Samuel Umtiti

God Serena

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Umtiti continues to perform while Mascherano is out. Do people ignore the double standard and demand Mascherano get his starting place back, or does he "earn" it with performances on the pitch? And if he has to earn it back, just how well will he need to play, and how poorly will Umtiti have to be performing at the same time?

Trickykid

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Umtiti continues to perform while Mascherano is out. Do people ignore the double standard and demand Mascherano get his starting place back, or does he "earn" it with performances on the pitch? And if he has to earn it back, just how well will he need to play, and how poorly will Umtiti have to be performing at the same time?

I think Masch has his spot secured for most of the season, no matter his or Umtiti's performances (more or less of course). His presence in the team is too valuable and easily transcends basic defending skills such as tackling, heading, positioning and so on.

I think the plan is for Umtiti to learn and adapt this season, and of course play as much a possible, and then be ready for a starter role during next season.

Besides, Masch is already back in training, so Umtiti won't have that large a window to impress.

xXKonan

MD reported awhile back if Umtiti, adapted quicky you will see a lot of Mascherano in the midfield.

I know a lot of us don't like the idea of Masche as a pivot here since his skill set is a lot different compared to Busi and even Roberto's. but it sounded like Lucho going by that article I read wanted to grant Mascherano's wishes of playing a lot more in the Midfield than just him only playing CB.

Trickykid

MD reported awhile back if Umtiti, adapted quicky you will see a lot of Mascherano in the midfield.

I know a lot of us don't like the idea of Masche as a pivot here since his skill set is a lot different compared to Busi and even Roberto's. but it sounded like Lucho going by that article I read wanted to grant Mascherano's wishes of playing a lot more in the Midfield than just him only playing CB.

It makes no sense whatsoever to suddenly start playing him as a pivot this late in his career.

xXKonan

It makes no sense whatsoever to suddenly start playing him as a pivot this late in his career.
Just reporting what I read from MD.

Umtiti if he keeps impressing and adapting it will be a tough one to keep him sitting on the bench a lot. Which is I think MD speculated that Lucho, will likely use Mascherano a bit more as a DM to cover for Busi again.

Trickykid

Umtiti if he keeps impressing and adapting it will be a tough one to keep him sitting on the bench a lot. Which is I think MD speculated that Lucho, will likely use Mascherano a bit more as a DM to cover for Busi again.

Yeah, I know. It just doesn't make sense in my world to do it now, especially not if it's just some sort of contractual stunt.

God Serena

But we have Samper who, as of now, is still part of the squad and is a much more Barca DM for obvious reasons. He's already going to struggle for minutes, it makes more sense to just have Masche and Umtiti rotate and leave the midfield alone.

F

Flavia

Bob is the starter rb now, so who will give Busi rest? Guess Masch can play there eventually, against lesser oposition. It's better than playing Vidal instead of Bob, no?

But we have Samper who, as of now, is still part of the squad and is a much more Barca DM for obvious reasons. He's already going to struggle for minutes, it makes more sense to just have Masche and Umtiti rotate and leave the midfield alone.

Samper is likely leaving on loan.

Trickykid

Bob is the starter rb now, so who will give Busi rest? Guess Masch can play there eventually, against lesser oposition. It's better than playing Vidal instead of Bob, no?

That's true.
However - this is just speculation on my part - perhaps Lucho sees slotting Gomes into the DM spot as a way of giving him minutes in a pretty congested midfield. As far as I recall, he played very deep at times in the Super Copa, which could hint to this being the case.

F

Flavia

That's true.
However - this is just speculation on my part - perhaps Lucho sees slotting Gomes into the DM spot as a way of giving him minutes in a pretty congested midfield. As far as I recall, he played very deep at times in the Super Copa, which could hint to this being the case.

True, forgot about him. Guess we'll see. maybe this will all happen, if Lucho starts rotating like he did in 14/15.

Messi983

I think this whole Masche playing as DM idea is more for the games we have a 2+ goals lead in second half and Lucho decides to give Busquets some rest so he sub on Umtiti or Mathieu for him and move Masche in midfield. I doubt that he'll start a lot of games there. In easier home games when Busquets will be rested I believe Roberto will play DM with Vidal at RB.

Alarcón

Sorry for Mascherano but Umtiti is a 10 times better defender than him. Soon as Masche enters the pitch the stupid fouls start again and the last one almost cost us a goal.

JamDav1982

Sorry for Mascherano but Umtiti is a 10 times better defender than him. Soon as Masche enters the pitch the stupid fouls start again and the last one almost cost us a goal.

Eh?

Umtiti was poor and constantly dragged out of position and got sucked into challenges.

On top of that Masch passing is in a different league.

Home of Barca Fans