Zlatan Ibrahimovic

DrPepper

For sure the most overrated top player in the world. Has there ever been a big match in the CL where he has actually performed well?

Invisible in both legs against Chelsea and even got sent off for a stupid action, last year invisible in the home leg (injured in the away match). In 12/13 he showed nothing against Barca, only scored an offside goal after a beautiful Thiago Silva header that hit the post. And with Milan the season before he also didn't show up against us.

His overhypeness is similar to Pogba. Scores some beautiful goals and does some Youtube highlight reel skills that people find amazing but disappoints so often in big moments. Still many people think he is some kind of God (albeit that's mostly because of his ego and persona off the pitch). Only that at least Pogba is young and could become a world class player that will impact his teams performance for the better.

There's a reason he never won the CL, really. If he decides to move clubs at some point, I think he'll fit very well at Arsenal, playing with the likes of Mesut Özil.

BBZ8800

For sure the most overrated top player in the world. Has there ever been a big match in the CL where he has actually performed well?

Invisible in both legs against Chelsea and even got sent off for a stupid action, last year invisible in the home leg (injured in the away match). In 12/13 he showed nothing against Barca, only scored an offside goal after a beautiful Thiago Silva header that hit the post. And with Milan the season before he also didn't show up against us.

His overhypeness is similar to Pogba. Scores some beautiful goals and does some Youtube highlight reel skills that people find amazing but disappoints so often in big moments. Still many people think he is some kind of God (albeit that's mostly because of his ego and persona off the pitch). Only that at least Pogba is young and could become a world class player that will impact his teams performance for the better.

There's a reason he never won the CL, really. If he decides to move clubs at some point, I think he'll fit very well at Arsenal, playing with the likes of Mesut Özil.

He is impressive in terms of league tiltles.
Won titles:
-- Ajax 2002
-- Ajax 2004
-- Juventus 2005
-- Juventus 2006
-- Inter 2007
-- Inter 2008
-- Inter 2009
-- Barcelona 2010
-- Milan 2011
-- Psg 2013
-- Psg 2014

Hasn't won titles:
-- Ajax 2003
-- Milan 2012

More or less, if you have Zlatan, you will win the League title.
-- 11 titles in 13 Seasons
-- he didn't win the League titles only with Ajax in 2003 and with Milan in 2012

I doubt that any player in the world has more impressive stats in that area than him, plus, achieved with 6 different top teams.

DrPepper

Yeah League titles, but winning a league is often more about being consistent throughout a huge number of matches instead of winning important knock out matches.

You can easily win a league without beating your rivals if you win all matches against the small teams. Obviously not saying that his teams were like that, but there's a difference between CL knock out stage and league matches really.

It speaks volumes that he left Inter in 2009 only for them to win the CL a year later. Then he left Barca in 2010 and we won the CL in 2011. His impact in Europa's biggest stage is nearly zero.

EdmondDantes

Nah, that's preposterously harsh my dear fellows. He's the reason why I started watching PSG. I've watched him since he was at Juve.

He has not been the same since his injury this season, that much is apparent, he was averaging 1 goal a game prior to that. It's sad to see, I hope he gets that magic back but it's been a while now and I am no longer hopeful.

BBZ8800

Yeah League titles, but winning a league is often more about being consistent throughout a huge number of matches instead of winning important knock out matches.

You can easily win a league without beating your rivals if you win all matches against the small teams. Obviously not saying that his teams were like that, but there's a difference between CL knock out stage and league matches really.

Yes, I know.

He is the guy who will play good over 10 Months, especially against weaker teams each weekend.
He was really poor in CL always.

But Henry used to have similar stats and a similar "tag" on his name.
He was also for years known as a guy who disappears in big matches.
But still is remembered today as one of the greatest footballers of all time :/

On the other hand, if Barca would have won the CL when Zlatan was here, maybe he would stayed here, and the whole "history" would turn out differently.

Also, he was in Juve in 2005-2006 in moments when Italian clubs weren't as great as they used to be.
In 2005, we were extremely strong and lost to Mourinho's Chelsea.
And in 2006, we won the CL.
After that, he was in Inter, but then starts Barca's best era.

Basically, from top teams, Zlatan had only one chance with Barca, 3 chances with Inter.
Milan was poor when he returned there, and Psg isn't as strong as Top 4 (Barca, Real, Bayern, Chelsea) most people would say.

So, he is a choker in CL, but if he had more chances with some extremely strong teams, it would probably turned out differently.

Ursegor

World Champion
Nah, that's preposterously harsh my dear fellows. He's the reason why I started watching PSG. I've watched him since he was at Juve.

He has not been the same since his injury this season, that much is apparent, he was averaging 1 goal a game prior to that. It's sad to see, I hope he gets that magic back but it's been a while now and I am no longer hopeful.

lel

Leo_Messi

I don't care about his CL record. His league record is second to none. He has been unlucky in the CL though. 43 goals in total is not bad either.

Say what you want but he is arguably one of the most interesting characters in world football. Always good for a laugh, for some entertainment and most importantly stunning goals and details. I don't care about his fraud with Pep. Outside of that he has never said a bad word about FCB outside of a few comments in a book that was meant to be controversial from the beginning.

No way was that a red card.

Besides I would not rule PSG out. I could see them winning the CL. If Dortmund and Atlético could reach the final in recent years then so can PSG.

Trillske

Has there ever been a big match in the CL where he has actually performed well?
You are what, at least 4-5 years late to the party?
You´d be way harder pressed naming CL games where he hasn't performed 2010+. But sure, after tonight this is a pretty easy one.

Ignoring the years up to the Barcelona season, only one top attacking player has been as consistent in big/tough/CL games: Messi. Of course, Messi have to be judged at a level above everyone else, but you really only have a few options to pick from here:
- You have not watched the games - including the first game against Chelsea a few weeks ago! -, making your comment strange
- You think its horrible to perform worse in big games than Messi, which is really strange
- You don't care about the way the players perform, but only whether their teams win it or not. Which I suppose is subjective.

The big game choker tag was old years ago already, at 2015 its ridiculous.

Last edited:

DrPepper

Fair enough I guess.

One would expect his performances to eventually become better though. Since his spectacular goal against England in 2012 (I think) he has been overhyped to the heavens but never really showed why. He only has a very strange cult following him, where he is a legend because he likes to insult reporters or hug players during a match. And also because he is often referred as Zlatan (since he likes to speak in 3rd person of himself sometimes) makes him some kind of legend.

It's ridiculous to compare him to a player like Messi. An insult to Leo really. I don't know why you bring that up to this extent. Basically every other (top) player performs better in the CL than him, despite people always saying that he is a top 5 player. And if you think that Messi is the only player that performs in big CL matches, I don't know what to say to you. Very strange post overall.

PSG with 10 men yesterday were better than PSG with Zlatan really. Tells a lot.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Fair enough I guess.

One would expect his performances to eventually become better though. Since his spectacular goal against England in 2012 (I think) he has been overhyped to the heavens but never really showed why. He only has a very strange cult following him, where he is a legend because he likes to insult reporters or hug players during a match. And also because he is often referred as Zlatan (since he likes to speak in 3rd person of himself sometimes) makes him some kind of legend.

It's ridiculous to compare him to a player like Messi. An insult to Leo really. I don't know why you bring that up to this extent. Basically every other (top) player performs better in the CL than him, despite people always saying that he is a top 5 player. And if you think that Messi is the only player that performs in big CL matches, I don't know what to say to you. Very strange post overall.

PSG with 10 men yesterday were better than PSG with Zlatan really. Tells a lot.

+10000000

Spot on with that post.

L

linetty

You are what, at least 4-5 years late to the party?
You´d be way harder pressed naming CL games where he hasn't performed 2010+. But sure, after tonight this is a pretty easy one.

Ignoring the years up to the Barcelona season, only one top attacking player has been as consistent in big/tough/CL games: Messi. Of course, Messi have to be judged at a level above everyone else, but you really only have a few options to pick from here:
- You have not watched the games - including the first game against Chelsea a few weeks ago! -, making your comment strange
- You think its horrible to perform worse in big games than Messi, which is really strange
- You don't care about the way the players perform, but only whether their teams win it or not. Which I suppose is subjective.

The big game choker tag was old years ago already, at 2015 its ridiculous.
Mind=blown

Alik

He is impressive in terms of league tiltles.
Won titles:
-- Ajax 2002
-- Ajax 2004
-- Juventus 2005
-- Juventus 2006
-- Inter 2007
-- Inter 2008
-- Inter 2009
-- Barcelona 2010
-- Milan 2011
-- Psg 2013
-- Psg 2014

Hasn't won titles:
-- Ajax 2003
-- Milan 2012

More or less, if you have Zlatan, you will win the League title.
-- 11 titles in 13 Seasons
-- he didn't win the League titles only with Ajax in 2003 and with Milan in 2012

I doubt that any player in the world has more impressive stats in that area than him, plus, achieved with 6 different top teams.

Fully agreed.

Home of Barca Fans