Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

linetty

Why? He always was. Xavi is the best midfielder ever. He doesn't have the legs to play too much, but he didn't forget how to play.
I mean, Xavi is still playing on a crazy level and Iniesta while being 5 years younger, already declined

I'd have expected Xavi to decline and Iniesta to suprass him but nothing has changed although chameleon eyes is already a grandpa

Ursegor

World Champion
I don't buy that he doesn't have the legs to get more minutes. Obviously not as a starter anymore but today he could have easily started and played the full 90 as he had 2 weeks of rest during the intl. break and only played some minutes in the Clasico. Fair enough that Lucho wants to integrate Rafinha and phase out Xavi but he better realizes quickly that Rafinha won't ever become Barca starting material. Give Rafinha's minutes to Xavi for another season and then buy some midfielders after that. Developing Rafinha is a waste of time.

serghei

I don't buy that he doesn't have the legs to get more minutes. Obviously not as a starter anymore but today he could have easily started and played the full 90 as he had 2 weeks of rest during the intl. break and only played some minutes in the Clasico. Fair enough that Lucho wants to integrate Rafinha and phase out Xavi but he better realizes quickly that Rafinha won't ever become Barca starting material. Give Rafinha's minutes to Xavi for another season and then buy some midfielders after that. Developing Rafinha is a waste of time.

True.

Alik

Very well said. 100%.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Xavi and Rakitic should have started in my view. Giving Rafinha minutes at CM over Xavi at this point in the season when Rafinha has all but proven he is NOT a CM, is beyond stubborn.

Team will continue to painfully drag forward their failure to sign another proper CM and relying instead on Rafinha.

Ursegor

World Champion
Is there a chance to convince him to stay for one more season?

Well, he has a contract so obviously Barca can force him if push comes to shove.

Lucho hopefully realizing that 35 year old :xavi: is still the boss:

Luis Enrique: "Xavi would have signed with Qatari team? He has an ongoing contract. Last year, it also looked like he would leave..."

G

Gasgas

Personally i prefer he does as he pleases. He has given enough for the club and if he wants to go he should follow his heart no need to come bail us out everytime because we can't make reasonable signings and replacements in midfield.

BerkeleyBernie

We're fucked if he leaves... can't believe he's still better than Iniesta

He and Iniesta have always played different roles. Xavi is glue, and moves to fix the team shape. Iniesta has comparable ball control and passing, but he's never been the guy to hold the midfield together (which fell primarily to Xavi and Busi).

There was one moment today that exemplifies Xavi's movement. He gave a back pass to a defender while he was about halfway between the center of the pitch and the right touch. Five seconds later, he is in the mirror position on the *opposite* side of the field (about a 45 degree angle difference from his back pass location) to provide the same defender a passing option.

No one finds space and fills the holes in the pitch better than Xavi. Brilliant.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
We won't see another player of his caliber in our lifetime - legend...And how sharp he looked in his 35 minutes of play, wow

The midfield has been the issue

Mido

He and Iniesta have always played different roles. Xavi is glue, and moves to fix the team shape. Iniesta has comparable ball control and passing, but he's never been the guy to hold the midfield together (which fell primarily to Xavi and Busi).

There was one moment today that exemplifies Xavi's movement. He gave a back pass to a defender while he was about halfway between the center of the pitch and the right touch. Five seconds later, he is in the mirror position on the *opposite* side of the field (about a 45 degree angle difference from his back pass location) to provide the same defender a passing option.

No one finds space and fills the holes in the pitch better than Xavi. Brilliant.

Exactly this, his movement without the ball is very underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans