Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo32

People in here still believe that FDJ is a good CB?

I still do and still think he has more chance to play well there than on the Barcelona midfield.
I also think Xavi testing him there is positive for him, just as it was for Koeman. It shows they see what I see and that they have some vision at least.

Gnidrologist

I still don't like his buildup style. Why on earth would he completely deny the kind of midfield play style he himself became a legendary player in? Wer iz muh triangles? Is this just another Busi accommodation?

BusiTheKing

he clearly has a vision and it's clear that he has a good connection with the players -- from raising the excitement and intensity in our play to actively playing a role in bringing in new signings

but sometimes you do wonder if there are not some absolutely basics in how you set up a balanced, organized team that he somehow lacks.

it's like there is a disconnect from the vision he concocts in his head -- ingenius mastermind stuff no doubt -- and what it translates to on the field. last night Juventus, who were also poor, looked tactically much more composed and balanced. players were evenly distributed and moved like a unit in quick and flexible coverage of the entire field without leaving holes between them. we were the complete opposite.

we had a lot of very brilliant talent on there last night but were hardly able to utilize any (apart from Dembele). how many passes between Ansu, Lewa and Raphinha? you see that front three and visualize the weaving combinations they would be capable of running. but we saw absolutely nothing between them. as gnidrologist says, hardly any midfield sociality either. players simply dispersed and static.

vegitot

Gotta agree. Don't even think the midfield can pass the ball to Lewa. And a 34 years old Di Maria still can cut through the midfield like nothing.

Won't go far in UCL. Imagine facing Man City's midfield.

serghei

I don't think he lacks anything big. Just common stubbornness that most managers have at first, that he will need to correct if evidence directs him to it. I find claims that Xavi doesn't know how midfield is supposed to work comical beyond belief. :lol:

mc_lovin

Just seen the highlights so far, but we created a million chances against Juventus. Also our starting line-up was far from ideal.

Nico, Busquets and Kessie doesn't look homogeneous on paper, which makes me hope Real runs into the same problem with Camavinga, Valverde and Tchouameni. One of Gavi/Pedri needs to start.

Apart from that forget everything you see in pre-season. Otherwise Rafinha would be a world-class player :p Or United would be champions with some of the highest win percentages in recent years*.

*saw a stat they have ~80% win percentage in preseason and ~40% in regular season.

vegitot

Just seen the highlights so far, but we created a million chances against Juventus. Also our starting line-up was far from ideal.

Nico, Busquets and Kessie doesn't look homogeneous on paper, which makes me hope Real runs into the same problem with Camavinga, Valverde and Tchouameni. One of Gavi/Pedri needs to start.

Apart from that forget everything you see in pre-season. Otherwise Rafinha would be a world-class player :p Or United would be champions with some of the highest win percentages in recent years*.

*saw a stat they have ~80% win percentage in preseason and ~40% in regular season.

Juventus actually creates more in the first half. After they equalise in second half, Barca create more.

jamrock

Massive pressure on him this season, if he can't win the league off Champions league Carlo, then it's a disappointment for the season.

BusiTheKing

if we play remotely like yesterday in a competitive match, nothing prevents us from getting sliced open by a well drilled pouncing la liga side early in the game and having to spend our second halves straining ourselves to break down a deep block. sound familiar? don't even want to envision cl knockouts.

i think we have a far way to go as it stands. of course progress can come quick but not getting big hopes up.

Joan

if we play remotely like yesterday in a competitive match, nothing prevents us from getting sliced open by a well drilled pouncing la liga side early in the game and having to spend our second halves straining ourselves to break down a deep block. sound familiar? don't even want to envision cl knockouts.

i think we have a far way to go as it stands. of course progress can come quick but not getting big hopes up.

I think the squad is immensely talented and improved big time since last season, especially the first half. There are weak spots, mainly FBs, GK, and a DCM. But Xavi needs to prove he's a competent coach and build a strong team. Last night was piss poor, it's still preseason but he needs to set things up soon.

ajnotkeith

Has a top 4 squad in the world, arguably top 3. Time to win the LL and go deep in CL.

Would argue on pure talent it's the best. The difference is many of these guys haven't played together much, and some are very young so it might not produce the full capability it can do yet. But on pure talent we have so so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans