Romelu Lukaku

Adversus

Its big news for a fairly meh striker lol.

I'm surprised he signed for Mourinho seeing as it was Mou that told him to get out at Chelsea.

He didn't. Lukaku wanted to leave both times because he wanted game time. The first time Everton actually contacted Chelsea because they thought they could loan Demba Ba and were offered Lukaku instead. The 2nd time Lukaku insisted on coming back to Everton because he wanted to be first choice and we were fantastic in his first year. Mourinho even was the first to phone him and congratulate him on the move. Lukaku said he was grateful to Mourinho for allowing him to leave and had great respect for him as well because of the phone call.

There's no bad blood there. Lukaku is just an incredibly ambitious player who puts his career first above all else. As we soon found out.

But no problem with that. I wish him the best and look forward to him tearing up the champions league next season and I'm also glad you lot will get to see more of him. I think he will change your minds.

JamDav1982

Mourinho said at time Lukaku left that he didnt have the mentality to be a Chelsea player and they let him go without a buy back clause.

It was fairly clear at the time that Mourinho did not rate him highly and was happy to see him leave.

Martindn

Lukaku being the 2nd most expensive player in history really shows how stupid the PL money has got. this is an average striker with the first touch of a donkey.. .

Kyle walker is about to be bought for £50 million. Swansea are turning down £45 million bids for Sigurdsson, Everton are a decent club at the best of times but now they have rich owners too. In the context of how much money is floating about now he is a pretty good deal hes not a world beater but he is certainly a great PL striker that suits Mourinho and is better than the alternatives.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not a fan of Lukaku, but he's like 23 years old too.

It's still a lot of money, but Man Utd could have him for the next decade. When you look at it that way, it's not that bad.

Would have been worse if he was 28 years old or if he was towards the end of his prime.

springfield

He scored alot already for his age, in the PL. Not everyone is convinced because he lacks some skills and not the best attitude on the pitch or just not smart enough. We will see, or he has a great season or he will be a flop I think.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The not smart enough thing is really overblown I think usually on players this physical. I think he's a smart footballer. What seem to let him down is perhaps him giving up too early, not having the correct attitude at times and his first touch occasionally.

Adversus

Mourinho said at time Lukaku left that he didnt have the mentality to be a Chelsea player and they let him go without a buy back clause.

It was fairly clear at the time that Mourinho did not rate him highly and was happy to see him leave.
Do you think Everton would pay 28m for a player with a buyback clause?

He didn't have the mentality of someone who sits in the bench and he's right but there's certainly nothing wrong with that. It's the same reason we have been able to get Sandro who also I hate to say it probably sees us as a stepping stone given the length of contract he signed.

Adversus

The not smart enough thing is really overblown I think usually on players this physical. I think he's a smart footballer. What seem to let him down is perhaps him giving up too early, not having the correct attitude at times and his first touch occasionally.

He speaks 5 languages and always struck me as being very smart.

I honestly don't think he has a weakness except perhaps his first touch. Utd have got a bargain. Most lethal finisher since Lineker and if Jose can improve his game (Koeman already has) he could be a cross between Drogba and Lineker which is frightening.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Do you think Everton would pay 28m for a player with a buyback clause?

He didn't have the mentality of someone who sits in the bench and he's right but there's certainly nothing wrong with that. It's the same reason we have been able to get Sandro who also I hate to say it probably sees us as a stepping stone given the length of contract he signed.

Chelsea could have insisted on a buy back clause or deal doesnt get made whether Everton want it or not.

The mentality part was about Mourinho hinting he didnt have the desire to fight for his place in the team and him and Lukaku went back and forth with a few barbed comments.

Mourinho clearly didnt rate him all that highly at that point.

Adversus

Chelsea could have insisted on a buy back clause or deal doesnt get made whether Everton want it or not.

The mentality part was about Mourinho hinting he didnt have the desire to fight for his place in the team and him and Lukaku went back and forth with a few barbed comments.

Mourinho clearly didnt rate him all that highly at that point.
The player wanted to leave to a specific club. Look at Deulofeu. We only paid 4m for him. Jose probably wanted the transfer money for that summer not an option in a few years when he may not be there and given what happened he was right.

Whether he rated him or not is speculation. What is relevant is he certainly does now.

springfield

He speaks 5 languages and always struck me as being very smart.

Smart in footballing way, not intelligent.

He had a small tv show when he was still at Anderlecht and they followed him going to school, he's not that intelligent. And in Belgium we learn French from age 10 (in Dutch schools) and English from age 12. And depending on what you are following you also get German. So speaking 5 languages is not that spectacular. And lukaku was raised with the Dutch and French language.

Home of Barca Fans