Thiago Silva

MoFroBo

In every aspect.

Well you are either bitter because Eto'o couldn't manage a shot on target during two matches or you are blind. Well it is very debatable who is 'better' and such discussions are usually very biased, but isn't TS evidently faster? Also his brilliant game reading, man during whole season commited so few fouls.

He isn't Paolo, none puts him on that level, but currently his form is crazy and better than many last year's defenders. He is best Serie A defender and Pique is best La Liga's, both are champions of their own league.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Well you are either bitter because Eto'o couldn't manage a shot on target during two matches or you are blind. Well it is very debatable who is 'better' and such discussions are usually very biased, but isn't TS evidently faster? Also his brilliant game reading, man during whole season commited so few fouls.

He isn't Paolo, none puts him on that level, but currently his form is crazy and better than many last year's defenders. He is best Serie A defender and Pique is best La Liga's, both are champions of their own league.

LOL! No you are blind that when I say people overrate about Silva then you get the impression that I mean he's shit. Very mature understanding indeed! I know he's a good defender. I just don't think he's any better than Pique, Puyol, Samuel, Lucio, Vidic and Ferdinand.

Ash1899 watch your language from now on or we're gonna have a tough time here together! I'm not always cool head like that. When dick heads like you roam around I'm just ready to kick their fucking teeth down to their fucking throat!

MoFroBo

LOL! No you are blind that when I say people overrate about Silva then you get the impression that I mean he's shit. Very mature understanding indeed! I know he's a good defender. I just don't think he's any better than Pique, Puyol, Samuel, Lucio, Vidic and Ferdinand.

Lol you get worse on every post :D Vidic, Rio, Lucio??? We argue who is currently better, not who was best in their career.

I am not about overrate, I was replying about 'Pique is better in every aspect', because even who don't know what is a football will learn that he is faster and other aspects are debatable.

W

woobie

Posts deleted.

Quoting here Bojan's comment in the Spurs thread the other day as it also applies in this instance. Play nice, guys.

Posts deleted. Posting things just to taunt others won't be tolerated.
Same applies to Liverpool thread and any other thread for that matter. Personal issues or taking topics beyond EPL rivalry talk into mocking and taunting is not something we want on this forum.
If you can't be respectful then refrain from posting. Better than using a forum to vent personal frustrations

Phatroonaldo

He isn't. I for one think Pepe when not mentally retarded is better than anyone in the league. And Abidal has been the best defender this season.

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
I like Silva, but I think there's a bit of undeserved praise for him. He was very good this seasion, but in all honesty, he didn't have much to do - courtesy of three defensively very strong midfielders in front of him - Gattusso, Van Bommel and Boateng. On a rare occasion when he and Nesta had some serious defending to do, they looked quite shaky.

Ash1899

I like Silva, but I think there's a bit of undeserved praise for him. He was very good this seasion, but in all honesty, he didn't have much to do - courtesy of three defensively very strong midfielders in front of him - Gattusso, Van Bommel and Boateng. On a rare occasion when he and Nesta had some serious defending to do, they looked quite shaky.

I wonder if you even watched any Milan games. Gattuso, Van Bommel and Boateng doing much of the defensive work? Undeserved praise? Say what?. Nesta may have looked shaky at times, but Silva was anything but...

Every piece of praise that he got was justified. Milan's title win was based on it's defense. Nesta, Abate and Abbiati all played a huge part in that defense, but without Silva Milan would have never won the title...

There is a reason why he is Milan's player of the Season, ahead of Ibra...

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
In every aspect.

For the people who exactly don't know what 'overrated' means, overrated doesn't mean 'shit'! Lol at that guy mentioning Thiago Silva's yellow cards as a factor in this case. I don't remember anyone was talking about the GREATNESS of Thiago Silva last year when his club wasn't winning anything and he was a sub in Brazil NT. Now they talk as they are talking about Paolo Maldini!

And Now Silva got better than Lucio and Pique too! FFS!! :whatever: Yeah in what world we are living in?!!

I had the same opinion last year too. In fact many had the same opinion even last year. You can understand that if you knew majority of the people wanted Silva to be included in Ibra's deal! Even more than Pato!!

Co0ter

I think half the people commenting on Silva haven't even watched a lot of Milan the past 2 seasons. I've watched about 3/4 of Milan's games the last two seasons, mostly b/c I'm a huge Pato fan but Silva won me over almost instantly after joining the squad. The kid can attack like a bat out of hell and defensively he's been almost PERFECT, especially this season. Pique is the only other CB that has been as good as Silva, but that's mostly due to him having to play almost every single game and being solid. Silva was more than solid, he was outstanding....a defender of his quality with the speed that he has is invaluable.

He's a perfect CB for Barcelona, Milan just would never let him go. That and I wish he was a year or two younger...but regardless.

Last edited:

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
I wonder if you even watched any Milan games. Gattuso, Van Bommel and Boateng doing much of the defensive work? Undeserved praise? Say what?. Nesta may have looked shaky at times, but Silva was anything but...

Every piece of praise that he got was justified. Milan's title win was based on it's defense. Nesta, Abate and Abbiati all played a huge part in that defense, but without Silva Milan would have never won the title...

There is a reason why he is Milan's player of the Season, ahead of Ibra...

I missed one or two Milan games this season. Silva was very good, excellent at times, but I don't see him as Puyol class defender. Just my opinion... Oh, btw, you really think those three didn't do much defensively? I think that's one of the defensively strongest midfields in the world. If I remember correctly, Milan conceded only few goals from attacks through the middle. Most of the time, Abate didn't have enough time to return to defense, or Antonini was... 'well, Antonini', as someone put it :)

Ash1899

OptaJoao: 19 – Thiago Silva helped his side keep more clean sheets than any other player in Europe’s top five leagues this season. Unbeatable

W

woobie

Most of the time, Abate didn't have enough time to return to defense, or Antonini was... 'well, Antonini', as someone put it :)

:lol: How utterly appropriate, FTW! (I've missed seeing you around here! Is it true your boy bought a massive mansion somewhere in Sweden?) It's been rather fascinating to see Abate's progress this year and Antonini's...regression. Agree with you as for the strength of the midfield - depending on who's fielded - but I also think Silva's a top-rate defender. Not, perhaps, up to the level of Milan centerbacks of days gone by, but certainly very good. My sense is that he's going to remain in Milan for the time being.

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
:lol: How utterly appropriate, FTW! (I've missed seeing you around here! Is it true your boy bought a massive mansion somewhere in Sweden?) It's been rather fascinating to see Abate's progress this year and Antonini's...regression. Agree with you as for the strength of the midfield - depending on who's fielded - but I also think Silva's a top-rate defender. Not, perhaps, up to the level of Milan centerbacks of days gone by, but certainly very good. My sense is that he's going to remain in Milan for the time being.

Hi woobie :wave:
I read something on Milan forum about Ibra buying a real estate. There's even a photo of a house that looks like prison to me, but they say the real value is in the land around it... Abate was awesome last season and he's very young (right? :)). Imho, he'd be a better purchase for Barca than Silva, as a backup/replacement for Dani. Silva is one of the best defenders in the world right now, imho, but he didn't have a single performance on the level of, say, Puyol's performance against RM last year, or Pepe's against Barca this year. It's not his fault and he didn't do anything wrong, he just didn't have the opportunity to show as much desire, skill...

Ash1899

Hi woobie :wave:
I read something on Milan forum about Ibra buying a real estate. There's even a photo of a house that looks like prison to me, but they say the real value is in the land around it... Abate was awesome last season and he's very young (right? :)). Imho, he'd be a better purchase for Barca than Silva, as a backup/replacement for Dani. Silva is one of the best defenders in the world right now, imho, but he didn't have a single performance on the level of, say, Puyol's performance against RM last year, or Pepe's against Barca this year. It's not his fault and he didn't do anything wrong, he just didn't have the opportunity to show as much desire, skill...

umm, what?

The two Derbys against Inter where he shut down Etoo (one of the best strikers in the world) and made Pazzini invisible?

The games against Napoli and Juventus? Where he prevented the opposition from getting a single shot on target?

The second leg against Tottenham?

The final game against Udinese?

To name a few...

You may think Puyol's and Pepe's performances are better, but only because their style of play makes them more visible. I still seem to recall that both RM last season and Barca this season still managed to get a couple of shots on target (some of them absolute sitters) but couldnt find the net. Silva, on the other hand, goes about his job in a quiet manner. He doesnt get noticed because his tackles rarely result in fouls and keeps things simple with his passing, interceptions and clearances. Hence the reason why he got only ONE yellow card this season (and that too I think was for arguing with the referee).

One may argue that shutting down FIVE of the league's best attackers (Etoo, Pazzini, Cavani, Di Natale, Sanchez) would be good enough...

He aint no Maldini and he still hasnt reached the level of a prime Nesta or Cannavaro but he sure as hell deserves to be mentioned amongst the three best defenders in the world atm. Even calling him the best defender in the world (debatable) would not be too far off the mark...

DucdeOrléans

We won't sign him and that's fine. He will be 27 years old in September and we would be better with a younger option like Sakho or Hummels for example as Puyol still has 2-3 years left at the highest level despite his age.

Thiago Silva is great and has been one of the best defenders this season together with Pique, Kompany, Vidic and Hummels but we won't sign him this season as our priorities clearly lies in buying Cesc and Rossi and Sanchez or just one of them. And a left back of course (Jose Angel looks like he eventually will be sold)

And next year he will be 28 years old. Better to buy a upcoming man or stick with our own talents like Fontas, Batra or Muniesa.

But a Thiago Silva-Pique duo would be world class.

Home of Barca Fans