Samuel Umtiti

khaled_a_d

No one to blame but ourselves. When renewed in 2018, it should have been conditional to getting knee surgery.

iirc club didn't recommend surgery until after the wc, which was few months after his renewal.
And as much I hate what happened to him, we have absolutely no right to force him to surgery especially considering it could have effect on his long term health.
tbh, I doubt that even a surgery would fix him.

Porque

I think Umtiti was persisting in delaying surgery to be able to play the world cup. Something that I don't see an issue with as the window of winning the world cup is small.

Looking at Transfermarkt he missed the last few games of 17/18 season with the knee injury that plagued him in the subsequent season.

The big issue was Umtiti didn't take the surgery after the world cup instead tried to play through it, aggravating it and leading to the mammoth absence of games these past few seasons.

Would it be wrong for the club to insist on surgery before renewing (because I believe they recommended it) the player to take time off before the issue gets worse? I am not so sure, we are a performance business afterall and health is requisite of this.

Of course it is easier for me to say in hindsight, perhaps Umtiti didn't have confidence in our medical staffs recommendations and given their failures, and wanted to take an alternative route through his recommendations. You couldn't blame him on that account entirely.

So there are definitely two sides, but from the my persective you just can't put such a big investment into a player that has a big issue which looks like it will develop worse if untreated. Because this is what happens. But we have made this kind of injury oversite almost customery back from signing Milito, Vermaelen to the judgement on Umtiti.

From a clubs stance, if a player does not want to take the route that your research shows is the best for the teams future, then you got to sell and re-invest.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Sport claims Lazio, Roma and Torino are interested in Umtiti.

If the rumors are true I wouldn't be surprised if he thought of himself to be above those types of clubs so he wouldn't move.

Seems unlikely, especially considering his current salary. PL is probably the only hope but i also don't see that tbh, probably stays or get's send on loan somewhere.

What happened to Umtiti is so bad for the squad, dude is 26 and should be in his prime right now but instead he can barely run these days

JohnN

But he can't expect to maintain such a high salary with almost no game time, recurring injuries and bad performances.. Salary should be relevant to a player's current level too, and not only his past glories.

Messi983

I think Umtiti was persisting in delaying surgery to be able to play the world cup. Something that I don't see an issue with as the window of winning the world cup is small.

Looking at Transfermarkt he missed the last few games of 17/18 season with the knee injury that plagued him in the subsequent season.

The big issue was Umtiti didn't take the surgery after the world cup instead tried to play through it, aggravating it and leading to the mammoth absence of games these past few seasons.

Would it be wrong for the club to insist on surgery before renewing (because I believe they recommended it) the player to take time off before the issue gets worse? I am not so sure, we are a performance business afterall and health is requisite of this.

Of course it is easier for me to say in hindsight, perhaps Umtiti didn't have confidence in our medical staffs recommendations and given their failures, and wanted to take an alternative route through his recommendations. You couldn't blame him on that account entirely.

So there are definitely two sides, but from the my persective you just can't put such a big investment into a player that has a big issue which looks like it will develop worse if untreated. Because this is what happens. But we have made this kind of injury oversite almost customery back from signing Milito, Vermaelen to the judgement on Umtiti.

From a clubs stance, if a player does not want to take the route that your research shows is the best for the teams future, then you got to sell and re-invest.

We were in no position to make such demands from Umtiti at that time. He had a 60m buy out clause that other clubs were willing to pay and we were affraid to lose him. In hindsight would obviously be much better to take that money instead of renewing him but at that time he was just 24 and considered as a future leader of our defense. Nobody could really expect the things to turn out the worst possible way for the club. At least from his personal perspective he has won the World Cup but that has ruined the rest of his career.

Messi983

But he can't expect to maintain such a high salary with almost no game time, recurring injuries and bad performances.. Salary should be relevant to a player's current level too, and not only his past glories.

Salaries here are almost never correlated to players's current level. They are either:

1. given on what the player's expected role in the team will be. So if you expect a player to be a starter at the time of the signing and then he fails for whatever reason he'll stay on the same wages for the duration of his contract unless the club somehow manage to get rid off him. And while there is no official correlation between transfer fees and salaries we can be absolutely sure that agents are using high fees we're paying in recent years to negotiate better wages for their players. You just don't pay 100m for a player and then give him only 4m yearly wages.

And probably even bigger problem is we also don't give 30-40m players 2-4m wages like most other top clubs but rather 5-7m. And then in 2-3 years for a few players who actually succeed wages will go up to 8-10m but we have problems to offload those who don't reach expectations of the club. Dealing with the wage scale problems should be among the priorities of a new board. I don't have problems paying key players the same as they would get in other big clubs (as long as they perform) but there is no reason to pay our squad players two times as much as they would get elsewhere. And this is where we should start imo. Top of the salary scale should reset it on his own with Messi and Co. eventually leaving.

Surely most of the big earners will be gone in a few years so this will free up a lot of money but we can't continue to give out expected backup/squad players higher salaries just to lure them here. They should be given lower initial wages with a promise of renovation in 2-3 years if they prove themselves. With many veterans leaving in next 3 years there will be a lot of open spots in the team and we should use having a chance to compete for a starting spot/replace those once great players as an initiative to get younger players to the club instead of just throwing the most money at them. Surely we might lose some good players that way but I prefer to get players who actually want to play for the club and they will be also extra motivated to earn their next big contract at the club. But if you start with giving out 10m yearly wages to players in their early twenties you can't expect them to stay motivated longterm.

2. renewing contracts for key players is usually done at the time when they are at their best so it's obvious they demand higher wages and the club give it to them to keep them around. Which is all good as long as they stay fit and relatively close to their past level. But when they start to underperform on high wages the club is just stuck with them. And we have quite a lot of those right now on the books. As I've said before I think our biggest mistakes in the last 2-3 years were not signing Dembele or Coutinho (they were overpaid but both considered reasonable signings at the time) but renewing contracts of the likes of Busi and Alba for 5 years when they were already close to 30 and signs of decline were already visible.

Last edited:

wisconsincule

Umtiti OUT, Garcia IN. I don’t even know really what Garcia’s quality is but Umtiti is clearly finished. Garcia can step in and be 3rd CB. Learn from Pique and hopefully take over from him in a year or two.

JohnN

Salaries here are almost never correlated to players's current level. They are either:

1. given on what the player's expected role in the team will be. So if you expect a player to be a starter at the time of the signing and then he fails for whatever reason he'll stay on the same wages for the duration of his contract unless the club somehow manage to get rid off him. And while there is no official correlation between transfer fees and salaries we can be absolutely sure that agents are using high fees we're paying in recent years to negotiate better wages for their players. You just don't pay 100m for a player and then give him only 4m yearly wages.

And probably even bigger problem is we also don't give 30-40m players 2-4m wages like most other top clubs but rather 5-7m. And then in 2-3 years for a few players who actually succeed wages will go up to 8-10m but we have problems to offload those who don't reach expectations of the club. Dealing with the wage scale problems should be among the priorities of a new board. I don't have problems paying key players the same as they would get in other big clubs (as long as they perform) but there is no reason to pay our squad players two times as much as they would get elsewhere. And this is where we should start imo. Top of the salary scale should reset it on his own with Messi and Co. eventually leaving.

Surely most of the big earners will be gone in a few years so this will free up a lot of money but we can't continue to give out expected backup/squad players higher salaries just to lure them here. They should be given lower initial wages with a promise of renovation in 2-3 years if they prove themselves. With many veterans leaving in next 3 years there will be a lot of open spots in the team and we should use having a chance to compete for a starting spot/replace those once great players as an initiative to get younger players to the club instead of just throwing the most money at them. Surely we might lose some good players that way but I prefer to get players who actually want to play for the club and they will be also extra motivated to earn their next big contract at the club. But if you start with giving out 10m yearly wages to players in their early twenties you can't expect them to stay motivated longterm.

2. renewing contracts for key players is usually done at the time when they are at their best so it's obvious they demand higher wages and the club give it to them to keep them around. Which is all good as long as they stay fit and relatively close to their past level. But when they start to underperform on high wages the club is just stuck with them. And we have quite a lot of those right now on the books. As I've said before I think our biggest mistakes in the last 2-3 years were not signing Dembele or Coutinho (they were overpaid but both considered reasonable signings at the time) but renewing contracts of the likes of Busi and Alba for 5 years when they were already close to 30 and signs of decline were already visible.

Those renewals, and the contracts' duration most of all, are plain stupid.
On the wage issue, I understand all that. I am talking about the players expectations.
If the club informs him he is never ever going to play again, for the remaining years, he has two options.

1. Stay and collect his paycheck. After the contract expires there will be no top (or even mid-top) team that wants him. So his next salary will be really low (even 80% lower than now as he will be viewed as a free rider).
2. Try to find a club that covers even a 50% of his current wage and go there to play some football.

He cannot expect to earn as much as he does now.

Tackle

Umtiti is unwilling to leave Barcelona this summer and is completely focused on recovering from his injury. [md]

:facepalm:

Same story with every crocked, finished player at this club.

serghei

Umtiti is unwilling to leave Barcelona this summer and is completely focused on recovering from his injury. [md]

:facepalm:

Same story with every crocked, finished player at this club.

That's what happens when you hand out extensions with salary raises like it's nothing. We have the highest wage bill in the world and we're not even top 4 in Europe atm.

Home of Barca Fans