they hit their mid to late 20's. Zidane even smashed it up at the age of 33 in 2006, so I'm confident Messi will shut the doubters up in the future, as he will have more oppurtunitys to make his mark.

Either way, the most important thing has always been that Messi made it through this tournament and came out of it alive and without injuries, ready for next season. Not being involved in the rest of the World Cup may be a blessing in discuise as we don't want him tired for the 2010/2011 do we? What he does on the field for Barcelona next season will be just the same as he has in the previous 2 seasons no doubt and I'm looking forward to seeing how he links up with Villa. I think the two will be absolutly phenominal and I'm looking forward to the new season already. I can't wait.

Messi still deserves World player of the year award for what he did last season. He didn't have an amazing World Cup by all means, but he was far from a disaster. Along with Tevez and Masch, he was his countries best player and there is only so much you can do when you have a manager who is very poor tactically. Look at the line-up in midfield today for example, it offered nothing, meaning Messi was coming too deep(in his own half sometimes) trying to get the ball and make something happen. He wasn't fed in the right parts of the pitch to show his ultimate effectivness and that can't be blamed entirely on him. 2 wide men(Di Maria and Maxi) started with Masch basically in the centre of midfield on his own. Had Veron played, the team would have looked more balanced. Everytime Veron's played in this world cup, he has always tryed to get Messi on the ball, they linked up well and Messi was looking a threat. Maradona made bad decisions in todays line-up and in the 23 man squad he left out vital players. Every single little thing can't be pointed at Messi everytime a team he plays for loses. It's like they expect him to win every single game he ever plays in all on his own. Today we didn't see much of him, but he still tryed to make things happen to be fair to him and I noticed that he kept possession today more times than not and made a few nice passes. In the rest of the games in this tournament, it has been bad luck more than poor form in why he hasn't scored, especially in the group stages were he forced alot of good saves and hit the post a few times. Say he didn't hit the post these times or force a great performance out of the Nigerian keeper, his scoring tally would be looking very good right now. A little bad luck is all which left him short of goals if you ask me.

He cannot be compared to how Rooney or C.Ronaldo played, as they were awfull not just in front of goal, but in their allround play and neither of them looked interested when they played nor help their team get some good results together while they was in the tournament. Messi has a hand in over half of Argentinas goals which showed the importance he had to his side. He's not been player of the tournament by all means, but he's not been the ultimate flop that he is portrayed either.

But it's no big worry for him, the man walked into this world cup as a 22 year old(turning 23 while over there), the same age Maradona walked into World Cup 82(when Argentina went out in the 1/4 finals and Maradona was sent off), so he's still got time to improve on the international stage and still has 2 or 3 world cups left in him to prove himself at a much more mature age. Alot of players begin to shine in international competitions when they hit their mid to late 20's. Zidane even smashed it up at the age of 33 in 2006, so I'm confident Messi will shut the doubters up in the future, as he will have more oppurtunitys to make his mark.

Either way, the most important thing has always been that Messi made it through this tournament and came out of it alive and without injuries, ready for next season. Not being involved in the rest of the World Cup may be a blessing in discuise as we don't want him tired for the 2010/2011 do we? What he does on the field for Barcelona next season will be just the same as he has in the previous 2 seasons no doubt and I'm looking forward to seeing how he links up with Villa. I think the two will be absolutly phenominal and I'm looking forward to the new season already. I can't wait.

im a big messi fan but he dosent deserve being crowned player of the year although he has a good la liga season the person who has a good world cup and is at top form and lead there country to world up glory should be player of the year to be honest and messi was far from being dominate in this world cup if spain wins it it will be david villa if it is holland then it will be wesley especially since he won the treble with inter.

ryuken

Portugal played like shiet in 2008 and CR still got it so why not Messi. It is based on many factors not just the WC alone. With your logic i think Torres should have won it in 2008 cuz he scored the winning goal for Spain pff.

XaviMessiGirl

Yup, Torres was robbed of course :lol:

Anyway I think PotY will go to either Messi or Villa, if Spain win the WC it will be a tough call.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
im a big messi fan but he dosent deserve being crowned player of the year although he has a good la liga season the person who has a good world cup and is at top form and lead there country to world up glory should be player of the year to be honest and messi was far from being dominate in this world cup if spain wins it it will be david villa if it is holland then it will be wesley especially since he won the treble with inter.

so 7 matches takes away the work in 45 plus? he still scored 47 goles ya know

XaviMessiGirl

It isn't his fault that Argentina got eliminated. Anyone who understands the game knows this.

Yet another fall of the mighty as Lionel Messi joins Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery in hardly turning up this World Cup. The best player in the world failed to score all tournament and barely contributed in the 4-0 defeat to Germany.

Eurosport... unlike the others mentioned, Messi set up so much, just because he didn't score doesn't mean he wasn't pivotal in Argentina's wins. Yes he was majorly off form today but he was sick, don't blame the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans