Zinedine Zidane

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He isn't of course , but he is no inconsistent player who just shone in two finals and did nothing apart from that... particularly i remember many season like Quieroz one when towards the end the team was falling apart to injuries but he kept doing his best with no help
people tend to forget that Zidane came to Real Madrid when he was 29 not a young player & what he did was a lot better than any of his younger counterpart ..
so you don't compare Zidane time at Real Madrid with the 25-28 year old Iniesta (that's Zidane with Juve) .. compare him to Iniesta when he reach his age although again Zidane played a lot further than Iniesta & Iniesta played sometime as a winger more forward than Zidane ..they are similar in many ways when they have the ball although the Frenchman IMHO is much more artistic with his roulette's etc for sure Andres is a lot more versatile but i'd still take the Frenchman

Says the Frenchman ;) :p

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Yeah the headbutt was epic. For Italians :)
He may still be idolized in France or Turin. But people around the world will remember Ronaldinho more.

Not really, but Ronaldinho's main issue was that he fell from grace really badly, Zidane never did. Ronaldinho's win in the World Cup at 22 was attributed to Ronaldo and Rivaldo and then he was the scape goat in 2006.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
The thing about Zidane is that he was incredibly clutch.

Might not have been as consistent as he should've been throughout his career to match the hype, but there's no doubt he was a legend who stepped up when it mattered.

That's the reason he's rated so highly. That and nostalgia.

Reason R9 have kind of gotten forgotten is because of the way his career ended with injury problems and being overweight and all that.

Till this day, you have teenagers who never watched Ronaldo, idolize him. He hasn't been forgotten but there are players who remain relevant like Figo and Zidane, and those who disappear like Batistuta and Maldini and Ronaldo. Part of it is celebrity status. Zidane is a celebrity, Iniesta isn't (the two comparable players).

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Till this day, you have teenagers who never watched Ronaldo, idolize him. He hasn't been forgotten but there are players who remain relevant like Figo and Zidane, and those who disappear like Batistuta and Maldini and Ronaldo. Part of it is celebrity status. Zidane is a celebrity, Iniesta isn't (the two comparable players).

Can't say about how it is in other places, but here, I see kids and teenagers idolize other players. R9 seem to be mostly forgotten. Iniesta hot property too, certainly a lot more than Zidane.

But that's because few of those have watched them play at their pomp.

Horatio

You're welcome
I hear very little mention of Zidane nowadays honestly. Only time I hear Zizou is when it's used by my friends to call another friend who looks a bit like Zidane.

"Zidane" is probably the most common thing said to a frenchman in a foreign country

after "oui oui" and "voulez vous coucher avec moi"

He's not forgotten at all. Obviously people talk a lot more about active players. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 former players more talked about then zizou- I think only pelé, maradona, cruyff R9, Beckham and Ronaldinho are. For one reason or another. Lone star syndrom too, especially in the NT.

Last edited:

Alik

"Zidane" is probably the most common thing said to a frenchman in a foreign country

He's not forgotten at all. Obviously people talk a lot more about active players. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 former players more talked about then zizou- I think only pelé, maradona, cruyff R9, Beckham and Ronaldinho are. For one reason or another. Lone star syndrom too, especially in the NT.

omelette du fromage

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

Platini :pep:

Beast

The Observer
I wondered about this a bit when Perez made the decision to bring in Zidane. He spoke as if Zidane is surely ready to lead Madrid to glory sooner rather than later. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen, but the talent is there. Regardless, I don't think the fans will be so quick to criticize the legend if they drop points against us & ATM. Rather, I think there will be far more pressure on the players to the point where I can see Perez cleaning house with some of the starting XI. On the flip side, Perez has shown to be a "what have you done for me lately" type of president, so it will be intriguing to see how much time he offers Zidane.

He must speak like that... it's Madridismo... last person who said before a clasico that there is no way he can win it was sacked (Schuster ) however i cannot expect a novice like Zizou to match more seasoned coach with a much better in form teams like this
if it happens it will be a stroke of genius & luck but you look at Simeone and he had the core of his group for sometime & he was coaching them for 4 years + , Lucho gained the trust of the group & the fans and they won all there to be won so both of them has a huge upper hand on Zidane who will probably learn a lot from meeting them
that's without mentioning that the Clasico is at Camp Nou
There will be a clean up to restore the youth factor in the summer no doubt.. Ronaldo , Pepe & Ramos , Modric, Arbeloa are all in their 30's comes the summer
sure some are bound to continue like Ramos , not so sure about the rest

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
What's the deal with his assistant coach? Another one without a license?

Obviously this will account to nothing, but how can RM be so careless with this kind of thing once again? Is it because they know they won't be punished?

MaxY

Devil May Cry
What's the deal with his assistant coach? Another one without a license?

Obviously this will account to nothing, but how can RM be so careless with this kind of thing once again? Is it because they know they won't be punished?

They keep getting punished for everything these days(Copa,Transfer ban). As soon as Zidane was appointed he said that David isn't his assistant coach but part of his staff or something.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
They keep getting punished for everything these days(Copa,Transfer ban). As soon as Zidane was appointed he said that David isn't his assistant coach but part of his staff or something.

The thing is that those two punishments were because of two huge mistakes (more Copa than transfer ban) and were backed by previous sanctions of other clubs for the same faults, so it was hard to avoid them... My real question here is if there's something wrong or is it just a funny fact or something?

Beast

The Observer
He is Zidane childhood friend.. both were players at the same club.. Zidane career took over but he didn't
they remained close all those years & he has the talent but not the certificates ... Zizou counts on him on many things on & off the pitch.. you can call him his twin
I have to say here those license & certificates are complete BS... if Cruyff was an upcoming coach those days he wouldn't be allowed to work
If those things matter than a professor in a university would be the best manager in the world .. playing & managing has a lot to do with the character & talents than any piece of paper given to you by UEFA or FIFA ...managing a team is very individualistic , there is no "Correct way " of doing things and every manager has his input
and before someone say the physical side .. there is certified doctors for this who are part of the staff... they cannot teach how to see the pitch nor pick a talent

it's just another way to make money

Home of Barca Fans