Sergio Busquets

mc_lovin

When praise player as having great season then safe to assume happy with continuing of more of same.

Well, he had a good to great season. Same as Alba. Probably our 3rd to 4th best players. Which is a bit sad, but the way it is. That doesn't mean I don't want competition for them though. Which is the reasonable course of action instead of getting the pitchforks out. At least in my opinion.

And given we can't sign a DM, and we need two, he should stay. And hope for the best.

JamDav1982

Well, he had a good to great season. Same as Alba. Probably our 3rd to 4th best players. Which is a bit sad, but the way it is. That doesn't mean I don't want competition for them though. Which is the reasonable course of action instead of getting the pitchforks out. At least in my opinion.

And given we can't sign a DM, and we need two, he should stay. And hope for the best.

So you were happy with him as I said.

Cant remember many games v decent sides he was 'good to great' at all and looked dodgy defensively all season against good sides and bad.

Poor defensively against most level of teams and good on ball v mediocre/poor teams is fairly accurate.

mc_lovin

Cant remember many games v decent sides he was 'good to great' at all and looked dodgy defensively all season against good sides and bad.

Poor defensively against most level of teams and good on ball v mediocre/poor teams is fairly accurate.

It's getting tiring. I am done with the topic. Feel free to have the last word, but again, I didn't say I am happy with our situation in midfield, but it's the way it is. And we would be worse off without Busquets. Even if it's just vs weaker teams.

JamDav1982

It's getting tiring. I am done with the topic. Feel free to have the last word, but again, I didn't say I am happy with our situation in midfield, but it's the way it is. And we would be worse off without Busquets. Even if it's just vs weaker teams.

Nah it was about being happy with what Busquets offers and you are as think he was 'good to great' last season.

Worse off in getting beat by teams below Barca in La liga and getting pumped even more by Real and the CL teams?

Unlikely.

Busquets as sole DM and starter has failed for years aginst top sides.. but 'more of same please'.

FinBarcelonafan

YEah, Busi is the best we can have at the moment. We just have to try to survive. (that's the whole Barca..)

Co0ter

A massive liability vs top teams, especially ones with pace. Watching him get exploited and have teams counter attack us straight down the middle of the pitch is as sad as it is hilarious. Should of been replaced the moment Xavi and Iniesta werent around anymore to play the only kind of style he could ever thrive in.

JohnN

I have gotten tired of busquets. A true liability currently, he is a player from another era which is long gone.

khaled_a_d

Seeing grumblings of a contract extension until 2025.

The state of this club.

We are spreading his salary over 4 years instead of 5.
If anything, it isn't bad, doubt Busquets himself planning to be Barca player till 37. He has coaching aspiration and those usually don't stick for too long

Messi983

If he gets renewed until 2025 I think the only way he doesn't stay until the end is if contract extensions for the 2023/24 and 2024/25 seasons would be tied to his playing time in previous seasons (2021/22 and/or 2022/23). And even in that case that % of games/minutes required to play for his contract to extend would need to be set at something very high (like 80-90%) so we could hope he won't reach that and we could bin him off in 2023. But Busi and his agent are too smart to acccept a clause like that. If a requirement for contract extension will be 50-60% of minutes played he'll easily reach that as long as there would be no longterm injury (and he's almost never injured). And probably even more problematic is Laporta with his La Masia bias still thinks Busi could be a useful player at 36/37 when he has barely been useful since he has come into his thirties, lol.

I see neither Busi nor Pique or Alba having any decency to know their time at the club has run off and leave on their own before their contracts expires. They know their careers are over once they leave the club, they wouldn't get anywhere close to the money they're getting now (even if they take pay cut) and they also don't want to move their families to another country now that they're settled here. Would be very happy to be proven wrong but don't think I am.

So while extending Busi on lower wages would help the club financially short term (and that's why it will be done) I think from a sporting perspective it will set us a further few years back.

fergus90

I'm not sure, I can imagine Busquets still wanting to play after 2025. Especially when the attributes that further decline with age, were never his strong suit to begin with.

Messi983

Yes, he'll probably want to play after 2025 for Barca, don't see him want to play for another club though. But tbh don't really care, he can play until he's 45 for all I care if he goes to Japan or MLS. I'll support and wish him all the best there, just don't want to see him here for much longer.

Zidane82

You guys are so unappreciative .. the guy is a living legend .

Spain were going nowhere until Busquets joined the party .

Two games later they have scored 10 goals and are now the bookies favourite to win the whole thing !

Oh and Busquets won the official Man of Match in both games ...

Home of Barca Fans