Trincao (on loan)

xxxxxx

I don't think the numbers add up though. If we have to reduce salary cap even without Messi, then we could never afford to re-sign Messi.

There simply isn't enough cap that could be reduced to renew. Messi in that scenario.

It means we drop the 160m current contract. Plus need to drop another 100m per year for his new contract. Plus need to drop 20m-ish for Depay, Eric, Emerson, Aguero.

So that's 280m or so of yearly salary that would need to be wiped.

Impossible. The numbers don't add up.

It does sound very shady. Laporta keeps saying it's down to the little details, but I think they're miles off from resigning Messi. As you said, the numbers just don't add up.

khaled_a_d

I don't think the numbers add up though. If we have to reduce salary cap even without Messi, then we could never afford to re-sign Messi.

There simply isn't enough cap that could be reduced to renew. Messi in that scenario.

I think we are expecting an exception for Messi, but we need to show some steps in the right direction.
Despite his comments, I doubt Tebas will stick to his word, there is most likely a loophole or pr move there.
Tebas is no fool, and while he might be a person that is easy to hate I think Liga has done decent job under him till recently. Losing Messi will hurt the whole league, as he himself knows very well. IIRC the election for his position is next year, so not the smartest idea to push club that way and punish the current Barca board for the mistakes of the last one.
A last measure will be taking Liga to court if we found no agreement.

khaled_a_d

It means we drop the 160m current contract. Plus need to drop another 100m per year for his new contract. Plus need to drop 20m-ish for Depay, Eric, Emerson, Aguero.

So that's 280m or so of yearly salary that would need to be wiped.

Impossible. The numbers don't add up.

As for the calculations
Tebas words is that we have to reduce 4:1 salary. i.e for every million salary added, we have to offload 4M.
So, if we say that we add 15M salary for the players we got (I doubt any of the 3 gets more than 5M per year), and we get Messi to drop his salary from 135M gross salary to let's say 100M gross salary.
The idea is that we spread Messi salary over 5 years. so if he gets 100M gross, that is 200M in total but he gets paid through 5 years. That is 40M per year.
So added salary is 15M+40M is around 55M. That means we need to reduce wage bell for 220M
135M from Messi deal, that makes 85M remaining.
I think it is doable tbh, we already moved on from Trincao and Fernandes, with Pjanic and Umtiti rumored to be on their way.
Coutinho is most likely the biggest issue, with Griezmann might be on his way out if we failed to move the Brazilian

messi2140

6racies Xavi
As for the calculations
Tebas words is that we have to reduce 4:1 salary. i.e for every million salary added, we have to offload 4M.
So, if we say that we add 15M salary for the players we got (I doubt any of the 3 gets more than 5M per year), and we get Messi to drop his salary from 135M gross salary to let's say 100M gross salary.
The idea is that we spread Messi salary over 5 years. so if he gets 100M gross, that is 200M in total but he gets paid through 5 years. That is 40M per year.
So added salary is 15M+40M is around 55M. That means we need to reduce wage bell for 220M
135M from Messi deal, that makes 85M remaining.
I think it is doable tbh, we already moved on from Trincao and Fernandes, with Pjanic and Umtiti rumored to be on their way.
Coutinho is most likely the biggest issue, with Griezmann might be on his way out if we failed to move the Brazilian

From what I have been reading that's the thing Tebas doesn't want, which imo is perfectly understandable. It creates a nasty precedence where clubs can acquire players they pretty much can't afford by paying their salary over x amount of years , which what we are pretty much trying to do.

khaled_a_d

From what I have been reading that's the thing Tebas doesn't want, which imo is perfectly understandable. It creates a nasty precedence where clubs can acquire players they pretty much can't afford by paying their salary over x amount of years , which what we are pretty much trying to do.

Can like it or hate as much as he wants. Not up to him to prevent us from doing it.

Joan

How so ? Surely if he says no , there is not much Barca can do.

How can he stop Barca from signing Messi on a 5-year contract worth say 50m if it's within the limitations?

Can like it or hate as much as he wants. Not up to him to prevent us from doing it.

Wonder what happens for the remainder of such a contract after a player is done with his playing years. Surely two clubs can't sign a single player. Maybe they could change the nature of the contact and make him 'an ambassador'. Don't know if another club could sign him then. If not, some form of a loan deal where we pay him the salary and the other club pays him via achievable bonuses?

Don't know if there's ever been such a deal. Wonder why. It's good at least for players signing their last contracts without worrying about playing for another club after the real part of the contract has expired.

Last edited:

Joan

The issue lies in still paying that contract while Messi isn't even playing for Barca anymore.

Sure, that can be a problem if they include such a clause in the original deal. But I'm sure they'll be able to find a way around it. In the worst case, the gentlemen's agreement would do it. So Tebas can't block the original contract.

Porque

I don't think there is much Tebas can do. And to be honest it is an extreme solution given the present times and the rules imposed by LaLiga.

Barcelona can work around it. Maybe in two years time and Messi does leave then it goes down as a 2 year loan to an MLS club.

Maybe Barcelona sign a 2 year contract with a salary around 55m. Then afterwards sign a 3 year contract in a non-playing capacity for 55m.

What Tebas focus instead should be on maintain and/or increasing the revenues of the league so the who Spanish eco-system can survive and not need the ESL.

Nazario1985

He has no right to say no, that is the point.

What ? it's not a slavery contract it's a work contract !

Of course a player ca, say no to a club. happened multiple time.

Trincao has no positive points staying here, he is not good enough even for a sevilla like club and his salary is not hat good so unless he has some grudge against his future club or league he'll go.

Prodi

Wolverhampton Wanderers will have an option to buy Francisco Trinc?o for €29m at the end of the season.
If they don't sign him permanently, Wolves will have to pay €6m to Barcelona as penalty.

We win either way.
6M+8M wages we dont pay this year. And we can sell/loan the player to other club.
or
29M+8M wages we dont pay this year.

Home of Barca Fans