Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windhook

The result is one of the few good things about this game. I can take that, I'm loaded with patience. I had the same approach for Koeman last season, but seeing how Xavi revitalized the squad speaks volumes about the Dutchman as manager.

Birdy

why not just say what the XG score ended up being instead of these vague reductive inferences?

understat has us at 3.37 against their 1.56

yes, if you include the pen as well we have substantially more xG than them, but if you actually analyze each and every one of our chances it's the ones I highlighted above.

And here is the thing: If it was a game where we managed to contain them, make them harmless, dominate the md and the tempo, and eventually produced only the 3 chances I indicated, I would be OK with that

But what actually happened is the opposite: they dominated us big time, and they have been sloppy in their final pass, so they didn't record the xG they could have.

Nothing to be proud of.

Sometimes it's as if the blood only reaches Birdy's mouth and not enough to his brain :) High voice but lazy thinking!

I believe with a bit better finishing, Barcelona will become more calm and self-assured and then play a lot better, it was a bit too much of panic and lack of confidence yesterday against a good opponent.

LOL

You didn't realize probably that your last 2 lines apply more to Villareal than Barca in yesterday's game.

By the way, I was expecting from you and [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] - who were the ones pushed more here for Xavi than anyone else - to be really strict in you judgment and demand a lot, but be honest at the same time and admit it when we play badly.

But what I see is double standards: when Koeman was in charge there were tons and tons of games ended in draws or defeats, where we were dominant but could not finish our chances.
And you were there every time slaying Koeman, but now you cut Xavi slack in a game we were quite horrendous

Bobo32

LOL

You didn't realize probably that your last 2 lines apply more to Villareal than Barca in yesterday's game.

By the way, I was expecting from you and [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] - who were the ones pushed more here for Xavi than anyone else - to be really strict in you judgment and demand a lot, but be honest at the same time and admit it when we play badly.

But what I see is double standards: when Koeman was in charge there were tons and tons of games ended in draws or defeats, where we were dominant but could not finish our chances.
And you were there every time slaying Koeman, but now you cut Xavi slack in a game we were quite horrendous

Just read my posts instead.
To talk about double standards and at the same time try and explain away the big gap in xG in this game isn't what you should do!

serghei

Just read my posts instead.
To talk about double standards and at the same time try and explain away the big gap in xG in this game isn't what you should do!

Relax, [MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION] is a Xavi hater from the start.

He jumped the gun though trashing him after our first away win this season and his 2nd win in a row in La Liga. In a match where we created bigger chances than the opponent. Ok, so we got dominated by Villareal for portions in the game. Are we Bayern fucking Munich or Klopp's Liverpool by some chance and I missed the news?

Hellooo... Koeman had us attacking with Pique as a 9 vs fucking Granada at home.

:lol:

Bobo32

He jumped the gun though trashing him after our first away win this season and his 2nd win in a row in La Liga. In a match where we created bigger chances than the opponent. Ok, so we got dominated by Villareal for portions in the game. Are we Bayern fucking Munich or Klopp's Liverpool by some chance and I missed the news?

Hellooo... Koeman had us attacking with Pique as a 9 vs fucking Granada at home.

It is still a big difference to Koeman, yes, but as I have written, yesterdays game made me worried I have been wrong about Xavi.
I think the potential in this group of players equals Bayerns or Liverpools (with one or two attackers added and with everyone fit).
It's tough to do anything though the way Depay plays at the moment.

Birdy was extremely positive to Koeman this spring, when it was very apparent he was complete shit, and he tried to explain it with xG numbers (almost all xG came through individual brilliance from Messi then of course)

Birdy

First things first: I am NOT a Xavi hater.
I was against his appointment for reasons I explained and might come true.
But since he was appointed I am behind him and want the team to improve.
That does not mean I will not criticize him whenever he deserves so.
Just as I will praise him whenever he deserves.

Contrary to both you and Bobo who were Koeman haters and did not see even the obvious things he improved or did right

Then again, 2nd win in a row when we didn't quite deserve it in the 1st game, and we were lucky in the 2nd game.
Since when, you look at results only? You especially, who were hating EV and didn't support him despite the results?

Yes we are not Bayern or Liverpool. I honestly did not expect us to be able to beat Villareal at this point, so I understand being inferior than them, they are a very well drilled side at the moment.
What does this has to do with admitting we played badly and were lucky?
In order to become Liverpool or Bayern some day, we should stop kidding ourselves

Birdy

Birdy was extremely positive to Koeman this spring, when it was very apparent he was complete shit, and he tried to explain it with xG numbers (almost all xG came through individual brilliance from Messi then of course)

From early Jan '21 to April '21 the team played the best football since Lucho left, and this was reflected in the relevant numbers.
Koeman and Schreuder are to be credited that. They found a system that got the best out of the group.
And has nothing to do with 'Messi's brilliance' fucking LOL :lol:
You are deluded to believe so

fast forward to today: Xavi is still a long way from reaching that 4month period under Koeman.
IF he manages, of course I will congratulate him and remark so,
unlike you and Serghei for Koeman

serghei

First things first: I am NOT a Xavi hater.
I was against his appointment for reasons I explained and might come true.
But since he was appointed I am behind him and want the team to improve.
That does not mean I will not criticize him whenever he deserves so.
Just as I will praise him whenever he deserves.

Contrary to both you and Bobo who were Koeman haters and did not see even the obvious things he improved or did right

Then again, 2nd win in a row when we didn't quite deserve it in the 1st game, and we were lucky in the 2nd game.
Since when, you look at results only? You especially, who were hating EV and didn't support him despite the results?

Yes we are not Bayern or Liverpool. I honestly did not expect us to be able to beat Villareal at this point, so I understand being inferior than them, they are a very well drilled side at the moment.
In order to become Liverpool or Bayern some day, we should stop kidding ourselves

What do you mean we didn't deserve it in the first game? Another absurd statement.

16 - 12 shots.

More importantly 6-2 shots on target.

66 - 34% possession.

Only thing that makes you say we didn't deserve the win is your bias against Xavi.

Of course that we're not gonna cruise through games and we'll have to suffer for wines with so many injuries and playing with kids in a lot of positions.

Unreasonable expectations is what you suffer from.

Because we didn't play badly, and had very good moments as well. Doesn't your holy xG stats say that we created clearer chances than Villareal in the game?

We had moments where we played badly, moments where we played well. It was an uneven game where both teams pressed well in spells and as a result, both defenses had issues dealing with pressure. Was probably our best performance away from home this season considering the quality of the opposition.

Last edited:

Windhook

Some people are still living in 2008/09. Those days will come with hard work and experience. Xavi is not Pep and in my honest opinion even Guardiola wouldn't have fulfilled his potential with the current squad. We simply don't have players in their prime like Eto'o, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Abidal... Messi at that point was the prodigy.

JamDav1982

Barca have not played better in this first couple of game than were before.

Most games have dominated the ball/chances and had poor spells both with Xavi and before.

Need to give Xavi time but so far cant claim it has got better. It hasnt in terms of overall play. The team looked clueless for large spells last night.

Last edited:

serghei

I see improvement, not a big one, but an improvement nonetheless. And the results clearly show it. Not to mention that we have an even bigger injury list than under Koeman. Add to that that Villareal is probably the best team we played away this season in La Liga except for Atletico. On par with Bilbao. The performance and chance creation was higher. This is why we scored 3 goals and missed another 4 big chances on top of that.

There are always gonna be problems when you play kids everywhere and players out of positon because there is no one else.

With hard work, I hope we can get some 5-6 wins in a row and get back into the fight for top 4. The team should improve as they adapt to Xavi's tactics more and more. Expect to see some improvements in fitness as well.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I see improvement, not a big one, but an improvement nonetheless. And the results clearly show it. Not to mention that we have an even bigger injury list than under Koeman. Add to that that Villareal is probably the best team we played away this season in La Liga except for Atletico. On par with Bilbao.

There isnt. Folk just choose not to moan about same things now its Xavi.

Nothing about a Puig agenda, playing Gavi every game, 'lucky' to beat Villareal who had more of ball and missed chances would have been all that was commented on.

How any times were folk bringing up 70% possession and more chances before when won or lost a game to make out as if played well? Rarely.

Xavi has his hands tied and too early to judge him but first two games are almost exactly in line with what had before but bit more rub of green. Sall margins that coaches have next to little impact on.

jamrock

There has been improvements but not night & day yet, our midfield & attacking patterns are better, but we are still disorganized in the defensive phase of the game.

It will come in time.

serghei

There isnt. Folk just choose not to moan about same things now its Xavi.

Nothing about a Puig agenda, playing Gavi every game, 'lucky' to beat Villareal who had more of ball and missed chances would have been all that was commented on.

How any times were folk bringing up 70% possession and more chances before when won or lost a game to make out as if played well? Rarely.

Xavi has his hands tied and too early to judge him but first two games are almost exactly in line with what had before but bit more rub of green.

Well, there weren't discussions about Koeman being lucky to win away games, because he had 0 wins and only 1 goal scored in 5 games or so. Fine if you think there's no improvement. I disagree, if anything the team is more positive and motivated without a manager saying in pressers how bad we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans