Trance or House?

Trance or House?

• Total voters

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Trance all the way for me...

Trance is more deep, spiritual, overwhelming and captivating IMO... It also makes you feel like you're high more than House :lol:
House is a bit too 'dry' for me...

That is if I got the genre right of course :lol:

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Trance was fun back around '98 - 2003. The current line of trance is way too simple and it's actually quite noticeable that artists like AVB, Tiesto, Above & Beyond, Oakenfold etc. have realised its market potential. I do prefer trance from the 90's era, when it was still good and enjoyable. The genre in itself got whacky after it got hit by the crazy wave with the Dutch and UK folk turning it into a money cow. The artists that did the trick, at least for me, were Art of Trance, Vana Imago, Union Jack, Lovechild and early Paul Van Dyk's.

[youtube]qeLREu_fW_E[/youtube]

[youtube]9AcodooSr9A[/youtube]

[youtube]9RG5cX1ovSA[/youtube]

Electro is still one of my favourite genres. I strongly disagree with Nolan and Jat, that it's bad cos of hipsters digging the hell out of it. Actually, if being completely honest, current generation of "hipsters" have no clue of what real electro is. They seem to think that electro was born along the same time Justice started producing and releasing things. That's actually more of going back to the old French filter-house roots, established by Daft Punk, Tomas Bangalter et al.

For me electro is something that was born around 1980's with early tracks by Afrika Bambaata, Arabian Prince, The Egyptian Lover and Professor X. The pioneers, of course, were the Kraftwerk, but the sound in itself got substantially redefined in the 80's. It involves great amounts of TR-808 patterns, distant 707 claps, vocoders and a good breakbeat on the background.

It did evolve in the 90's into a more techy genre, due to the evolution of hardware and then current trends, and got refined along the way splitting into various subgenres like electro breaks, electroclash, electro etc. My favourites are the more techy electro sound of late 90's early 2000s, and of course the good old 80's sound.

These are some of the tunes I perceive as electro to give you lot a more of a better picture of what I'm on about beginning with a few samples from the 80's.

[youtube]Cj2BvyeB9xk[/youtube]

[youtube]7E8y57fcE2k[/youtube]

[youtube]9lDCYjb8RHk[/youtube]

And now a few clips from the 90's - 00's.

[youtube]QFE9LM7yxbg[/youtube]

[youtube]gD5NF2WXaJM[/youtube]

[youtube]L_RFatUs1hk[/youtube]

Not really keen on getting into the House debate, as there are way too many subgenres in it. Just going to say that deep house, detroit and chicago do it for me.

Edit: I lied. I actually hate the current electro house genre from the depths of my soul. It's like electroclash, but instead of sounding decent even for a second it comes out as a bastard cousin of electroclash. Disgusting stuff.

House needs to be soulful, the way guys like Larry Levan and Dave Mancuso had it spinning during the Paradise Garage era. House needs to have some depth in it.

Hed Kandi house is a bloody joke. It's once again one of those "let's remix an old boogie/disco tune with just adding a 909 on the back and maybe timestretching the vocals a bit". 95% of the stuff is utter dirt, because it just sounds so cheap without putting a single effort into it.

THIS: [youtube]wkg_2Wrhnfc[/youtube]

Interesting thing is that most of the house got born out of disco and boogie, but there are actually people who knew and currently know how to add their own flavour into it, without destroying the track with their yearning for a quick cash flow.

Last edited:

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
Wow Plip, great post have to admit. And great choise of trance, didint know many knew vana for example :) I also agree about the evolution, current house which is mostly retro remixes and nothing more... Too comercial for my taste, excluding some tracks... Oh well, money comes from that, so i can understand the DJs...

im not into electro thing though..

E

estranged

Trance...Markus Schulz is the best current trance DJ his radio show rocks

Povikas

Brandon
both are great for fistpumping, but i prefer house because of the fact it's a lot simpler and doesn't get annoying after 4min of looping the same layers.

XaviMessiGirl

haha, I looked at that guide that was posted a few pages back and it's STILL confusing. :( I listen to a lot of electronic music but I never really pay attention or care about which subgenre it is, if it sounds good to me I'll listen to it, that's all. I know a lot more about metal subgenres.

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
Hardstyle please.

If I have to choose: House.

Axwell, Avicii > trance.

Btw Plip, respect for posting Lovechild - Liberta. That's an awesome track.

Trequartista

The good
Hardstyle please.

If I have to choose: House.

Axwell, Avicii > trance.

Btw Plip, respect for posting Lovechild - Liberta. That's an awesome track.

Tim Berg. is a legend I agree,one of the best DJs around
dont like Axwell that much though or probably didnt see enough

Home of Barca Fans