Rafael Márquez

beef-supreme

Yes definitely, if I were in a position to determine Barcelona transfers it would be a very simple procedure:

Out
Marquez
Hleb
Caceres - but only cause he doesn't want to come back
Henry (with a tearful eye)

In
Fabregas
Azpilicueta (though i haven't really looked into many RB options but i'd like a young Spanish one)

Loan recall
Botia

And then I'd start investigating whether the Pedro, Ibra, Bojan, Messi and Iniesta are enough to share the forward roles or if it's best to bring in someone else maybe.

Co0ter

Not a coincidence that we conceded two once he was subbed. The first goal was mostly his fault although Valdes' positioning could of been better; he was too close to his nearpost. The second goal you can't blame on him but in general the defense just looks horrible in general when he's in and thats exactly what it looked like when we conceded the second goal- horrible. Can't be coincidence...we were pretty solid defensively the entire rest of the game. Not getting all that much playing time has to do with when he got a few games in a row he epic failed MULTIPLE times in every game- he hasn't been getting time since b/c of that. And that's no excuse either way- Milito was out for a year and a half and he's been a freaking stud ever since he got back.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I blame Pep first of all, switching CBs in the middle of the game is just plain stupid.

I just think Rafa is broken down, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets injured in the World Cup and is forced to retire.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I blame Pep first of all, switching CBs in the middle of the game is just plain stupid.

yeah I agree.

switch one, sure, but not both IN CONJUNCTION with taking out yaya.

individually they were all alright subs but combined it just disjointed the back-line.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
yeah I agree.

switch one, sure, but not both IN CONJUNCTION with taking out yaya.

individually they were all alright subs but combined it just disjointed the back-line.

The fact that a central midfielder and both CBs were taken out within a 10 minute timespan was just asking for it; even a more reliable defender would have been disorientated at that point and in the case of the second goal it was clearly a case of nobody knowing their assignment.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
nolan was optimistic about rafa for much (much) much (much much) much longer than anyone else. trust me when I say he has not given up on el mariachi lightly.

Marquez has cemented his place in Barcelona history already, but the sad thing is to think about how good he could have been if he wasn't so fragile.

I seriously don't think he could pass even the most liberal medical right now, except for maybe 2, 3 games this season he has looked broken beyond repair. You never know what will happen but he doesn't seem to have control over his body anymore.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Marquez has cemented his place in Barcelona history already, but the sad thing is to think about how good he could have been if he wasn't so fragile.

I seriously don't think he could pass even the most liberal medical right now, except for maybe 2, 3 games this season he has looked broken beyond repair. You never know what will happen but he doesn't seem to have control over his body anymore.

well we've discussed this before but he fell apart mentally after the 2006 world cup.

his performances in 05/06, dealing with beasts like drogba and colts like henry, were just textbooks on how to be a top-class defender. and considering he wasn't blessed with height OR pace... I mean he was incredible.

but that maxi goal broke his heart (he was so good in that game). and then he had the marital problems. and then his body started breaking.

I know I've been probably his fiercest critic but I was such a huge rafa fanboy that my rage was mostly out of sheer disappointment because of how good he was.

he's been a great player for barca and has deffo cemented his legendary status at the club, but it's so sad to see him go down with such a whimper.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
well we've discussed this before but he fell apart mentally after the 2006 world cup.

his performances in 05/06, dealing with beasts like drogba and colts like henry, were just textbooks on how to be a top-class defender. and considering he wasn't blessed with height OR pace... I mean he was incredible.

but that maxi goal broke his heart (he was so good in that game). and then he had the marital problems. and then his body started breaking.

I know I've been probably his fiercest critic but I was such a huge rafa fanboy that my rage was mostly out of sheer disappointment because of how good he was.

he's been a great player for barca and has deffo cemented his legendary status at the club, but it's so sad to see him go down with such a whimper.

He did more good than bad last season. Right now I just hope he works for the club in some aspect someday.

Leroy

Brown
Watch the first goal again. Rafa messed up but Valdes's positioning was bad.

Valdes always positions himself there with those type of chances. By doing so he forces the attacker to take a shot to the far post, it's just that usually he is ready and saves them. If you look closely you can see him getting ready to dive twice before the shot, he just didn't expect the shot to come as late as it did. Both of his goals were great finishes.

Home of Barca Fans