14 - Javier Mascherano

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
No Busquets left few options, why the team needs a better DM to rotate with him. But overall, no one can replace Busquets

Roberto is far better than Mascherano as DM.

If not for Iniesta and Arda both being out on top of Busquets, Sergi would have played DM and would have probably impressed as that's the first position he really step up into last season before becoming the joker this season.

Problem was too many midfield absents.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
If not for Iniesta and Arda both being out on top of Busquets, Sergi would have played DM and would have probably impressed as that's the first position he really step up into last season before becoming the joker this season.

Problem was too many midfield absents.

My line of of reasoning, I agree. But problem with Busi's position is that Busi is very rarely injured or needs a rest, bringing in a backup is difficult. The DM spot is very important in Barca, we can't have a half assed backup for the DM - we might as well play our own players like Raki, SR or even Samper there instead.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
My line of of reasoning, I agree. But problem with Busi's position is that Busi is very rarely injured or needs a rest, bringing in a backup is difficult. The DM spot is very important in Barca, we can't have a half assed backup for the DM - we might as well play our own players like Raki, SR or even Samper there instead.

Not sure we're saying the same thing mate, I'm saying Sergi Roberto is a very valid backup for Busi, or at least that's my recollection of his performances there last season.

xXKonan

I think the Midfield in the first half would've functioned a little better if Roberto and Masche switched places.

I've said it in the Roberto topic awhile ago He's the closest we have to someone who can play the "Barca DM" role or as you say the Busi role. I mean no one can be like Busi but Roberto's Distribution,passing,Positioning and being able to keep things fluid fit's the DM spot in this team than Mascherano.

Their's also Samper but at the moment he's not ready to play in Busi's role in a Match vs Bilbao's High pressing system. So at the moment the one who fits the Busi Role the closest is Roberto when Busi isn't playing.

This isn't no jab at Mascherano as his Skill Set at DM is suited for a lot of teams but Barcelona's it's different and he fits the CB role than DM for us.

Alik

Yeah, we were just unlucky with having all of Busquets, Iniesta and Arda, unavailable. Because otherwise Sergi would have started at DM for sure, as that is the position to which he is the primary back up to now.

God Serena

Yeah, we were just unlucky with having all of Busquets, Iniesta and Arda, unavailable. Because otherwise Sergi would have started at DM for sure, as that is the position to which he is the primary back up to now.

We're also unlucky not to have Rafinha.

Never forget. =(

Jombi

I think the Midfield in the first half would've functioned a little better if Roberto and Masche switched places.

I've said it in the Roberto topic awhile ago He's the closest we have to someone who can play the "Barca DM" role or as you say the Busi role. I mean no one can be like Busi but Roberto's Distribution,passing,Positioning and being able to keep things fluid fit's the DM spot in this team than Mascherano.

Their's also Samper but at the moment he's not ready to play in Busi's role in a Match vs Bilbao's High pressing system. So at the moment the one who fits the Busi Role the closest is Roberto when Busi isn't playing.

This isn't no jab at Mascherano as his Skill Set at DM is suited for a lot of teams but Barcelona's it's different and he fits the CB role than DM for us.

I agree with this. And I think you're right it would have been better to switch Roberto's and Masche's places. The DM position is so incredibly important for our team and midfield to function properly, to switch from defense to attack, keep possession, generate composure etc.

Home of Barca Fans