Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajnotkeith

They completely neutralized City and had by far the more dangerous attacks (City just had more hail mary shots, but Real was through on goal a couple of times even if they didn't get the shot/were narrowly intercepted). Should have won 2-0 really, but football, eh. After City got their lucky punch it was all Real again and City somehow survived.

And that against the supposedly best team on the planet and heavy favorites. It's not 'anti'-Barcelona to give credit to your rival when they play an excellent match. I still hope they fail miserably in the return leg. But no need to bend reality.
City (and even all Pep sides) are notably worse in away legs than they are at home. I think City might actually be the happier with the game they played. Taking a draw back to the Etihad is an ideal position for City.

The xG ended like this - 0.70 Madrid, 0.56 City. Barely any chances were created by either of them, even if some Madrid's didn't register on xG that is the firm idea I got when watching the game. 1-1 or 0-0 is a very fair result for what we watched. City weren't great but Madrid were not amazing either, just a dull game.

An 'excellent' match by Madrid should be clearly outcreating them and scoring several goals more, which they have done plenty of times in CL.

mc_lovin

City (and even all Pep sides) are notably worse in away legs than they are at home. I think City might actually be the happier with the game they played. Taking a draw back to the Etihad is an ideal position for City.

The xG ended like this - 0.70 Madrid, 0.56 City. Barely any chances were created by either of them, even if some Madrid's didn't register on xG that is the firm idea I got when watching the game. 1-1 or 0-0 is a very fair result for what we watched. City weren't great but Madrid were not amazing either, just a dull game.

An 'excellent' match by Madrid should be clearly outcreating them and scoring several goals more, which they have done plenty of times in CL.

It's a flawed metric (don't let Birdy hear that). When actually watching the game Real were pretty comfortable and absolutely should have won. We can discredit that by saying Pep is shit away anyway, but not a huge fan of that. Reality is City are the best team on the planet and Real made them look average at best.

The match actually reminded me of Inter or Chelsea in their hayday, just a very controlled game against a 'superior' opponent from a deep position. Despite the other team 'dominating'.

And City obviously will be happy about it, they didn't deserve shit and got a draw. Well done with the return leg at home. Lets hope they actually show up for once.

JamDav1982

False.

Neither team created much and both scored from distance.

Not even close to some kind of masterclass to lose a lead to an apparently terrible City.

The game was no more controlled by Real than City.

Some are desperate to give too much credit to Real as expected City to scud them and making out Real stopped it happening and City couldnt break through.

In reality City were not taking much risks to try and win that game and for stretches Real were not either.

fergus90

How is that 1-1 considered a masterclass?!

It was a pretty even game that looked like it was being played at a reasonably laborious pace, problem due to the reported heat.

Rudiger had a very good game keeping Haaland quiet but it wasn’t some tactical masterclass to go to the Etihad with a 1-1 draw.

JamDav1982

How is that 1-1 considered a masterclass?!

It was a pretty even game that looked like it was being played at a reasonably laborious pace, problem due to the reported heat.

Rudiger had a very good game keeping Haaland quiet but it wasn’t some tactical masterclass to go to the Etihad with a 1-1 draw.
Indeed.

It wasnt in slightest.

They gave up a 1-0 lead and neither team created much.

The idea of it being some kind of 'masterclass' is because they didnt get scudded when some expected it. That is about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans