Ibrahim Afellay

J

Jordzibob

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, or another, that Afellay is a "keita-like" player. That seriously made me lol.

Afellay has more creativity and vision in his right toe than Keita has in his entire body. Keita is a workhorse you unleash only against certain teams where it is imperitive that their midfield gets disrupted. The only reason why Keita is on this team (and Mascherano doesn't take his role and share a defensive one with Sergi) is b/c of his height. Afellay offers much more, along with a high workrate as well.

Most said he was merely a "winger" option and mocked me when I said he'd be in the midfield with Xavi/Iniesta....Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Some are also saying Thiago is a much better player and will replace Xavi one day. Actually, no. Thiago is much more like Iniesta than Xavi....and Afellay is actually a lot more like Xavi. I don't see Afellay as a threat to Thiago at all, however I do see him as being a major threat to Cesc. Honestly I think Cesc missed the boat last summer and he's going to regret it for the rest of his life.

We couldn't have signed a better player for 3 million- he's worth 10 fold.

How dare you insult Seydou, leave

EDIT: There is a person called Jordi viewing this forum, :lol: Wow

Co0ter

I don't see how you can say Thiago will replace Xavi. Just watch them control the ball- they are completely different. Afellay can hold onto the ball, change positions/directions fluidly like Xavi and has short/long range vision. Xavi is more of a sit back and control the game type. When you've watched Thiago did you get that impression at all?! He likes to take on defenders and darts into plays- much like Iniesta.

PSV & Barca

I'm a big PSV Eindhoven fan so I might be a little prejudiced, but I think Ibi is a great player that fits perfectly at Barca. He has great technical skills, sees the game good, has guts and has a fantastic shot. Yesterday in my opinion he also played great and in 10 minutes he showed he is of additive value to Barca. So far I think Pep is also doing a good job, because the team that plays now there is not yet a reason to set Afellay in the first eleven. I hope we won't miss him too much, but it's nice to see Ibi doing pretty well at Barca.

Elite-BkD

I don't see how you can say Thiago will replace Xavi. Just watch them control the ball- they are completely different. Afellay can hold onto the ball, change positions/directions fluidly like Xavi and has short/long range vision. Xavi is more of a sit back and control the game type. When you've watched Thiago did you get that impression at all?! He likes to take on defenders and darts into plays- much like Iniesta.

Agreed regarding Thiago but you really think Afellay could replace Xavi?
Iniesta is the next Xavi imo, and Xavi could very well continue to start until around the time Iniesta is past his prime physically and will be less suitable for a forward/am role.

P

PhilS

I hope Afellay starts this Wednesday.

As the top 11 get more tired as all the games pile up the next few months, I hope both Afellay and Thiago can come on as subs in most games. Supersubs, able to change the game with their energy.

Culeee

Really ridiculous to say afellay could replace xavi or make us forget about fabregas i am all for optimism and seeing things on the bright side but come on now....

iced1776

No matter what, we will still try to get Fab in the foreseeable future.

This, why are people even considering otherwise. We could have 200 people in Cesc's position, we will still go for him next summer.

Thought Afellay looked phenomenal considering how little time he had on the pitch, had a little more confidence in his passing including that one brilliant long through ball to Villa (I think).

N

Neji1o

Are you guys saying that Afellay can do what Cesc does ? Cesc is the best replacement for Xavi (Thiago also will come to the debate), Cesc will do wonders if he get an year under Pep. Other fact is that Cesc will commit his future to Barce once he come here. So it is better to go for Cesc than anyone else.

kaisers0ze

I honestly think Afellay is being used for bait in our future negotiations for Cesc.

i really hope not. That would be like.. inhuman.. Business yes.. but not human.. unless this is agreed on together with Afellay..

Still the question rises.. could Afellay be more of value to Arsenal then he is to Barca?

In any case Arsenal should start looking for defenders.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Are you guys saying that Afellay can do what Cesc does ? Cesc is the best replacement for Xavi (Thiago also will come to the debate), Cesc will do wonders if he get an year under Pep. Other fact is that Cesc will commit his future to Barce once he come here. So it is better to go for Cesc than anyone else.

Can you tell me where does Cesc exactly fit in our starting eleven?! It's Xavi, Iniesta and Sergio in midfield and Pedro, Villa and Messi in attack.

Elite-BkD

This, why are people even considering otherwise. We could have 200 people in Cesc's position, we will still go for him next summer.

Thought Afellay looked phenomenal considering how little time he had on the pitch, had a little more confidence in his passing including that one brilliant long through ball to Villa (I think).

Bojan*
Though somehow the commentator I had to listen to got him confused with Messi. Second time I've seen that happen, first was his absolutely gem against Villarreal which was a little more understandable.

Home of Barca Fans