Ibrahim Afellay

kaisers0ze

Actually, I think Afellay is one of the few Moroccans in the Netherlands who is popular among the ethnic Dutch ...any Dutch football fan I know likes Afellay, really. I feel like people are fond of him, because of his exciting way of playing.

Ah maybe I'm surrounded by dutchies who feel quite the opposite about him.

But, when you read comments on fora's and newssites on these guy, its rarely positive, even when he gives superb performance. But also here, i could be visiting the wrong websites (maybe sites with mostly supporters of other clubs whom are anti PSV).

Still you have to agree that my remark on this wasnt far fetched when it would be about another Moroccan celeb. I dont say its wrong or right, just seeing things as they are.

desoe

@ this video - the moment after 2.00 was his best. The way he ran across the whole pitch to provide an option on the wing to Bojan, I mean - how Ray said, this overlapping was just spectacular. Good job yesterday. We were talking that we're going to use him as a winger, but last evening he looked like a white Keita to me in terms of work rate.

Mocro

Ah maybe I'm surrounded by dutchies who feel quite the opposite about him.

But, when you read comments on fora's and newssites on these guy, its rarely positive, even when he gives superb performance. But also here, i could be visiting the wrong websites (maybe sites with mostly supporters of other clubs whom are anti PSV).

Still you have to agree that my remark on this wasnt far fetched when it would be about another Moroccan celeb. I dont say its wrong or right, just seeing things as they are.

I don't think its a 'dutch' thing. Iv noticed that especially Ajaxsupporters don't like him, because of the rivalry with PSV. He gets a lot of support when playing for the Dutch squad. Not once have I seen the spectators give Afellay a negative response.

Im Moroccan and have been a PSV-supporter since the days of Romario when I was a kid way back. I could never understand the criticism about Afellays choices. He was born and raised in The Netherlands, does make sense to play for the Dutch squad. You can't keep everybody happy. Im very proud of him.

About his height discussion. Iv met Afellay in Eindhoven and he is about my height (1,82ish).

SeloBarca

I don't think its a 'dutch' thing. Iv noticed that especially Ajaxsupporters don't like him, because of the rivalry with PSV. He gets a lot of support when playing for the Dutch squad. Not once have I seen the spectators give Afellay a negative response.

Im Moroccan and have been a PSV-supporter since the days of Romario when I was a kid way back. I could never understand the criticism about Afellays choices. He was born and raised in The Netherlands, does make sense to play for the Dutch squad. You can't keep everybody happy. Im very proud of him.

About his height discussion. Iv met Afellay in Eindhoven and he is about my height (1,82ish).

Thats a funny thing about NT over the world, when players play in their clubs, the other teams fans throw so much crap on the other teams players and fans. But when they play in the NT, the fans that was fighting eachother after a game last week, are now best friends.
Everyone in Spain cheered for the Spanish NT, even though it was pretty much Barcelona agains the world.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Very happy to see the Ibra I saw at PSV, the player that looked like he could slot into Barca's system quite easily

Looks like the nerves are finally settling...that or Pep's Red Bull moment did the trick

Culeee

Yeah makes complete sense youre dutch when you can kick a ball.. but moroccan when you steal something.. With that said i completely agree with his choice though he would have never gotten his move to barca if he would have chosen morocco as they are complete sh#t

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Yeah makes complete sense youre dutch when you can kick a ball.. but moroccan when you steal something.. With that said i completely agree with his choice though he would have never gotten his move to barca if he would have chosen morocco as they are complete sh#t

True, sadly enough...

Co0ter

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, or another, that Afellay is a "keita-like" player. That seriously made me lol.

Afellay has more creativity and vision in his right toe than Keita has in his entire body. Keita is a workhorse you unleash only against certain teams where it is imperitive that their midfield gets disrupted. The only reason why Keita is on this team (and Mascherano doesn't take his role and share a defensive one with Sergi) is b/c of his height. Afellay offers much more, along with a high workrate as well.

Most said he was merely a "winger" option and mocked me when I said he'd be in the midfield with Xavi/Iniesta....Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Some are also saying Thiago is a much better player and will replace Xavi one day. Actually, no. Thiago is much more like Iniesta than Xavi....and Afellay is actually a lot more like Xavi. I don't see Afellay as a threat to Thiago at all, however I do see him as being a major threat to Cesc. Honestly I think Cesc missed the boat last summer and he's going to regret it for the rest of his life.

We couldn't have signed a better player for 3 million- he's worth 10 fold.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, or another, that Afellay is a "keita-like" player. That seriously made me lol.

Afellay has more creativity and vision in his right toe than Keita has in his entire body. Keita is a workhorse you unleash only against certain teams where it is imperitive that their midfield gets disrupted. The only reason why Keita is on this team (and Mascherano doesn't take his role and share a defensive one with Sergi) is b/c of his height. Afellay offers much more, along with a high workrate as well.

Most said he was merely a "winger" option and mocked me when I said he'd be in the midfield with Xavi/Iniesta....Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Some are also saying Thiago is a much better player and will replace Xavi one day. Actually, no. Thiago is much more like Iniesta than Xavi....and Afellay is actually a lot more like Xavi. I don't see Afellay as a threat to Thiago at all, however I do see him as being a major threat to Cesc. Honestly I think Cesc missed the boat last summer and he's going to regret it for the rest of his life.

We couldn't have signed a better player for 3 million- he's worth 10 fold.

Afellay is more similar to Iniesta than Xavi, actually, as many people before (including myself) have pointed out.

Home of Barca Fans