State of La Liga

Yellowmustard

Even if tv revenues were shared more equally, it wouldn't change much. Let's say we cut Barça's and RM's tv revenues in half and we give the rest to the other teams. They would each receive about 8 millions euros. Sure it would help them stay afloat, but it would do nothing to stop the domination of the top two clubs.

And I don't see how anyone can say the EPL is a model of fairness when the only two teams who can challenge Manchester United are owned by sugar daddies who do more harm than good by screwing up the transfer market.
You can't predict who will win the league. That's why people call the EPL fair. Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool all can win the league this year.

We all know barcelona is going to win the Spanish league this year.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Wolfe stop talking shit. You clearly dont know much about Spanish football.

Teams that were eligible for Champions League from Spain since 2001- Barcelona, Real Madrid, At. Madrid, Sevilla, Villarreal, Valencia, Mallorca, Deportivo, Celta Vigo, Betis

Teams that were eligible for Champions League from England since 2001- Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool

Spain had more participants. And to further highlight the ridiculousness of your statement, before Sheikh, top 4 never changed in England (bar one awesome season for Spurs) whilst it always did in Spain. Each year, you found new candidates for the CL qualification.

Do you even watch La Liga or just make up stuff in your head?

Edit- i keep on finding more spanish teams that have been eligible for CL

Jesus christ, I didn't even know we are talking about good times before 2006 (inclusive) when Pinto was getting a Zamora and all that, so stop having a go on me when you know what I'm saying is partially true. How many different teams have entered CL since clubs got into debt spiral and got their players bought out? First 6, Bilbao, maybe Getafe and Mallorca going into UEFA Cup exclusively due to a good season. That is ALL. Where is the freaking competition? When was the last time you have seen a club go from bottom of the table and reach CL or Europa?

It only proves how many teams are left that are capable of getting to CL and the number is decreasing, because they are shaking their butts when standing next to bloody Danish Odense or getting kicked out by Hannover. And why? Because of the TV right shithole that makes Spanish football worse and worse from season to season.

Last edited:

Guardian

Euh, Malaga and Getafe have just been bought by sugar daddies. I don't think they care much about the league as long as they have a new shinny toy to play with.
lol! lol! It's Malaga and Getafe vs Birmingham, Man city, Chelsea, QPR, Blackburn, A. Villa, Liverpool, Leicester, Sunderland - all owned by foreign investment and sugar daddies
Which is more attractive?

tbh wouldn't call the Getafe owners sugar daddies, they look scourge

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
The premier league is obviously the most competitive league in europe, you have 6 clubs all of whom have the financial muscle to compete for the title and also be serious in the champions league. The only solution to the gap in la liga between 2 teams and the rest is for rich billionaires to go in there and splash the cash at the lower down clubs, either that or the spanish fa need to be much more generous in spreading the money more fairly. Teams like Valencia, A.Madrid, Seville who should be the teams competing with the top two are going nowhere really, they are miles away from being able to compete and constantly sell there star players elsewhere, a.madrid have gone further backwards by selling de gea and aguero, valencia have lost another star player. Fans of Barca and Madrid always seem to take offensive when someone from outside criticises the situation, obviously they are content with the lack of competition in the league, but the longer that two teams sit so far ahead of the rest then interest in the division will go down, attendances and tv revenues will go down, so its in the interest of the top two to help bring the other teams closer to them.

The swedish 'Allsvenskan' is way more competitive... At least 5 champions in the last decade

W

woobie

You can't predict who will win the league. That's why people call the EPL fair. Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool all can win the league this year.

We all know barcelona is going to win the Spanish league this year.

I am going to disagree with this one -- I think many people will be surprised if anyone BUT United wins the league in England. The English league has been a duopoly for a while too.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
Jesus christ, I didn't even know we are talking about good times before 2006 (inclusive) when Pinto was getting a Zamora and all that, so stop having a go on me when you know what I'm saying is partially true. How many different teams have entered CL since clubs got into debt spiral and got their players bought out? First 6, Bilbao, maybe Getafe and Mallorca going into UEFA Cup exclusively due to a good season. That is ALL. Where is the freaking competition? When was the last time you have seen a club go from bottom of the table and reach CL or Europa?

It only proves how many teams are left that are capable of getting to CL and the number is decreasing, because they are shaking their butts when standing next to bloody Danish Odense or getting kicked out by Hannover. And why? Because of the TV right shithole that makes Spanish football worse and worse from season to season.

Why are you intent on making retarded arguments about EPL having more CL participants than La Liga? Even past 5 (since 2006) seasons indicate La Liga produced more CL participants.

Also, another argument that you are presenting is that, "how many clubs have got in from having a good season?" Read Osasuna. They finished 2005 on 15th and finished 4th in 2006. They lost out ot Hamburg in 3rd qualifying phase. So there- another gone.

Next argument- EPL had a standard big 4 for CL before Man City kicked in and bar Tottenham's one good season. It could also be said that it was due to Liverpool's demise that these clubs were able to sneak in. In La Liga, you consistently get a different top 4 each season. CONSISTENTLY.

Final argument- why are you equating EL to CL? No club ever takes EL seriously when they are trying for top 4 position because EL only increases the strain on these clubs who are banking on qualifying for CL.

There now, please go read some history of La Liga before presenting me with downright ridiculous and borderline stupid arguments.

JonM

lol! lol! It's Malaga and Getafe vs Birmingham, Man city, Chelsea, QPR, Blackburn, A. Villa, Liverpool, Leicester, Sunderland - all owned by foreign investment and sugar daddies
Which is more attractive?

tbh wouldn't call the Getafe owners sugar daddies, they look scourge

By sugar daddies, I'm talking about rich arabs/russian oligarchs with unlimited ressources and no one to answer to (Chelsea, Man City, PSG, Malaga, Anzhi, etc.).

And yeah, the EPL is more attractive. For obvious reasons (language, more money in the UK than Spain, international visibily). Not because it's a fairer league.

House of Flies

The reason why most of the stupidity regarding La Liga is stemming from the fact that Real Madrid and Barcelona seem to have endless amounts of coin. This is true. Real and Barca are atop financial leagues but this wasnt the case before and therefore, no one debated about equal revenue sharing from TV previosuly. Why? because La Liga was massively irrelevant. Serie A dominated and EPL was a new, very marketable brand. La Liga was like a retarded child that others enjoyed looking at but never paid attention to it.

Previous media figures indicate a similar percentage of TV revenue as of today but that was never a cause of debate for others because Barcelona and Madrid were experiencing identity crisis and did business to no end as they lacked a vision. That gave birth to the likes of Geovanni and Christanval donning Barcelona shirts. But that all changed with Laporta coming in, he drastically improved the revenue stream through commercial activities and Barcelona soon found itself beating Man Utd in the money league. And now with Rosell, it may even further improve.

Barcelona became a global brand like Real which made people want to see La Liga more hence further improving their media stream. And that has trickled down to other clubs who would be earning even less if it wasnt for Barcelona and Real Madrid brands. They have to credit these teams to make La Liga relevant and hope to attain the same brilliance of management because La Liga has good players, good coaches but horrible owners/presidents. And that is not Real and Barcelona's fault.

House of Flies

The reason why most of the stupidity regarding La Liga is stemming from the fact that Real Madrid and Barcelona seem to have endless amounts of coin. This is true. Real and Barca are atop financial leagues but this wasnt the case before and therefore, no one debated about equal revenue sharing from TV previosuly. Why? because La Liga was massively irrelevant. Serie A dominated and EPL was a new, very marketable brand. La Liga was like a retarded child that others enjoyed looking at but never paid attention to it.

Previous media figures indicate a similar percentage of TV revenue as of today but that was never a cause of debate for others because Barcelona and Madrid were experiencing identity crisis and did business to no end as they lacked a vision. That gave birth to the likes of Geovanni and Christanval donning Barcelona shirts. But that all changed with Laporta coming in, he drastically improved the revenue stream through commercial activities and Barcelona soon found itself beating Man Utd in the money league. And now with Rosell, it may even further improve.

Barcelona became a global brand like Real which made people want to see La Liga more hence further improving their media stream. And that has trickled down to other clubs who would be earning even less if it wasnt for Barcelona and Real Madrid brands. They have to credit these teams to make La Liga relevant and hope to attain the same brilliance of management because La Liga has good players, good coaches but horrible owners/presidents. And that is not Real and Barcelona's fault.

El Gato

Villarato!
At which point did I say EL is of the same prestige as CL? You seemed to think I imply this for some weird ass reason.. I've put UEFA into the equation because it's the European competition to which weaker clubs get into since they wouldn't get into CL, because of challenge of facing stronger teams.

Making an argument that there are more teams eligible for CL? No, never wrote that, I only wrote about EL.
CL participants since 2006:
Spain - Barca, RM, Villarreal, Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico = 6
England - United, Chelski, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Citeh = 6

That's to satisfy this argument.

Now the competition thing. In England you get various changes besides the big 5-6 (Arsenal will still be in there probably), hence why I'm talking about Europa.

House of Flies said:
No club ever takes EL seriously when they are trying for top 4 position because EL only increases the strain on these clubs who are banking on qualifying for CL.

What? You serious? Are you trying to imply clubs like Fulham, Getafe, Espanyol or I dunno, Everton are UNHAPPY about getting into Europa, because they were aiming for the top4? These clubs have zero chance of getting into top4, absolute none, hence why they are trying their best to get into Europa.

Teams from each country in EL (since 2006):
Spain - Espanyol, Sevilla, Celta Vigo, Atletico, Villarreal, Zaragoza, Getafe, Valencia, Sevilla, Racing, Bilbao = 11
England - Tottenham, West Ham, Blackburn, Newcastle, Bolton, Everton, Portsmouth, Citeh, Liverpool, Fulham, Birmingham, Stoke = 12

Satisfying second point.

Besides, I have no idea what you're even trying to argue. What's it all about? Is it to prove that La Liga isn't as shit as it is said to be? To say that Spanish mediocre teams are better than English mediocre teams? That's brave, but whether it is the case or not it doesn't matter. What matters is that Spanish football is going to rot with time whereas English football is more likely to stay as it is, continue switching and possibly improving in some cases, but not die from debt issues like certain clubs already have in Spain.

Last edited:

House of Flies

At which point did I say EL is of the same prestige as CL? You seemed to think I imply this for some weird ass reason.. I've put UEFA into the equation because it's the European competition to which weaker clubs get into since they wouldn't get into CL, because of challenge of facing stronger teams.

Making an argument that there are more teams eligible for CL? No, never wrote that, I only wrote about EL.
CL participants since 2006:
Spain - Barca, RM, Villarreal, Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico
England - United, Chelski, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Citeh

That's to satisfy this argument.

Now the competition thing. In England you get various changes besides the big 5-6 (Arsenal will still be in there probably), hence why I'm talking about Europa.

What? You serious? Are you trying to imply clubs like Fulham, Getafe, Espanyol or I dunno, Everton are UNHAPPY about getting into Europa, because they were aiming for the top4? These clubs have zero chance of getting into top4, absolute none, hence why they are trying their best to get into Europa.

Teams from each country in EL (since 2006):
Spain - Espanyol, Sevilla, Celta Vigo, Atletico, Villarreal, Zaragoza, Getafe, Valencia, Sevilla, Racing, Bilbao = 11
England - Tottenham, West Ham, Blackburn, Newcastle, Bolton, Everton, Portsmouth, Citeh, Liverpool, Fulham, Birmingham, Stoke = 12

Satisfying second point.

Besides, I have no idea what you're even trying to argue. What's it all about? Is it to prove that La Liga isn't as shit as it is said to be? To say that Spanish mediocre teams are better than English mediocre teams? That's brave, but whether it is or not it doesn't matter. What matters is that Spanish football is going to rot with time whereas English football is more likely to stay as it is, continue switching and possibly improving in some cases, but not die from debt issues like certain clubs already have.

What is wrong with you? You are distorting facts to your like. OSASUNA participated in CL 2006 and then got knocked down to EL. You have failed to mention that team anywhere. Where are you getting your facts from?

All the 2nd tier clubs that you are bringing in to the equation do care about EL but look at Napoli for example when they were superb in Serie A and had a legit shot at finishing in top 4. They TOOK that chance over EL because CL MONEY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EL MONEY. When are you going to understand this? Sevilla has a legit squad for top 4 this season and thats why, they are not going to try for it. Many clubs that are able to make the jump to top 4 DO NOT care about EL.

Seriously, Wolfe. Please learn about La Liga before you argue about its shittiness.

Here- I will give you a link where you can learn something more about La Liga that you have been claiming to be an avid fan of yet barely know about its recent history. Here's Osasuna's league positions link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CA_Osasuna#Recent_seasons

and here's their participation in CL 2006-2007---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions_League_2006-2007.

Reading is good for you not making downright ignorant statements. English mediocre teams are much worse than Spanish mediocre teams. English teams are already rotting but its not seen in public because most of them are PRIVATE companies and not PUBLIC like most of La Liga teams. A lot of EPL clubs have an owner that is underwriting their annual losses. La Liga does not have this privilege until Malaga came about. Seriously, understand the financial side of La Liga before you make such ridiculous statements.

El Gato

Villarato!
I was not counting teams that got into CL qualifiers, because they are irrelevant, they wouldn't make it through. Only those that do get through matter to the argument. And I got my facts from exactly the same site you got yours.

And what's with your Osasuna fetish? They didn't even get knocked down to EL qualifiers after failing to qualify to CL that year. Who is distorting the facts now? Anyway, they are a team on a slump like many others right now and they won't get any better, at least I don't expect them to like I do with many other teams that had their shots in Europe.

(Edit: Shit, my bad. Didn't notice them. I take that back.)

English teams are rotting? Interesting. Present me with some facts that you can prove that with.. Oh wait!.. You can't! That's fun and very relevant.

As to caring about EL, sure, many clubs don't because those many clubs that don't care are the clubs that are able to bet other teams and get further into it, but they don't want to, they prefer getting far in the CL, hence I agree with you making the point about Napoli.

La Liga is very, very weak, I call it shit because I take no enjoyment in making it look better than it is with the TV rights and management farce. It's crying in agony and results will not improve. I highly doubt them to get far on any front until Malaga makes its way to spots 3-4.

PS: I'm a fan of competitive Spanish football, that is pre-2007 La Liga. I'm not a fan of watching how two teams destroy the league (whether they aim to or not) which is what the situation is and will be in the next years.

Last edited:

Banana-Rama

as i said in a previous post, the only long term solution is to put all the giant clubs into a european super league and let them fight it out, the mega clubs will always be dominant so its really the only solution.................

Home of Barca Fans