USA

Chainsaw

Killahead
You're moving there eh?...Whereabouts?

Coulter is a right wingnut but I actually think her views reflect the majority opinion on the game there

People on FB toasted her and many seem to be Americans. Year by year football finding more fans in US.

XaviMessiGirl

I've lost track of how many ignorant statements I've heard by patrons at the bars/pubs we've been going to watch some of the matches at. Not as bad as what's in Coulter's article, but pretty stereotypical views. I agree the fanbase is slowly growing over time though, I think it helps now that PL matches are no longer on pay TV (all the other European leagues still are though). Also, the fact that more and more star names are moving to MLS, despite it still being a retirement league for most of them, the names are there and that draws people's attention. And of course the fact that the USMNT is finally playing a pretty good brand of football.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
People on FB toasted her and many seem to be Americans. Year by year football finding more fans in US.

I'm sorry I can't take anything seriously when it comes to FB...It does grow, I'm sure, but not at all at the rate that is often hyped and will never supplant the big 4...Not in the foreseeable future anyway

There are pockets around the country where it is the dominant sport but for most of the country it peaks around WC time and when the US does well and then bottoms out when the next US sport starts their season

Galning

Nice, NoCal or SoCal?

LA, hopefully :)

Did you work something out with Oxy or did you settle on somewhere else?

I still need to take a "test of English as foreign language" later this month. Have to score at least 100 out of 120 to be able to apply to Oxy so we'll see how that goes. Most colleges ask for a 70-80 score so it looks like a no go but you never know of course. Depends on how difficult the test is.
Even if I score over 100 I still need to be accepted.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If you can, depending on where you'll be in LA, live near the beach...Hermosa morphed into the new Manhattan but I recall Redondo starting to clean itself up too...Beach life is one of the things to keep you from going insane from the traffic

Galning

If you can, depending on where you'll be in LA, live near the beach...Hermosa morphed into the new Manhattan but I recall Redondo starting to clean itself up too...Beach life is one of the things to keep you from going insane from the traffic

If I get into Oxy you have to live on campus the first three years. It's between Glendale & Pasadena, good neighbourhood? I'm not keen on driving in LA anyway, probably won't buy a car and rely on public transport unless I experience during the first months that it's horrible.
Have you lived in LA before?

This is all pretty off topic but I guess most people won't be put off by it in the USA thread :p Could move this to M&C otherwise.

Galning

wnnng.gif

(Only relatable gif I could find)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If I get into Oxy you have to live on campus the first three years. It's between Glendale & Pasadena, good neighbourhood? I'm not keen on driving in LA anyway, probably won't buy a car and rely on public transport unless I experience during the first months that it's horrible.
Have you lived in LA before?

This is all pretty off topic but I guess most people won't be put off by it in the USA thread :p Could move this to M&C otherwise.

I lived and went to grad school there...South Pasadena is cool although things will get expensive...I'll PM you a list of must visit places to eat etc

Darko

Amazing what they are doing at the World Cup, especially considering their whole squad is worth less than Neymar!

Home of Barca Fans