Alexander Hleb

Evil

Shabazz
It isn´t early at all, we´re already 7 months in the season and we need our players to perform well. I can´t even remember one match where he was worldclass. Even Bojan had his moments, but Hleb ... expect for that one time when he passed to Messi against Sevilla, I can´t really think of anything else.

maz

I walk the line
Who cares what he did in EPL, we need him to perform for our team, and I think it´s fair to say he´s had enough chances to play but he´s only going from bad to worse with each match, true he´s being played out of position, but I think he should have improved a bit during the past 6 months, Iniesta is being played in soo many positions, so is Puyol. I´m definatley not expecting Messi performances for him or anything, but there is basically no sign of improvement, and our midfield is quite packed so I doubt he will be getting a chance there.
Why should he have improved?? Should alves have improved if he was put in the DM position.

Iniesta isnt played in lots of positions..he is played in two. Central midfield and inside left. He used to play on the right but was largely ineffective. When he was moved to midfield and later the left was when he really came to life.

And puyol is a defender. His job is to defend. For a defender that started at right back and was moved to the centre, it is easier for him to adapt to a defensive left back role than for hleb, a right-footed playmaker, to play by the right corner flag. For a playmaker to play on his weak foot is one of the hardest in football. His asset is his strong foot. What good is his vision if he cant pass the ball?

Im not saying we should keep hleb. Im not saying he has performed well. Im saying its unfair on the guy to say "he is crap". Ok fair enough to say he is rubbish when played in the position he is being played in but to say outright "he is crap"??? Give me a break. He isnt crap!

maz

I walk the line
It isn´t early at all, we´re already 7 months in the season and we need our players to perform well. I can´t even remember one match where he was worldclass. Even Bojan had his moments, but Hleb ... expect for that one time when he passed to Messi against Sevilla, I can´t really think of anything else.
Against madrid he was on the pitch for a matter of minutes when he played that glorious pass down the middle to henry (or maybe it was messi..im too tired to have a look on youtube). How many times has hleb played in the middle? I can only really remember sevilla and madrid. How many times has he made brilliant passes? Twice..sevilla and madrid. Do the maths.

And that pass against sevilla was phenominal. I could watch that pass all day. To say it was inch perfect is an understatement. He could have split an atom with that pass it was so perfect.

Evil

Shabazz
Btw, he plays perfectley well with both his feet, so it shouldn´t be an issue if he´s played on the right wing, even his passing isn´t all that good .. or does he have to be in midfield as well to make a correct pass ? and Iniesta was a midfielder when he started, but he played in both left wing and right wing when required, and he still performed well.

I don't know what your on about maz, Hleb isn't crap ?! Sure, he wasn't crap for Arsenal .. but as of right now and this season with Barça, crap would be an understatement :smile:

maz

I walk the line
But that isnt to say he "is crap". Lets say u make a few bad videos with your new software..does that mean u are crap at making videos?

Segarra quoted the guy saying ""I feel sorry for the team that buys him, its like selling something that you know is bad and you feel guilt". That team would buy hleb knowing that he is a playmaker that should be played in the middle. It would be foolish to say we would feel guilty for selling him "knowing he is bad"..because he ISNT bad..he just cant play out of position. That doesnt make a player crap.

Evil

Shabazz
I don't know what Segarra said, I never said he was a bad player .. I just said that he sucks this season regardless of where he is being played, it may not be his fault but the truth is he wasn't good for Barça since the beginning of the season and to say otherwize is really not true ..

Usuing your example. If I made really cool videos for Arsenal players last season, and then this season I started making videos for Barcelona players which are complete bullshit, I doubt the Barca Fans will be saying I´m a good video maker !

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Ok, but this is not an Arsenal forum. It's a Barca forum and we all want what's best for us. You mention Alves in DM or some software for making videos, but we are talking about a worldclass player that have made (according to you Maz) 2-3 good passes in like 300 minutes and given away the ball or lost in some poor tackle the rest of the time. Xavi makes 3 perfect passes that could "split an atom" in 5 minutes on a good day.
It's not like Alves would give away the ball or lose it as soon as somebody comes close to him if he would play in DM? To be honest, I think that Alves would be a great DM :) He is already a defender/winger/striker. And Puyol is a worldclass defender and he can play in all positions in the defense. Messi can play on the left wing, right wing, CF and would probably perform excellent if played in the midfield. But obviuosly Hleb can only play as a playmaker in Arsenal 1 year ago.

Last edited:

Barca_Ray_USA

I think that the point is: there is no space for Hleb in Barca. At least not at his favorite position. And he pretty much sucks in the winger role.
So whats the use?

Zqa-

Danish site Bold.dk writes: "Right now, I'm in my best football years, and of course I don't want to sit on the bench. Bayern Munich is a unique and big club, and if they are interested in me, it's an honour" - he should've said to Sporting Life.

If he goes, good. Use him to get Ribéry, or Lahm.

maz

I walk the line
Ok, but this is not an Arsenal forum. It's a Barca forum and we all want what's best for us. You mention Alves in DM or some software for making videos, but we are talking about a worldclass player that have made (according to you Maz) 2-3 good passes in like 300 minutes and given away the ball or lost in some poor tackle the rest of the time. Xavi makes 3 perfect passes that could "split an atom" in 5 minutes on a good day.
Its 2-3 good passes having been played in the middle for about 20 minutes in total. That seems like a good return for me. Im not going to judge him when played on the right because that would be stupid. Fair enough, sell him BECAUSE thats the only position he is being played, but dont read into his play there. It was inevitable he wouldnt play well out there. Why do u think whenever messi moves around the pitch u never see him on the left? He's played there once or twice and he only looked remotely good because he is the best dribbler in the world and managed to get into the box. Not once did he make a decent pass from that outside the box when played on the left.

maz

I walk the line
Usuing your example. If I made really cool videos for Arsenal players last season, and then this season I started making videos for Barcelona players which are complete bullshit, I doubt the Barca Fans will be saying I´m a good video maker !
Lol thats not the same analogy! I said using a different software because thats comparable to hleb being played out of position.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
maz, he did score that beauty coming from the left vs. Atletico just a week ago

Yes, and Messi is playing a lot on the left for Argentina and doing very well. Listen Maz, we can agree that we disagree:lol:

I've seen Hleb play on the right many times in Arsenal. That is probably why we bought him in the first place, because he can play in the centre - but also go out on the flanks and then cut in, just what we want our wingers to do (and he can play almost equally good with both his feet!). Our intention was probably also to rotate him with the midfielders. He is a fast dribbler that can go for goal but also set up goals with good passing skills. But something has gone horribly wrong and thats why Pep don't pick him for the squad.
And yes maz, I know how good he was for Arsenal and Stuttgart - but it's 2009 and we're in Barcelona. And I don't doubt that he can be a good player for some other team. But the guy was expensive and he has not performed even 50% of what I know he is capable of (and don't give me that right wing argument again). If we won't get another quality midfielder in the summer transfer like for example Xabi Alonso or Fabregas, we could keep him and maybe he adapts and starts to play phenomenally for us. And yes, then all Hleb-haters will forget about this season and you could say "I told you so" and rub it in really good.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans