Ronald Koeman

FC433

I guess maybe to discuss their thoughts on the season, and if they shared the same vision for how to progress the team next season? Shouldn't be holding public conferences though until a decision has been made after that.
That what Laporta said. He is trying to see what RK is going to offer going forward since such matters were discussed with the previous board. However, I agree with you, should have waited before having this conference.

delancey

Of course he should take most of the blame. I am not arguing whether Koeman should be kept or not (I am leaning toward sacking him if we have a competent candidate or alternative), I am saying the way Koeman is treated is not nice.

Kindness doesn?t yield results. Laporta has been honest and direct with Koeman, which he should appreciate being Dutch.

JamDav1982

Puig and Suarez and other players.
I don't care about them so much, but it's an ironic situation.
Puig was told to leave and apparently it was wrong that that info got out (I don't know if it was clear how it got out, but I don't think his management ever put out something like Koemans...)
Puig was criticized for staying and trying to work himself into the team anyway, and I don't remember him moaning for one word, he said the club owes him nothing.
What responsibility does Koeman take for the team getting its worst results since Rijkaard? He blames the players.

Koeman not rating Puig as a player is not remotely similar.

Puig was advised it would be better at his stage to go and play regular football and didnt think ready for first team regular minutes.

Was treated well.

Puig lack of ambition to prove himself is his own failing.

Klysmakabouter

Kindness doesn?t yield results. Laporta has been honest and direct with Koeman, which he should appreciate being Dutch.

He could have some class. Koeman has history with the club and stepped in at one of the worst times imaginable, out of love for the club (he had a great position at Dutch NT). Has nothing to do with kindness, a club with the stature of Barca should treat there own with decency and respect.

On top of that, publicly disclosing private medical information is just bad form, every way you look at it. Laporte is handling this situation horribly.

Bobo32

Of course he should take most of the blame. I am not arguing whether Koeman should be kept or not (I am leaning toward sacking him if we have a competent candidate or alternative), I am saying the way Koeman is treated is not nice.

Could we get exact quotes here? I read a live transcription - but what was the question and what was the answer?

I already knew somehow about the club looking for replacements but offering Koeman to stay if no good option was available - I knew about this before todays press conference and I read that it must be Koemans camp that leaked it - do you oppose that? And is it anything about the situation in itself that you think is terrible - that the club is looking for alterantives?

I think it is natural that they will do, and kind of nice of them to tell Koeman about it. If it was Laportas camp who leaked the info in the first place it is bad, but if the information is already there and they know it was because of Koeman, I think it's very nice and great to be open about it when the question is asked, especially given the circumstances before and how Koeman treated some of the players.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

What? Since when is decency something you don't have to have if it doesn't help you "yield results"?

And please cut that stereotypical thing about Dutch being direct stuff.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The President/Coach dynamic is not even comparable to players/coaches.

The President/board if does not want a coach can act on it and remove them.

If coach doesnt want or rate a player the best they can do is be honest of their position in squad and let them know where stand. Can advise board if best to sell player etc but doesnt have that final say.

Lazy comparisons to try and make out same.

khaled_a_d

What do you mean the last question about Koeman? Laporta mentioned Koeman's health scare at the very beginning, when he responded to the first question about Koeman, no?

Between minute 26 and 27 of his press conference:

I followed the conference through a twitter account, Laporta has been diplomatic most of the question/talk about Koeman, saying he has contract and we are trying to figure out if our vision is the same etc.
But up in the end, he was asked about if it can work if he can tell a coach "he will look for another coach and if failed to find one, the coach continue" and Laporta answered yes.
I am pulling this from my memory, I will stand corrected if you run a fact check about it.

The health thing didn't bother me, seemed like he was just wishing him good health

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Could we get exact quotes here? I read a live transcription - but what was the question and what was the answer?

I already knew somehow about the club looking for replacements but offering Koeman to stay if no good option was available - I knew about this before todays press conference and I read that it must be Koemans camp that leaked it - do you oppose that? And is it anything about the situation in itself that you think is terrible - that the club is looking for alterantives?

I think it is natural that they will do, and kind of nice of them to tell Koeman about it. If it was Laportas camp who leaked the info in the first place it is bad, but if the information is already there and they know it was because of Koeman, I think it's very nice and great to be open about it when the question is asked, especially given the circumstances before and how Koeman treated some of the players.

What quotes? How Laporta mentioned Koeman was in the hospital or the 15-day thing? If it was the latter, I don't know who leaked it and what camp, I am saying the fact that Laporta told Koeman to wait 15 days is just bogus. Way to go to treat somebody, let along he is a Barca legend. Also what a way to motivate potentially your manager for the next season.

Horatio

You're welcome
Never seen player/coach dynamic being compared to president/coach dynamic before in football. Never had an idea how much some hated Koeman lol.

delancey

He could have some class. Koeman has history with the club and stepped in at one of the worst times imaginable, out of love for the club (he had a great position at Dutch NT). Has nothing to do with kindness, a club with the stature of Barca should treat there own with decency and respect.

On top of that, publicly disclosing private medical information is just bad form, every way you look at it. Laporte is handling this situation horribly.
The same man who accused Laporta of leaking information gave away details about Koeman?s medical history to the press as well. In addition, Koeman is earning 8m per season, I believe. He is hardly doing pro Bono work at Barca.

Bobo32

What quotes? How Laporta mentioned Koeman was in the hospital or the 15-day thing? If it was the latter, I don't know who leaked it and what camp, I am saying the fact that Laporta told Koeman to wait 15 days is just bogus. Way to go to treat somebody, let along he is a Barca legend. Also what a way to motivate potentially your manager for the next season.

What khaled said above.
If this is the way it was (the same way I read it btw) then it's just an answer to a hypothetical question.
Regarding his health, if he knows he went to the hospital, he should say it, no? He shouldn't go into detail about why and so on, and I don't think he did.

But you just think it's terrible in itself that Laporta told Koeman the club is looking for other options straight up? OK

Bobo32

That's why delaying the election was very stupid decision. Better options and more time to figure things out.

Yes the earlier the better. Laporta should've been president in 2015 and a lot of stuff would look a lot better now.

He surely did look for a new manager long before the season ended though.
It's nice not to decide on anything before having spoken to Pep after tomorrow.

Home of Barca Fans